Better Bases, Enemies, and Events (Endgame)

So this is an idea that I have for Unturned 4.0 that I think would really help the game. To start I want to talk about 3.0 and one thing that I HATE about 3.0, and that is that I am always bored, there is nothing to do, especially in single player. When ever I decide to play Unturned I start up the game and try to find a good server, or if I’m really bored I will just try a single player world, but I can no longer play Unturned for more than an hour because I eventually just get bored because all there is to the game is find loot, kill zombies, find loot, build a base, find loot, do quests, find loot, kill zombies. Even in multiplayer, you get on and all the good loot is gone, the only people that play are the people that stole all that good loot, and everyone kills you on sight, it is just so repetitive and the only thing I do now when there is new updates is explore any new maps or look at the new items and then I get immediately bored. So because of this I propose that 4.0 needs an ENDGAME.

Okay so I don’t actually mean an endgame where you reach that and then there is nothing to do, but I mean something that you need to work towards to achieve. Sure there are NPC quests in 3.0 but for some reason those just bore me, all you do is get the quest, drive across the map, kill zombies/loot items, drive back across map, and repeat, there is no story or true purpose to it that you can’t do regularly in the game. Although I have heard that 4.0 is going to be more survival based which I really like because personally Yukon is my favorite map because there is more to work for, but even that gets boring. So even with this knowledge I still think that there are some things that could increase the survival aspect and increase other aspects that may differ from survival a bit because personally, even though I love survival, I think that it can get boring, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. So because of this I propose a list of things that I think could make 4.0 better:

1. BETTER NPC’S: Now before you guys start saying stuff like “NPC’s ruin the survival aspect” just hear me out. When I say NPC’s I don’t really mean people just everywhere or even large camps of AI controlled characters, what I more mean is things, like people, that put a story together. It is pretty obvious that the NPC’s in the game are intended to kind of put a story together, even between all the different maps, but I don’t think it does a very good job at it. So I think there should be something where you can find a traveling merchant in places but they walk around and are hard to find, or a lone man in the mountains that has you do things in trade for things like food or building supplies, or even bandits that wonder the map that are as hard to kill as players and carry guns and shoot at you and drop things like ammo and food, but not items, this would actually give you a reason to carry a gun in single player. But this isn’t even my main idea, just one that I’ve had in the past.

2. OBJECTIVES: Most people know that in Unturned 3.0 there are many things like notes that can be found around the map and can lead to things like Easter eggs or even just put a story together, I think there should be things like that but they introduce things that players need to accomplish (objectives). But not things like “Build a base” and then you get some xp, but something like “Hunt down and kill the monstrous zombie bear” or something that makes you want to go out and find and accomplish something, where you might have to wonder the map looking for signs that are random, like claw marks on a tree or blood that can show that what you are hunting has been hear recently, and then when you find it, it’s really fast and strong and hard to kill. This gives you something to work towards and gives you a reason to get better gear, and then at the very end maybe you get an achievement for killing your first “zombie bear” or “zombie deer” or something and then even get an in-game item, like the hide of the zombie bear that you can wear or put on a wall or floor as decoration in your home, personally I think that would be really cool and fun to work towards. But things like that I think would make the game more enjoyable.

3. BETTER BASES: Building and raiding bases are really the only good and rewarding things to do in the game right now, but even then I think they just aren’t done as well as they should be. Bases in 3.0 right now are too easy to make, I think that if more resources or skill was required to make bases then the game, especially in multiplayer, would be way better. On almost every server I go on the map is just littered with large bases that take up tons of space and are literally everywhere, if bases were harder to build then finishing a base would be much more rewarding, even if for bases you could make small camp grounds with friends that are easier to build but are easier to raid. I also think bases should fit to the landscape better, because large blocky brown buildings with not very good shape just aren’t too enjoyable to look at and don’t fit with the environment. I also think that bases should be harder to break into but to also have more ways to break into a base to increase the fun of raiding a base but increasing the threat. I also think that a way to decrease the amount of bases on a server is to make it so that the zombies and maybe even some animals agro towards the base the same way they would to players so that they start to destroy the base if they are too close to a town or spawn area or something, or you could just not be allowed to build in that area.

4. MORE DIFFICULT ENEMIES/LOOTING: One thing I dislike about playing single player 3.0 is that I get tons of guns but they serve almost no purpose, all zombies in the game can pretty much be killed with two hits with a melee weapon, especially when you have a high overkill skill level, so guns serve pretty much no purpose in survival. Because of this I think the enemies in 4.0 should be much more difficult to kill. By this I mean have different attributes of different enemies that make them harder to kill, like increasing the base health of all enemies, and increasing the speed of enemies like wild animals like bears or wolves and even zombies so that it is hard to hit them, even with a gun, and takes more shots to kill them so that you have to strategize before running into a zombie infested town or maybe even exploring a wolf den that has some sort of loot in it but you must kill all the dangerous wolves first.

5. EVENTS: This would be similar to something like the full moon but more. By more events I just mean more ways to die or get loot, this would still include the blood moon but could also include something like a random horde that starts chasing you no matter where you are on the map, it wouldn’t be too common, but something so that if you are in a town you might have to barricade yourself in a house until the horde stops or until they all die or stop being agroed, or if you are in your base with your friend and have to defend your base against a whole horde of zombies, and maybe even larger bases that have been around longer have a higher chance of hordes, this applies to the BETTER BASES idea to control the amount of bases. There could also be things like this but involving wild animals, or something where all the animals turn to zombies for a night, or something like that which could even give you a reward or something at the end, or maybe not. This I think would really add some diversity to the game and keep you on your toes because you never know what will happen.

So these are some ideas that I have for Unturned 4.0 that I think could really give some more interesting things to do in the game and really help give players something to work towards. Thank you for reading and I hope you all liked my ideas, please reply with any questions, comments, or concerns you might have. Thanks :smile:

3 Likes

Normally i read long posts but this is just too much :laughing:

About the Events; They sound interesting, but I wouldn’t execute them in the same way you suggested. I would rather have a zombie-attracting sound effect (e.g. screams, gunshots, helicopters etc.) that will lead them near the player, or just migrate them throughout the map. Project Zomboid, a game I think Unturned 4 should take inspiration of, does that really well.

2 Likes

@AnimaticFreak here’s another one for you!

1 Like

You’ve made a beginner mistake. Roaming AI isn’t going to happen.

However, like you, I’d also like to see better enemies (which have already been brought up on multiple topics). More limited npcs definitely aren’t out of question, same with stronger zombies. Maybe even auto turrets too.

I’d be fine with Objectives though. Same with improved bases. Bases ought to be fairly easy to set up in the beginning (aka wooden) but harder to set up end game bases like metal. However, metal should definitely be harder to break into.

Yeah my bad :laughing:

I’m not so sure that’s true that roaming AI’s are not going to happen, I say this because on the Trello Unturned 4.x Wishlist there is actually a category under NPC’s that says “bandit combat information?” (you can find it here https://trello.com/c/Qof30ql1/128-navigation) now I’m not sure what it exactly means because he hasn’t elaborated more on it on the wishlist but it is likely talking about NPC’s considering “bandit” is what everybody calls hostile NPC’s and it is under NPC’s and Navigation, so it is likely talking about roaming hostile NPC’s, and there is a question mark so it may just be something he is considering, but that still means it is a possibility and not fully out of the picture.

Yeah that’s an interesting idea I hadn’t thought of before, I think Nelson actually mentions something like this a little in the Trello Wishlist here https://trello.com/c/MXqbVIzb/113-zombies

I highly recommend against using that as a reliable source of information.

I don’t think roaming bandit ai will fit for Multiplayer, but would be great for singleplayer or co-op to spice up the end game tough some people say nelson has said no to this.
Events seem cool aswell, stuff like a crashed helicopter event as an alternative to supply drop by plane.
Zombies destroying your base should not be a thing, they should only be able to break into wooden doors and do some damage to your crops and fences…etc.
Objectives should be tied to NPCs, information found in supplydrops/crashsites etc.

I do like the crashed heli as another “technically” airdrop event.

Why wouldn’t this be a reliable source?

Yeah I fully agree actually that roaming AI should not be a multiplayer thing, just a way to spice up singleplayer, and I really like that helicopter crash idea as an airdrop, almost like the crashed helicopters in Dayz but more of an event than an actual structure

1 Like
  1. It’s a wishlist of random community and Nelson ideas.
  2. It’s not a roadmap, that hasn’t been released nor finished yet.
  3. It’s incredibly old and outdated, and there are things on it that have been confirmed as not going to happen.
  4. There’s plenty of actually recent posts you can use instead of an old Trello board for when you source things. The wishlist Trello board is better for ideas than anything else.

Oh okay I didn’t realize that I thought it was just all of Nelson’s ideas for 4.0

I like the idea of events and objectives. A great way to do this would for me would allow us map makers to place a captureable point or king of the hill sort of area that could have multiple uses.
There can be several points or just one.
With KOTH you can have it pvp only or make it horde beacon style defense, this can be a good story line if we attached it to objects like a water purifier or ammo dump.
Capture points would be cool if they displayed (or not) on the map like conquest for big team or faction servers it could takeable points that server staff and players can see it and habe rewards accordingly

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.