Heavy Vehicles

Here’s a suggestion involving a new class of vehicles; Heavy Vehicles. This class of vehicle is large, extremely tough, often can carry other vehicles and cargo, and generally has plenty of room for building a somewhat viable base on. However, these vehicles would lack any sort of defensive weapons, besides players themselves.

Heavy Vehicles are extremely rare to spawn to begin with, but also require a fair amount of effort to get working again. Here’s an example of this:

Cargo Ship: The Cargo Ship has a few set spawns around various maps with a solid water presence. When it does spawn, it will be damaged. The engines will need replacement parts, as well as a fair amount of scrap metal. These parts would be some kind of generic thing (named something like “Industrial Parts”) which would be used in heavy duty vehicles and base related things. In the case of the Cargo Ship, it will require a pump to drain water from the lower areas, before the engine can be repaired. This pump would be craftable, but would require rare
components. This pump would also be used (hopefully) in removing water from underwater bases.

Once the Cargo Ship is fully repaired, players would have to use fuel; perhaps Heavy Vehicle only fueling areas? I know that one’s a bit out there, but I could see something like a dock, oil rig, or something else that’s fairly heavy industry having a fuel line that could refill a Cargo Ship or other Heavy Vehicle. Otherwise, a more simple idea would just be that these vehicles need a lot of fuel to run.

Compared to the current 3.0 Cargo Ship Model, it’d be roughly the same size, but it’d feature a lower deck, where the engines would be housed. It’d have a ramp on both sides to allow cargo/vehicles on board. Maybe there could be a feature to tie things down? Also, the ship would move extremely slowly, enough for players to actively run around like they’d normally do.

Some other vehicles I would think fitting for this idea would be:
Blimp: Would be found on the ground and would need repair, would feature an inside for walking around in)
Heavy Dump Truck: Kinda like the 3.0 one but a tad longer in size. It’d have a pretty hefty health boost, but it would drive much slower. The bed would be movable as well.
Train: The Train would act very similar to current one in 3.0, but would allow players to actively move around on train cars. Some more options for fortifications/cargo would be included as well.

5 Likes

It takes more than one person to pilot a cruise ship and a blimp, also it would take a ridiculous amount of fuel, which it should in game if this was ever added, but i dont really want to see it added kust because of how much attention it directs and how large they are. I dont want to see the crazy pvp in 3.0 with people umbrelling and jumping out of planes.

Also there are only around 20 blimps on the entire world why would there be one in a random 20km by 20km section

Who said anything about

?

These vehicles would not only show up on most of the maps, but would provide an interesting end-game challenge. They wouldn’t be pvp related as they wouldn’t have any sort of weapons on them. They’d only serve to move things around the map, and for the most part fairly slowly at that.

Oh, and don’t try to use realism as an argument in unturned. It doesn’t work. There’s already a blimp in 3.0 anyways.

First off you can’t compare anything to 3.0, unless your taking about a feature that should or shouldn’t pass on.

I do agree with your idea about big vehicle (semi trucks etc) because it has a purpose and it is pretty cool to mow down a hoard of zombies in my truck, shooting a sawed off shotgun into the crowd.

How is this survival related? You are just painting a massive target on your back and waisting resources just so you can flex on random people on your server if its not for pvp. Its not that the suggestion is downright bad, this just seems so unnecessary

I think that it’s survival related as it brings a downside and an upside to using it. Sure, you are a massive target and the entire server might try and focus you, but that’s because they want that ship just as badly. Cargo ships can store lots of materials and you can heavily fortify the ship if you are in a clan. The ship also limits people to aerial and naval attacks as most of your time, you will be on the water in a self-sustaining ship (Farm, Water purifier). But the boat is not impervious, form a clan, find a heli and parachute onto the ship. Raid it from the top down, blasting doors and killing crew. Soon, you conquer the ship for your own and reinforce it better then the previous crew. Not to mention, the upkeep of the ship; things will break and gas will be an issue, but it refers back to my main point, huge upsides, with huge downsides.

tl;dr It’s just a large clan base but on water

3 Likes

Problem is there are so many things we dont know about the game yet to be making suggestions like this. In 3.0 you cant stand on vehicles while they are being used, will it be similar in 4? Who says you can even build on vehicles in 4? Who says there can be doors in a vehicle? Who says you can destroy them? There are so many assumptions made in posts and suggestions on this forum and this really annoying. Small non gameplay changing suggestions cant be made until the game is in a early beta

You will be able to stand on vehicles in 4.x, as it uses the Unreal engine with superior physics, and has also been confirmed.
Capture

You says you can even build on vehicles in 4?

While this has not been confirmed by Nelson, not being able to even place a crate in a pickup truck would be severely damaging to the survival experience, thus meaning it will most likely be in the game.

Who says there can be doors in a vehicle?

Because vehicles have doors, and houses will also have doors, unlike in 3.x.

Who says you can destroy them?

Well I mean, to raid a base, you need to destroy it’s weakest point. Coincidentally, that’s a door.

While I do not think this idea will even come close to being put into the game, I like it nonetheless. I also think it represent’s Unturned’s silliness of owning such a large vehicle, yet it also can be balanced.

The trello and your picture talk about physics as handling not standing on it, unless that’s what analog output is, im not a developer

I mean building clan bases which is what your example was

I mean actual physical doors that change thr hitbox of a vehicle and let you freely walk through them, not just an animation of opening to enter a car and then boom you are in a car like in most games.

If you can destroy a single door in a ship that means modular damage for vehicles which would be dope but that could get taxing with a massive cargo ship with rooms and doors and things

Modular damage is confirmed I believe

Modular damage, and doors which open and close were on the 4.X wishlist Trello, but that’s just an old wishlist, not a list of confirmed features.

That’s what the Analog support is, just simply meaning physics makes a lot more sense.

I mean actual physical doors that change thr hitbox of a vehicle and let you freely walk through them, not just an animation of opening to enter a car and then boom you are in a car like in most games.

Capture

If you can destroy a single door in a ship that means modular damage for vehicles which would be dope but that could get taxing with a massive cargo ship with rooms and doors and things

That could be another reason having the ship as a base could be good, raiders have to worry about not damaging it too much, hopefully meaning, items such as the precision charge will actually have a use.

i think a thing…
okay you have a cargo ship…
okay you have the entire server wanting to kill you… WHYYY???

Because a cargo ship have parts extremaly rare and utily!

I fell smell of hierarchy.

I hope you do realize I made this topic with the knowledge that vehicle physics would be far better in 4.0.

I understand it’s not truly the most necessary addition; but I’m pretty sure you could apply this same logic to various things we received in 3.0, like Jets, or tanks, or almost anything, if you find the right argument for it. And I’m just as sure we’ll get additions in 4.0 that people might go “Why do we need that?” End of the day, unique, interesting, and fun ideas that get put into the game makes it just that extra special.

1 Like

okay you have the entire server wanting to kill you… WHYYY???

The entire server would be after you, as everyone else realizes how good the ship is.

Because a cargo ship have parts extremaly rare and utily!

This is true, you would need a high engineer skill to upkeep the ship, but that is just one cost to having the ship.

I fell smell of hierarchy.

Every server has a hierarchy, you can’t really get rid of it.

Cargo ships should also be a common objectives for players that would be only possible with cooperation between players

Plz don’t forget about my semi truck…

1 Like

This is misinformed. You can, the only thing preventing it is auth physics, which was a feature manually implemented by Nelson himself to stop flyhackers back in the Canada days. Now, it’s possible to actually disable auth physics, therefore this is possible to some extent as well.

It’s also worth mentioning that physics were pretty limited in 3.0, while in 4.0 the entire framework is being redone.

Just because something is uncertain doesn’t mean people can’t discuss it. This is a forum, that’s what it’s designed for. A significant portion of the things coming into 4.0 have been suggested by the community, and certain things would not have been considered without the inspiration of these posts.

I personally find this suggestion to be perfectly fine, since it allows leeway for when things don’t go exactly as expected. In addition, using something like a semi-truck is perfectly viable and even makes sense given logic, because a survivor might be seeking something with a large amount of carrying capacity. Same goes to a cargo ship, which can totally be operated by a single person (although it would be quite difficult to do so alone).

6 Likes

I don’t personally see how such large and powerful vehicles would fit into such a small world.

1 Like

The world shall be larger, friend.