Machine Gun Belts

In 3.0, we all know of the total disaster known as the Dragonfang, Nykorev and Hell’s Fury. Massively overpowered weapons that are super easy to refill once you find them. 4.0 should aim to improve upon this.

Generally, machineguns take their ammunition from a belt that is fed through the weapon. The two main variants of this are non-disintegrating and disintegrating. The disintegrating belts have the links (the things that hold the rounds together) detach once the round it holds has been fired. This design is used in most modern machineguns, such as the M249 and M60.

But the question remains, what does this have to do with balancing? The answer is that this can make the ammunition harder to obtain, and not rarer. In 3.0, you can simply refill Dragonfang boxes with a crate of ammo, but in 4.0 it should be done in two parts. You’d get an empty box for the corresponding weapon, and you would have a belt for the weapon, that would come with little to no ammo in the belt. The box can be used many times, but the belt is one use only. This would lead to the weapons only being used when they should be used, due to the process of having to find the weapon in 3 different parts.

This would only really apply to weapons that actually use disintegrating link belts, and weapons such as the Nykorev/PKM would have reusable belts, albeit them being rarer along with the corresponding box, belt and whatever ammunition it takes.

12 Likes

I’d like to also add that this should work wonderfully in tandem with the other proposed mechanics for guns, such as barrel overheating as well as suppression, giving LMGs the role they were designed for while still being balanced.

Is this a typo?

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too lol.

What about machineguns that used cloth belts? mainly older WWI machineguns. I hope we have those. Big, heavy, and best operated with a crew.

in 3.0 dragonfang was the weapon plus I used to invade players.
realy i dont want see weapons equals or seem this weapons citeds.

alias have many ways of nerf a weapon like
recoil, damage, firerate, time shooting, precision, damage at distance, armor penetration… etc…
is good discut this!!

Unrelated to belts, but still related to LMGs, I hope they won’t be able to raid. LMGs mostly use the same ammo as ARs, meaning that if ARs can’t raid, LMGs shouldn’t be able either.

3 Likes

Did something change in 3.0? LMG used to be really weak and only good for destroying structures. Which is a disaster on its own.

LMGs in 3.0 are infamous for being able to damage structures, making them a vastly superior alternative to explosives in raiding.

If you didn’t know, 3.0’s structures and barricades are like in most other games where they are immune or resistant to most kinds of damage such as melee and low caliber fire. This differs from 2.0 and prior where you could literally destroy an entire base with a golf club.

That raiding capability, combined with how relatively easy they are to obtain through horde beacons, makes them OP, as well as broken, since raiding is not the intended use of an LMG.

I’m pretty sure that bullet damage in 4.0 will largely depend on the round fired, not the gun specifically, though I imagine the accuracy and optimal range will be affected by the gun’s barrel.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.