Open Discussion | Moon Phase Mechanics

Okay, someone mentioned Full Moons for 4.x and it got me thinking… is the moon cycle gonna be random like it was in 3.x, will it go through proper phases like in Minecraft, but still only be up at night, OR will it be a more realistic moon cycle?

I personally, like the idea of the moon rising and falling throughout the day, gradually changing phase like in real life. (about 27.3 days for a sidereal month and 29.5 days to complete a phase cycle, new moon to new moon.) Still, complete full moons are only visible near mid night, and complete new moons are only visible near mid day.

• Random phase “Unturned 3” Sun and moon cycle
  • “Minecraft” Sun and moon cycle
  • Realistic Sun and moon cycle.

0 voters

Also, I feel that the position of the moon in the sky should affect the overall strength, health, and spawn rate of the Turned, acting like a multiplier. For example, a New moon at Noon would have the same affect as a Full Moon at Midnight. The higher the moon is in the sky, the stronger the Turned.
Basically…
High Tide? No go.
Low Tide? Odds are in your favor.

• Moon’s Phase affects Turned
  • Tidal effect affects Turned

0 voters

(this last poll also brings to question the matter of tides, but I do not have time for that topic right now.)

how about both for the second poll XD

I was trying to edit the second poll, but I can’t cause there are votes already. Also, I thought of that but I couldn’t figure out the math to apply both buffs and debuffs properly (as they could be stacked or negated by each other)

If I get a moderator to help me, then maybe I can change the second poll.

Wasn’t the 3.x time already based off a timer, like in Minecraft, with the full moon happening every 3rd day or was that changed?

1 Like

I think it’s random. In minecraft, it goes through 8 phases, in unturned, I don’t think it does. At least it seems pretty random to me.

You’re basically right. The moon cycle isn’t random like OP thinks, it’s just really fast. Not 3-days fast though, pretty sure it’s been five for a while unless it was tweaked again.

@UltimateCatTree You can edit your poll by editing your original button. It might remove the votes already submitted though.

EDIT: I support a proper (at least longer) moon cycle regardless.

2 Likes

I just remember the 3-day as it was how it was in 2015, back in the good old days with Scorpion-7 in PEI, so it was most likely tweaked to 5 and I just had forgotten.

@MoltonMontro lemme check it again. Also, how do you do the line breaks?

Also, I was thinking about it, it’s always a high tide during the full moon, so the phase of the moon has some interaction with the tidal cycle, so having both Tidal Bonus and Phase Bonus on the turned wouldn’t really make much sense, cause you’d have two bonuses stacked at midnight when the moon is either full or pretty close too it.

Edit: I’ll let this bake and return to it in the morning to see what ideas have been posted.

How would the tides affect the zombies in the game? How would that work?

Personality, I wish like in real life, that the fuller the moon, the lighter it is outside, and say at new moon, the darkest.

also, I say more stealthy zombie types have reversed moon strength, closer to new moon, stronger and higher detection, of course that whoukd only affect a tiny population, but keep your guard!

1 Like

(pretty sure Nelson has said that somewhere, idk) (also, how do I do the line through text thing)

<s>text</s> is one way to do it.

https://wiki.smartlydressedgames.com/Upcoming_Features#cite_note-trello_night-71 Ctrl+F makes life easy. :wink:

Tides are affected by the position of the moon and the sun relative to the earth. I was thinking that the Turned could possibly be affected in a similar manner.

I know the moon is affected by the positions of the moon and sun compared to the earth. I’m just saying, wouldn’t be the same thing to the moon controling zombies?

Yes, but saying Tides just happened to be easier than explaining the forces that cause tides also affecting zombies. typing a paragraph for a poll option isn’t my style.

Tides are caused by the sun and moon.

As in their gravitational effects

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.