Suicide mechanics in the game

because???

1 Like

I feel like DayZ has a good suicide mechanic that could also work in Unturned. To make it not-as-graphic-as-it-can-be, your screen could probably just turn black and you hear a gunshot sound (if you kys with a gun).

1 Like

Just snap your neck
It is possible to kill yourself without using an item.
Jumping off a cliff
Snapping your own neck
Entering a horde of Turned
Drowning

1 Like

Yeah I agree, but it shouldn’t be possible just too “poof”. You should have to perform some kind of action.

1 Like

Is that even possible? And if so, I guess not everyone can just simply do it. I mean, snapping someone else’s neck already demands some skill, how tf can someone snap their own then?

2 Likes

Trip down a flight of stairs and hope your neck snaps

1 Like

If movement mechanics at UII will be as sloppy and dumb-ish as in TABZ (Totally Accurate Battle Zombielator) then probably I’d consider that as a possibility.

3 Likes

Yes it is
You just need to get the technique right
So let’s imagine that our characters are edgy suicidal teens that already know how to snap their own neck

1 Like

“It isn’t possible to (with the strength of your arms) snap your own neck. Just the same way as it’s not possible to pick yourself up off the ground, using only your hands. You’d have to have some sort of mechanical assistance. Part of the reason for this is mechanical. Your arms are connected to your shoulders, which are connected to your neck. You can strain muscles and tendons manually, if you’re determinedly masochistic, but you can’t rotate far enough with enough force, without rotating your shoulders and in turn your neck.”

Extremely rarely, one might accidentally tear an artery or have some preexisting medical condition that allows them to break their own neck with their bare hands, but to consistently and reliably cause a broken neck hangmen, for example, would use a large enough drop to create upwards of 1000 foot pounds of energy.

2 Likes

It’s not about strength, it’s about the technique

Strength comes in when you’re snapping someone else’s neck. But when it comes to your own, just get the technique right and you’ll be good to go

1 Like

Sources please?

1 Like

What the fuck have people turned this into

5 Likes

What lusod said

But thanks now I can die irl too

3 Likes

Been wondering exactly this just after like the 21th reply (actually).

4 Likes

Necks aren’t as easy to break as Hollywood shows. Even more when it’s your own.

Also how would someone practice the “technique” of breaking their own neck lmao

5 Likes

I’d leave suiciding to natural elements. Drowning, zombies, cliffs, etc. I don’t believe snapping your own neck and shooting yourself in the head was the ‘darker theme’ that Nelson intended. Not only would it be in extremely rare circumstances that you’d be in a situation where you’d want to kill yourself while you have a gun, but it’s a bit graphic for Unturned. It’s important to consider the main audience here.

Suicide in general shouldn’t be an option as it is mostly used just to find a better spawn. This isn’t quite ideal in a game that’s supposed to challenge you with harder survival elements and situations. With that being said, If II permitted suicide, I’d rather have the suicide button with a simple rag-doll collapse instead of snapping your neck or shooting yourself.

3 Likes

I can assure you that there’s stuff already happening in 3.0 that Nelson didn’t want to happen in the game despite its aesthetics and everything else, so I see a more realistic rework on suicide making really not a great difference, unless it’s no longer spammable. Also, being infected and not wanting your reanimated mutant self to kill your partners may be one of those “extremely rare” situations; if it all goes as good and hardcore as many of us expect, that will be a pretty common situation among new people.

3 Likes

“Nelson has implemented things that he didn’t originally want to”. Therefore this won’t make a great difference?.. :thinking:

Could you be a little less vague?

That’s a rather dramatic way of explaining a zombie that looks like you coming after your friends (just like any other zombie). Not quite as graphic as an animation for snapping your own neck or for shooting yourself.

2 Likes

Oh wow what a bunch of emu.

To answer what you guys are debating. Yes, you can snap your own neck. But not with your arms.

If you can do that. Please do that and then DM me later. Thanks.

Also, if you want to jump off the cliff. But it’s the netherlands. WWYD? If you want to drown but you’re in zimbabwe, WWYD? /s

How is this thread still alive? That’s quite ironic.

3 Likes

I actually can: I’m sure Nelson didn’t intend making a survival game to see it turned into a crazy 12 y/o PvP-Fest playground plagued with exploits and toxicity.

First of all, I want to confirm that I’m totally against players snapping their own neck in any way, because yeah, it’s unnecessarily graphic. But about shooting yourself… It isn’t like you’ll see your brains spilled everywhere or something; I support it because besides making sense and fitting with UII’s darker direction, it’s a fairly quick and much less graphic death, unlike…

I mean…

4 Likes