The Cold v. Turned

Unturned II is a different game, which currently is planned to have different lore.

8 Likes

I also feel like another feature that could make sense is that, Turned who have been ā€œfrozenā€ also deal ā€œfrost damageā€ to players they hit, such as slowing them down and decreasing their heat, and perhaps as a weird side-effect, getting hit by a freezing Turned would also make you a bit stronger, much like the colds effect on Turned.

Wait, how do you know this? We donā€™t know that blood isnā€™t flowing through their bodyā€¦ if it isnā€™t, how are they alive? And if their blood is cold, then certainly they go seeking out warmth to warm themselves up?

This is a fictional idea. If the turned were actual xombies, then they would be dead which is what I was trying to explain as to why they wouldnā€™t seek warmth. But since Unturnedā€™s lore says that the turned are just normal people affected by an alien virus, none of us can tell what they really need and how they function since it was made up.

wait, but a ā€œzombieā€ is also a fictional thing. The idea of zombies being corpses that can walk around and shit because of magic or whatever is just a trope.

But the Turned are not classic zombies . So we can use our imagination to try explaining them as a separate
SF concept.

Yeah, but xombies have been a general idea that all of us have seen tons of time, so we all know the main idea and explanation as to what they do and how they function. But an alien virus can be literally anything, so the fact that it was made up and unexplained in the lore adds too many variables to the turned and how they function

2 Likes

stalker da best

1 Like

If the cells are dead, then they cant move. But, for now, lets just say zombie cells work the same ad living cells. If you want to go down to the cellular level, the phospholipids in the cell membrane would move slower in the cold, allowing less movement across the membrane. Normally, the body would generate non-saturated fatty acid chain phospholipids which helps keep the phospholipids from coming toghether (i wont go into too much detail, as this is very generalized). So, if a zombie is dead, then the cell canā€™t make these non-sat phospholipids which would mean zombies would freeze faster than a human. But then again, if they cells are ded then they cant do anything. That is why zombies are difficult to understand :man_shrugging:

(Im such a n3rd D; )

2 Likes

By standard zombie fiction rules, a zombie is a dead corpse re-animated from some viral/fungal/etc infection of the brain. The brain is changed to suit the infectionā€™s needs, and the body is mutated as a result, turning most cells into easy to transfer infection cells, leading to anyone bit/scratched becoming an infected, and often making the skin stronger, making fingernails grow into claws, etc.

Anyway, since by those rules they are dead, and their skin is green, itā€™s safe to assume itā€™s due to rotting, implying they have no blood flow sustaining whatever human cells are leftover. Only the ā€œdeadā€ infection cells which donā€™t work like human cells, and by our logic arenā€™t alive, or at least not in the same sense as ours.

Thatā€™s my understanding of it, at least.

this is all about the brain, though. How does the nervous system work? How do they control their arms and legs, if thereā€™s no blood flowing through their body? How does the brain actually function if the rest of the body is dead?

mgc

1 Like

itā€™d make more sense if it was like rabies, making them violent and pretty much mindless creatures, trying to attack you and bite you, spreading the virus through saliva

FkVQ5Ii
Too muh science stuff for me. I stay with olā€™ good necromancy :3

Summary

Iā€™d assume the virus somehow sustains them with their own source of energy (Just some technical nonsense, remember itā€™s often some crazy science experiment, or in this case alien origin, so we donā€™t know the specifics.), and that same source of energy helps mutate (or is the sole source of mutation.) the cells to better fit the new zombieā€™s predator-like mind, to keep them alive, and at the same time keep them in control of the virus. Kinda like drugging someoneā€™s food.

Also, iā€™m sure the whole body, including the brain, is ā€œdeadā€. Theyā€™re being used as tools by the virus, theyā€™re not alive in the same sense as our normal cells. The virus doesnā€™t need much from the body besides bite or scratch someone, so it basically lets the skin rot. Think of the cells as cells that are between life and death, rotting and dying because the virus doesnā€™t care, but being kept on life-support because the virus does still need them to spread.

Also again, i bet the ā€œbrainā€ isnā€™t the hub of all the virusā€™s thoughts, rather the virus is some sort of hive mind and every cell can, in a way, think for itself, (Think ā€œThe Thingā€, since that was also an alien organism.) and the leftover ā€œhumanā€ brain is probably being used as a communication device for the human body. You destroy the brain, you cut off the virusā€™s communication to the body, the body ā€œdies againā€, hence a zombie, and the virus cells either lie dormant on the body waiting for another host to come near to infect via airborne disease or something, or they are completely cut off from their host and die.

1 Like

A hive mind is a singular mind controlling several beings.

Iā€™m guessing that was just a mistype.

Aye, i meant a bunch of organisms living as one.

1 Like

i think your first two points are a good idea. i really hope there are more cold maps in unturned II

Thank you, but itā€™s important to note that the Seasons changing will also affect the turned, it doesnā€™t just have to be a cold map.