4.0 TTT Gamemode - [MAP CREATORS AND CODERS WANTED]

Yeah I love Resistance, and I think it’d be a perfect map for TTT. Plenty of good areas, hotspots for people to be at, and some farther locations to spawn at or do dumb crap in.

1 Like

yeah TTT would be really fun

Dammit, looks like I bought the wrong modern warfare for that gamemode…

Minecraft maps specifically are so popular because they use all custom assets. Not everyone who has GMod has CS:S, so a lot of servers (especially for TTT) tend to run maps that don’t have such assets. Of course they’re still popular for other reasons, but MC in particular is ran a lot since everyone can properly run them.

3 Likes

I mean yeah, some people are too dumb to go download CSS textures (like kids) whom like Minecraft maps (Minecraft, blocky game, advertised to kids)

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhhh

There’s downloads you can find online, but developers and Steam Community Moderators have made it clear that it’s piracy. Some people aren’t interested in that, even if they’re only downloading textures so that they can play an entirely different game. I wouldn’t attribute that to people being dumb, regardless of stance on the various methods and reasons for committing piracy.

Old post, but there’s also Visual Blueprint Scripting. I wouldn’t recommend making the entire game mode only with blueprints though, because when it’s more complex it feels a lot more like spaghetti code. C++ would be much better for that heavy-lifting.

1 Like

thanks molt, really cool.

Hey Molt,

I would just be careful with that line of thinking. I am by no means an expert so feel free to point me toward information if my understanding is wrong. But entire games are built in UE4 using Blueprints only

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/6bwpie/games_that_just_use_blueprints/

Seems like c++ is only required for very advanced things like networking. Although even that can be done with Blueprints, perhaps not efficiently. The networking and heavy-lifting as you say will be taken care of on Nelson’s end of things so I would expect Blueprints to be completely viable to build whatever your heart desires.

You are right about it getting messy though. Just like code, there are best practices that help Blueprints be more readable. Comments, Flow, Minimal Wirecrossing etc… The Blueprint above is on the messy side.

2 Likes

Let’s just hope actual tratior weapons will be modded in so we don’t end up like the minecraft TTT port we got on the hive, with barely any good ttt weaps

1 Like

Plenty of games use entirely blueprints, or entirely blueprints except for multiplayer components (a stable online multiplayer component will necessitate C++, and so do some other things). Additionally, a fair amount of UE’s documentation is specifically aimed at those using blueprints.

Blueprints are good for many things; such as prototyping (compiling is quicker), some game mechanics, and learning the engine. It’s also good even if you’re experienced with the engine. Blueprints are easier, but C++ is going to be more optimizable and more customizable/adaptable.

BPs shouldn’t be avoided, but I wouldn’t recommend building everything in BPs. While you can always optimize your BPs to some degree, you can also optimize the code if C++ would just be inherently better for it.

It’s very common to use blueprints, but I still wouldn’t recommend being 100% only blueprints. Not because blueprints are inherently bad, but because you could definitely find something that could be handled better in C++.

EDIT: In the case of TTT, I wouldn’t know what components would be the heaviest, so most of that would probably come down to just optimizing the experience. Perhaps trying to make it a more modular experience, so you have stuff like various mods/add-ons for the gamemode that can expand it.

2 Likes

I would probably use blueprints if your not experienced with c++

also I think nelson said something about being able to code in C# for plugins so maybe there could be implementation of that so you could use C# in mods

2 Likes

Its interesting to read all of this, but its not like I can code - we still need someone to do that lol. But thanks.

Never too lae to learn enw skills. Espeically coding is great field to get into. And I’D wager you do not need to be at the top of your filed to make a game mode. Bringing in experienced people is a good idea, but alsoa greet oppurtunity to learn

2 Likes

learning is bad dont you know

1 Like

If I can BARELY learn a real language, how am I supposed to remember a coding language? I have memory issues, my dude. :slightly_frowning_face:

this

I’d say that there is a big difference between learning a regular language and learning a programming language. It’ll be worth it if you put time into learning at least the very basics of programming and there isn’t anything wrong with using references and documentation to figure out functions and stuff that you can’t remember.

All I hear is excuses son. Sure it might take you a little longer, but at the end of the day you ought to never stop learning. Hell, nobody is going to care if you just put up a cheat-sheet or whatever next to you. Whatever works for you.

Differnce? Yes
Big one? No
You are trying to express things you want to do ina way the PC understands it, instead of some exchange student.

I’d much prefer if someone could help who is “specialized” and know what they’re doing, and can keep everything optimized, flexible, module-istic, and smooth. I’d be the one making the maps, making the code, advertising, and more if I could. But even then, I wouldn’t get great at all of them, and that would be stressful, and would probably lead to sloppy development. :L

Hey @SDGNelson do you mind explaining how we might add things like Traitor Traps in the code of our supposed TTT gamemode? In GMod these traps can be activated from across the map, but sofar in UT2 you must be right next to things to interact with them. Is there anyway this will be possible?

i’m no coder but if i had to guess it would be making an interactable object that can be triggered at infinite range and through walls.

1 Like