Bendy vs Blocky Character Debate

Loving the top one. Add in more detail and probably a more polygonal head (maybe also rest of the body) for “roundness” and it’d be almost perfect.

If I’m too insistent on the additon of couple more polygons is because it allows deeper detailing in both animations and meshes for clothes/gear, and because squared characters make squared hitboxes, which are too easy to spot and hit tbh, like it was said above.

If you have the measurements of the model or a Blender file, please share.

1 Like

Okay so!

Reasons I oppose blocky-ness:

• Unturned’s bendy character models are a defining visual aspect of Unturned that makes it unique. Its much harder to relate or think of Roblox when the model is blended and bended the way it is. But introducing a blocky player model, with blocky body parts, just reminds me of Roblox, maybe Minecraft, and so on. It makes the visual artstyle less unique and original overall.

• The bendy playermodel is a contrast versus the blocky items and buildings that you find in the world. The only things that are smooth are the terrain and the player. The player is a unique contrast to the world, and I think that is important for reasons I can not exactly describe.

• The “pros” or arguments for switching bendy for blocky are, from what I can tell, a matter of visual coherency. With blocky and disconnected feet, you can make the feet actually align with the surface (assuming the surface is flat), or you can introduce fingers (for really niche animations or niche clothes like fingerless gloves).

• Personally the bendy smooth model seems like it would fit and present clothes much better than a blocky model could, in the aesthetic sense.

• Perhaps the art limitations of not having defined legs and hands adds to the aesthetic of Unturned? When you have unlimited options, making things can be hard. When you are given a narrow set of options, or a specific goal to work towards, art can be better. This is a much more abstract reason.

this looks nothing like Unturned and I hate it. The “hands” look unbelievably out of place, the disconnected arms and legs, and strict angles, make it look way more like a roblox clone.

The only reason I would support disconnected or “detached” limbs is so we don’t get those awkward visual and gameplay situations where, when you lay on an even slightly steep hill, your legs levitate outwards like you have the best leg muscles in the world. But then again, do you really need detached limbs to fix this? Is it not possible to address this in other ways that do not involve a complete body rework?

Prerequisites that would make me favor and support a blocky artstyle for the player model:

• The model would have to align with Unturned’s unique artstyle

• There would have to be more elaborate advantages to having detachable and blocky limbs, possibly things that modding could contribute to. Dismemberment, other aspects of the game. You’d have to really milk the idea in ways that are elaborate and interesting rather than just gloves and feet being in the right place.

• Gameplay-wise, the model needs to be simple enough to shoot at. Unturned’s player model is simple and as I said before, it contrasts with the environment and thus makes it easy to tell if something is a player or an object. When it comes to PvP, everything about Unturned’s player model seems okay, and it is one of the least concerns I have with creating a newer version of the game, because I do not know any way to improve upon what already exists.

As Nelson wrote, the aesthetic choices for certain items and objects are not visually coherent. Hopefully Nelson can, for now, pick a design choice that he thinks is good (for example, choosing hard shading). But to be aware of other designs he could adapt in the future to bring out a better, original, unique Unturned aesthetic. Basically don’t set the aesthetic and design choices in stone.

Certainly it is worth noting, that it is hard for me (and everyone else) to accurately predict what a good player model actually is until we try the game out online, publicly, with other players to fight.

I am far more concerned with adding other content/mechanics. Something as simple as being able to “ally” other groups so you can’t hurt them and know who is who would drastically improve the game in terms of playability and survival options, and requires no debating over design choice.

9 Likes

side note, can anyone think of an elaborate fix to the “bluntforce situation”?

I assume the problem with the BF is the player arm has to be a constant “length” but because the arm has to reach so far outward it bends and twists horribly wrong. idk I’m not a model person.

Look at it either as the Bluntforce is too long, or the arms are too short.

It’s both for sure

well yes I know what you mean.

The arms aren’t “too short” the arms need to stay the same length or else you’d have a grotesque long arm and nobody wants to see that.

The shotgun is very long, yes. But how can it be fixed without compromising on either the player model or gun model?

I think you’re too blinded by your fondness for the old modeling, my friend.
As much as you say it’s a unique aspect of the game, for the sequel, it doesn’t make sense to keep the same mistakes.

Unturned has a defined visual style, with the faces of the zombies and the style itself.

However, keeping the bendy character, only brings more problems, that is, you prefer to tie a new sequel, to the problems of the previous game, and prevent it from advancing and unlocking new mechanics JUST because “it looks like roblox or minecraft”.

And whether or not it looks like roblox or minecraft, doesn’t make it any more or less “unique”. what does it really matter? Unturned already has a style defined by the faces of the zombies, and the items themselves, so whether it looks like it or not is not a problem.
The problem is made by those who hate roblox or minecraft just because they say that “they are games for kids” and try to use this as an excuse to say that it shouldn’t look like them.

In my opinion, if Unturned 2 will improve everything that Unturned 1 couldn’t be, then to stagnate it and drown it in the same mistakes, is a serious lack of basic reasoning.

And forgive me if I’m a bit aggressive in writing it, but really, I don’t find the reasoning in trapping the sequel in the mistakes of the first game, EVEN if I know that it opens up more possibilities and mechanics to the game. :coy_smile_zombie_:

3 Likes

What happened to the slimmer character model?

1 Like

yes you can make the claim that this is “a mistake” but if you don’t explain why it is a mistake, then theres no point in making the claim to begin with.

As I wrote, the only “features” or “content” that has been brainstormed to be added, is fingerless gloves and feet “being flat on the ground”. Thats it. I’m not interested in either of those. Ruining the iconic playermodel that already works for those two features isn’t a good deal.

Blocky. The characters always felt a little off, since everything in Unturned was blockier and then you got the characters that were all bendy and clipping on itself and other geometry. The rigid body here isn’t great, but it gets the point across that rigid joints will make a better looking pose and animation in the end result. It just needs tweaking. I say rigid joints, blocky character.

EDIT: After scrolling down, i think this is a perfect example of how the blocky character would work best, minus the thick arms and torso. Those can be slimmed down a bit.

3 Likes

Looks beautiful, it think i really is an evolution of the bendy character.

It upgrades it, opens possibilities and fixes bugs that in other way, would take a long time for nelson to TRYING fix them ( if its even possible to fix the bugs of the bendy character)

So i think the blocky is just an evolution. Saying its ruining the iconic playermodel, doesnt make sense if u see that it opens more mechanics and fix bugs. gg

1 Like

@darkySp Yeah, I’m also tired of the arms and clothing looking wonky and stretched out as well as the weird clipping.

@AdrianWR Yes, upgrading the player model would be nice. Hopefully we get to see this new blocky player model soon in the alpha.

1 Like

Sorry, I do not posess any files of the models, sadly. I found these pictures on internet. You can use google image search to find them on sketchfab tho…

who really wants slender man back?

2 Likes

Me.
Ehnbvhjc in

Only people who want to see the world burn would ever hope to see the slender man model again

2 Likes

new=/=better. This is the “appeal to novelty” logical fallacy.

like… fingerless gloves? thats it so far.

what bugs?

again, new=/=better

blocky looks ugly
bendy needs to be slimmer around hands and torso
and this. this is perfection

3 Likes

@RainOfPain125
>implying I didn’t give feedback
Come on dude, I think the blocky player model is better mainly because of the mess that the bendy model in it’s current state is. Sure it has it’s charm, but I personally think blocky will be a lot less messy to work with for modders. Ergo, animations that modders will work on will be less of a nightmare than they were before hand.

I am currently leaning more towards the blocky model, but I would prefer to try it out in the beta. Either on a zombie or the player.

1 Like