Chemistry

Currently we have laboratories but are not usable, my idea is that we can put energy in it and use it or even pick up the equipment and take it to its base and set up a laboratory in it, in order to use the equipment you will need a skill at most (the name can be very self-explanatory chemist) by putting test tubes in the centrifuge with some raw materials like the chemicals we currently have in the unturned found in laboratories and gas stations, but could be a scientific chemical suitable for laboratory use, and perhaps mushrooms or plants , the method would be to make a combination then mix with another combination and so on each combination requiring a glass of poode chemicals do many things like: -Medicines: a simple liquid in the test tube that cures 30% of infection. -Acid: Basic acid can be thrown against players taking 25% of life gradually. - Fertilizer: A chemical fertilizer makes a plant give more fruits but with inferior quality to a plant that used a common fertilizer. -Poison: only poison you can infect water or even pass arrows that when they hit a player make you lose another 10% of life gradually.

2 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

It is an acid that only burns the skin so use it in battles.

1 Like

Maybe Laboratorys could be used to upgrade weaponry

2 Likes

Centrifuges should be able to mix certain chemicals, for example saltpeter for the production of blackpowder, chloroform and ether for use as anesthesia or knockout gas, antibiotics, and other drugs and chemicals.

4 Likes

It also crossed my mind the possibility of making explosives but I do not think anyone would spend hard-to-find resources on something you can find on military bases.

1 Like

I like the entire concept, as I’ve mentioned before that there should be more chemicals components and ways to treat them, so there would be a big lot of products and applications for them.

1 Like

To clarify: the joke was that basic can be used as a synonym for alkaline and thus, the opposite of an acid.

4 Likes

Ahh, it was a good joke.

1 Like

If my jokes were good, I wouldn’t have to explain them.
On the idea of chemistry, I think having more types of chemicals makes sense, but I’m not sure about crafting stations exclusively for chemistry are necessary. A distillery for alcohol and a distillery for chemistry are functionally the same (sure chemicals might contaminate alcohol, but if it’s dirty enough to contaminate alcohol, then it’s dirty enough to contaminate a chemical solution. You could use a centrifuge, or you could use a glass stirrer, or you could just swirl the flask, or (depending on what you’re mixing,) you could use a spoon, a whisk, or a blender. If crafting times are still planned, it could be practical to use electricity to mix things, but otherwise it would be frustrating not to be able to do it by hand. A Bunsen burner is just a fire, you can get the same effect by putting the right top onto a blowtorch, and very similar effects from any other blowtorch, stovetop, or campfire. I could go on, but I think this point has been made. Instead of labs being places that you go to so you can get lab equipment, I think they should be much more important as sources for a variety of chemicals. I do not agree that a chemistry skill should be required to even attempt to mix chemicals. Your ability to craft something is already limited by what materials, tools, and crafting stations you have access to, additional restrictions based on getting a skill to an arbitrary level (remember that skills will be improved by doing things, not by actively choosing to spend a skill points) would be needlessly confusing. Instead skills should improve the quality of products, and the efficiency of production (less wear on tools, less resources per product, faster production time, or something like that.) I was planning to say something more about chemical products and ingredients, but this reply has already ended up far longer than I initially planned, so maybe I’ll do that later.

2 Likes

As someone who’s in university level chemistry courses right now, I don’t know how I feel about this suggestion.

Mostly though I don’t think that it’s fitting for Unturned II in the way that you described it at least.

2 Likes

As of now, we don’t really know “most” of the thing in II so suggesting something with II’s feature now would be somewhat confusing and frustrating.

For an example.

We don’t know if fertilizer can be crafted with a rope (like in 3.0) or if it’s going to need an actual dung (or composted foods) to make it. If the normal fertilizer is hard to find and hard to use, then sure. This might worth using, but if it’s not. Then it certainly easier than using lab equipment to make “synthetic-dung” that’s even worst.

If it’s a direct hit.

This one is “kinda” ok, but I personally wish it was something like… The sims’s potions.

But instead of “Invisible potions” and “Reverse personality” potion, we have “cures 50% infection” potion, “cures 30% infection” potion, “Added 20% infection” potion, “Tripping” potion and so fourth. (Very confusing indeed.)

Is this minecraft?

I’m pretty sure that getting hit by an arrow tipped with poison and drinking an entire bottle of poison (considered that it’s an entire test tube worth of poison) would have different outcomes.

Overall, as long as these things for just 1 feature don’t outweigh the other “simple but useful” goods. I’m ok with it. (Which I know it won’t. Sadly.)

1 Like

While this might seem like a good idea in theory, we have to think about it about how it would work in practice. This is a tough subject to find a perfect balance between 3 variables that all depend of each other: Complexity, Accessibility and Usefulness.

If it was to be done “realistically”, where you’d be able to already find multiple different chemical compounds, then it would impede on the accessibility of it if multiple items would be required to use plus would require to use specific equipment in a certain order, it would ultimately hinder its usefulness: why waste time of something so convoluted when you could just find it? Realistically, the only things I see being possible to make in the context of the game would just be fertilizing substances, onguents and maybe some kinds of explosives.

If it was made simple using Unturned Skill logic, where say “Chemistry VI” would allow you to make “complex” compounds just needing the few required items and standing near the “tools”, then wouldn’t that be too accessible, too useful and thus overpowered? Done this way, it wouldn’t wrong to think you could craft almost anything that can be considered a chemical compound.

Honestly, I don’t see a way to strike a balance between it being intellectually challenging, fun and effective enough in relation to other mechanics.

3 Likes

Cool things that don’t need to be added. It’s just entirely too complex and really doesn’t fit the game. It’s just a bit unnecessary.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a few more variants of the generic bottle of chemicals we have for more crafting (probably would be the more common bottle of chemicals, a rarer one, and then finally some deadzone-level chemicals, all with different names and apparences).

Seeing a few other high level versions of common crafting ingredients, of which you can only find in certain places wouldn’t be a bad idea. They’d obviously be used in more advanced crafting recipes.

1 Like

Didn’t Nelson already decide “just throw them all into three tiers for simplicity” wasn’t working for ammunition? This isn’t a milsim. I want my crafting mechanics to be as fleshed out as my gun mechanics. Using real chemicals doesn’t mean every real chemical needs to exist in-game, but it leaves the possibility open for any chemical to be added.

1 Like

I fail to see how ammo has anything to do with this. I just want crafting ingredients that are harder to find and are used in high grade stuff. 3.0 kinda failed to do this since raw explosives and chemicals are both extremely common and aren’t restricted by location.

And we really don’t need a bunch of chemicals. A few standard chemical solutions at best (aka the three bottles I suggested before). Then it’s just variety for the sake of variety which isn’t a good thing.

1 Like

Neither variety for the sake of variety, nor simplicity for the sake of simplicity is inherently good. If it’s simple enough to be intuitive and optimized, it’s as simple as it needs to be. If it’s complex enough to be balanced right and to allow room for other things to be added, it’s as complex as it needs to be. The comparison that I made to ammunition, was that the ammunition in 3.X was simplified to the point that adding new content, that was still balanced and fit intuitively into the game, became a struggle.

1 Like

I think we should coin a new phrase for this.

Complexity for the sake of complexity is bad. (I have a particularly bad habit of doing this, but even for me this suggestion is a tad over the top)

2 Likes

What OP suggested is basically the Minecraft potion brewing system. If you go by only what is directly stated it’s somewhat less complex, or if you feel look at it from the perspective of Don Quixote, it’s obviously far more complex.

1 Like

See the joke is that on the PH scale acids cant be basic because an acid is acidic and not basic

oingo boingo am i right fellas

1 Like