Customizing the Eaglefire [Attachment System mega-post]

Not always. Some barrels have threaded muzzles, that any muzzle device (including suppresors) with a matching thread can attach to, and some barrels have integral muzzle devices (including suppresors) While it would be cool to also have muzzle devices that attach over other muzzle devices, similar to how rail converter attachments would work, I would consider suppresors that attach over muzzle devices less important than threaded suppressors or even integral suppressors.

I’m fine with manually adjusting the stock from the inventory to choose between compactness and quickness, but when the weapon is equipped, it should be done automatically, just as shouldering the rifle should be done automatically.

I don’t really care whether muzzlebreaks are heard from further away or not, as long as it’s balanced, but I think the audio played should be atleast somewhat different, and the poll options were to limited to reflect this.

There’s also the fact that muzzleflash and smoke are directed up into the players sight line regardless of whether they’re prone or not, so I’m not entirely sure it’s necessary to have additional dirt particles when prone, or to detect what type of ground the player is laying prone on, but if we’re going to such detail why stop there? The world isn’t just a perfectly level world isn’t just a perfectly level plain so should we also factor in how high the muzzle is hanging over the ground?

Any variant of any weapon should potentially be able to spawn in where it might be appropriate. The excessively colorful variations of items that you later used as an example of variations that shouldn’t spawn, might not be appropriate to spawn at military locations, but they could be more appropriate in militia locations or as raceguns for competition.

Side note: I’m still of the opinion that except in the case of certain quick change barrels or takedown rifles, the barrel should not be an attachment swapped out through the attachment menu, but rather a component that is used up to modify the weapon itself, similar to how you suggested spray cans would be. I’d say that instead of having a fixed profile and length for different barrel items, atleast one of these should be a modifier of the barrel itself. Additionally I’d say that the gas system should be integral to the barrel, and the barrel length variable would also determine the gas tube length. Other variables/modifiers that could be applied to the barrel if the gas system and barrel were considered a single component would include whether the gas block has a low profile, a folding front sight base, an A-frame front sight base, picatinny rail(s) and/or a bayonet lug, and this way the bayonet lug could automatically be positioned appropriately to the specific length of barrel (since that’s something you kept mentioning, or maybe I just kept scrolling back to that part)

If by caliber you mean bullet diameter, then sure, all that should be necessary to switch an Eaglefire from firing .223 Remington or 5.56×45 NATO to firing .300 BLK or 7.62×40 Wilson Tactical is a barrel change. However, if you want to switch to a completely different cartridge like 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or .308 Winchester a more substantial modification, or even a different weapon, would be necessary.

That shouldn’t be too big of a concern, since muzzle devices are affixed to the barrel to begin with, and presumably would be changed when the barrel is changed.

Pretty sure that if the BDC of scopes automatically adjusts to the cartridge the weapon fires, (like Nelson says they will) then there’s not going to be a random chance of misaligning your sights.

In Canada civilian rifle magazines are only legally allowed to hold 5 rounds. You won’t find images of 5 round AR-15 magazine bodies, because magazine bodies that short wouldn’t interface well with the long AR-15 magazine well. Instead 5 round variations of longer magazines are made. Similarly, in some places 10 round variations of 20 or 30 round magazines are made to comply with local laws. I’d say that 20 rounders would be better to introduce as speedy magazines than flush fitting 10 rounders that can barely be gripped. If 10 rounders were to be implemented, I’d say there chief advantage should be their compactness. Instead of a 50 round drum, I’d personally go with a 60 round quadstack or Magpul D60. I’m pretty sure the Beta-C design is more correctly called a “saddle drum” but I’m not an expert on English.

Why would it be important to see the backside of the next 20 cartridges you’ll be firing? Are we going to be inspecting their primers? Or are the drums loaded backwards so the bullets are facing towards where we can see them? Wouldn’t it be far more useful and realistic to either show all the cartridges or show one of every 5 or 3 or 10 or whatever number might be deemed appropriate?

If the gun has to be unslung before being equipped then it’s not really any more of an attachment then a holster would be (and no I’m not talking about holster stocks) but I suppose shooting slings or slings that can be quickly adjusted to be thrown over the shoulder without unslinging could be considered attachments.

5 Likes

If only we had posts this detailed and long about how Survival and so on would be, and the cooperation and workings between players.

2 Likes

For me I’d prefer to have the stock in the same position as it was put in the inventory and not automatically adjusted. If weapon length is being considered for what can be shot you would possibly benefit from having the stock collapsed or folded away for close-quarters combat if you don’t have a shorter weapon.

It’s important because it will let you know how many bullets are remaining even if you don’t have an ammo counter showing on the HUD. The design of the drum may prevent you from seeing all of the cartridges at once so it wouldn’t necessarily be more realistic.

2 Likes

It would still show how much ammunition was remaining if it showed the last ~80 rounds like the actual magazine, (Although Montro has previously expressed doubt that Nelson could make that many rounds clearly visible in Unturned II’s style) or if it only showed every other cartridge, (although if Nelson is only capable of showing 20 cartridges in a Beta-C style drum, then it would be more like one out of every 5) either of which would allow for better indication of how full the drum is 80% of the time.

Right, you forgot about bump stocks.

I have to say that this is the first time that I have struggled to get to the end off the post.

But have to say that almost everything that you are suggesting sounds great, good job man!

I agree with your concern over switching ammo types. I feel like it could very easily ruin the sandbox and also make it less diverse overall. What stops people from just picking a certain round and just finding the best gun that can be converted to firing it over using guns that natively fire that specific round, especially if they’re worse than other guns of other cartridges? I feel like it’d be easy to negate downsides with a system like this, and it also ruins the caliber identity of weapons.

One thing I’m not a huge fan of is different barrel types. For me its really as simple as this:

If you can make an AR-15 platform rifle into a DMR then why bother going with a DMR when it’s very likely 5.56 magazines will be more common? I think weapons really should be kept to their specific roles to avoid guns overshadowing others. This keeps weapon identity and also means players will be forced to use more than one gun instead of making one or two that can basically be jack of all trades weapons.
Of course the DMR barrel might not make the gun that great, but if it’s enough to make it competitive with a DMR then it has a chance to overshadow DMRs simply because of the (assumedly) more common magazines and ammo.
EDIT: This is also why I’m against different receivers. If you can just make a gun automatic when it usually isn’t then why bother going out to find a gun that has auto if you can make the gun you already have automatic?

3 Likes

I agree, and I think that if rechambering mechanics were actually added, the rechambered variants would have to be sidegrades with a penalty of some sort that still makes them inferior to a dedicated counterpart.

e.g. a full auto Eaglefire would have really bad recoil control versus a dedicated 5.56 full auto AR. A DMR barrel on an Eaglefire would still not make it as accurate as a dedicated DMR, but it would slightly close the gap between the two. Durability, reliability, and componentry failure chances (such as jams) may also be a balancing factor here. At the end of the day even if it’s not 100% realistic to a real world version, balance comes first regardless.

3 Likes

In my honest opion all these adjustments should be possible (especially the DMR part, since all a DMR is is quite literally a beefier AR chambered for more powerfull round or a BR with a decent glass).
Modifying anything but barrel and rail accessories should require some form of skill but should not be hard locked, for example Lvl 10 “craftsman”, you can still attempt it with level of 5 and up but run the risk of ruining the rail (for rail mounted accessories) or the accuracy (for barrels), the receiver (for RoF/ fire mode/trigger adjustments) or straight up misfires (out-of-battery, light strikes, failure to feed/extract/chamber yadda yaddya yadda). The risk of ruining the gun gradually decreases when you start to match the required skill level.

I didn’t read it but it’s long so it must be good.

1 Like

YOU ARE HUGE

THAT MEANS YOU’VE GOT FANTASTIC FUCKING CONTENT

LIKE AND SHARE

2 Likes

I wish I could like more than once

1 Like

How to get the 50 likes on a single post badge:

• Be MoltonMontro
  • Make a massive post on UII
  • Make it about guns
  • Utilize a brand new system for mega-posts
3 Likes

I don’t think a RNG system nor skills really solves the problems I listed, if anything, it just ignores them.
I can only really describe the problem like this:
ARs are already really freaking good in 3.0, imagine if they were currently able to be given DMR upgrades which increase their range and damage or other alternative upgrades? Why would you bother using any other gun, especially a DMR, when you can just turn your AR into one?
By being able to do this you negate the need to
A: go find a proper DMR
B: go find more guns past an AR
C: find DMR magazines since you can just use your AR’s magazines
and all you need to do is
A: find/craft/whatever the barrel
B: put it on

1 Like

The barrel should be able to make an AR accurate enough to make hits further out, but never as accurate as a purpose built sniper rifle like the Range Firing Gun. It shouldn’t raise the damage of the gun, just reduce the effect of damage drop off. A gun firing intermediate cartridges should never offer an equal number shots to kill as one firing full power rifle cartridges, all else being equal, and being able to convert an Eaglefire to fire .300 BLK like the Honeybadger should not be construed to mean that it could be converted to fire .308 Winchester like the Lockdown.

1 Like

A: A DMR is literally a rechambered AR with maybe a heavier barrel and a better glass
B: Point taken, variety is pretty much neevr a bad thing
C: No, most DMRs are not chambered for 5.56 NATO but rather 7.62x51 or similar (or x39 with a long enough barrel and decent ammo)

As I said, changing the barrel (without the required skill level) runs the risk of trashing your accuracy and thereby not only invalidating the use of the platform as a DMR (since range would compound worse MOA) but could possibly move the accuracy on par with SBRs, PDW or possibly even SMGs/PCCs.
And that is even ignoring the fact that if you failed to re-chamber and barrel the weapon properly it might stop functioning at all or you run the risk of serious malfunctions.

At a the required skill level it might be entirely possibly that you already played long enough to have found a “true” DMR, which would relegate the skill to maintenance, which should very much be thing.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that Nelson’s is not gonna make ars that good, he maybe made a mistake on Unturned 3.0 but I doubt he will do it again

When you add a new system just for your mega-post

7.62x51mm

39 is still an intermediate power cartridge, despite the fact that it is more powerful than 5.56

2 Likes

I was going to say something, but I saw he said “or similar” and knew that it would just end up him saying they’re both similar because they both are nominally 7.62⌀ to which I would have to reply with a clarification about the differences between an intermediate cartridge and a full power rifle cartridges that make them more dissimilar than their nominal dimensions give the impression of, and then someone would probably question how any of this has anything to do with Unturned, because they have a knee-jerk reaction to anything realistic, and can’t be arsed to scroll up for themself.