Devlog #023

All featuring a revamped attachment menu, new animations and other cool stuff :griefer:

https://blog.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned-ii-devlog-023/

27 Likes

Please keep the sniper reload, Stupid stuff like that is what unturned really needs to preserve its whole cartoony identity.

15 Likes

Devlog #023 Transcription

Summary

Primarily item and equipped item (typically weapon) updates.

Summary Video

https://youtu.be/v3g-damXGGE

Tactical Attachments

Making the now-crowded attachments view not suck was trickier than expected. Since you can move around jumping and bobbing your weapon all over the place with this menu open, the angles leading to the item slots were not stable.

I experimented with several different approaches involving trying to group the slots together, but in the end a relatively simple solution worked best. The slots push each-other clockwise inserting spacing, then counter-clockwise, and then the average is used. Combining this with a few other techniques to keep the screen positions and angles stable turned out quite well.

Weapon Animations

Weapon animations have changed significantly over the past year. Initially while working on attachment changes last year there were separate animations for detaching, attaching, and a detach-attach combo. This might make sense for some future items, but was a lot more work to animate and keep consistent. Back then we still didnā€™t have space-switching for animations either.

Now each equipped weapon can have its own dedicated animation blueprint which allows much more control over the blending and base pose, especially for weapon hand IK in the future. Creating the Eaglefire and Timberwolf reload animations was a lot of fun and quick to do with all the animation tools Iā€™ve made over the past year, and now blend the detach and attach animations into a combination. Despite the item change being what triggers the animation, a notification partway through alerts the visual to swap to the new magazine.

Details Panel

With deep item hierarchies it was really confusing keeping track of where the item was, but now we have the new problem of extra-tall details panels. I somehow suspect this wonā€™t be the last we see of these changes.

Recoil

Last year I did some work on recoil patterns and control, and re-approaching it with fresh eyes was helpful to make useful changes. All the way back to 3 the recoil was configured as a series of pitch/yaw changes, but thinking about it this is not ideal for easily designing the shape of the pattern.

Now we control a clockwise angle the recoil will kick, and the magnitude of the kick. You can also see a preview of the pattern now in the editor (shown above), and in the future Iā€™d like to support editing the pattern by interacting with the preview.

Next

Itā€™s looking like the next update to 3 will be on June 21st. Quite a few tasks have stacked up on the to-do list for that! As such, Devlog #024 should be someday mid-July.

Gameplay Change List

Usually for 3 I write the log as changes are made, but for this case I went through the commit history gathering the gameplay-related changes.

• Attached items contribute to parent item interactable collision.
  • Added dismiss-all-popups hotkey.
  • Fixed thumbnail bounds of items with a vertical aspect ratio like magazine.
  • Corrected nearby inventory to use physical location.
  • Adjusted large scope collision to include mounting point.
  • Improved navigation between code lock digit fields.
  • Added radial layout and padding for weapon tactical view.
  • Support for duplicate 1st / 3rd person weapon widgets so that 3rd person tactical view lines up properly.
  • Improved free-look and support free-look while in some menus like weapon tactical view.
  • Added sub-anim-instance-blueprints for weapon animations allowing nicer blending of item animations and hand IK for weapons.
  • Introduced recoil patterns and recoil control.
  • Items can be resized by their attachments.
  • Attached items list their parent hierarchy in the details panel.
  • Parent items like their child hierarchy in the details panel.
  • Separated item transfer input from output which allows clients to send a destination to the server and then a transfer or split stack command. This allows all containers to support the quantity popup easily.
  • Inventory controller now tests for item ownership.
  • Thumbnails can opt-out of child observer spawning.
  • Slot titles now override attachable tag titles so that Handguard has names for top/bottom/left/right.
  • Reduced delay between changing stack size and receiving update.
  • Added small 5.56 magazine.
  • Added detach and attach animations and blending of the two for reload animations.
  • Focus is restored to the button that opens a popup when finished.
8 Likes

Wow even GHJ is plagiarising.

This is unacceptable

12 Likes

Works Cited

Sexton, N. (2019, June 14). Unturned II Devlog #023. Retrieved June 14, 2019, from https://blog.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned-ii-devlog-023/

:wink:

13 Likes

Perhaps that could be an extremely rare secret reload animation, kinda like what Battlefield does?

Also, weā€™re becoming Escape From Tarkov by the second and I absolutely love it. For the dynamic attachment pane, one suggestion Iā€™d have is to have the names of the item context types/rails be visible in small text right above the slot itself, like this:

10 Likes

Fuck it. Iā€™ll make some eft guns. And one is already done.

1 Like

Is it just me or did Unturned II not get an update with the new features?

Itā€™s likely that the content shown arenā€™t implemented into the demo yet.

7 Likes

Or it may just take a bit. Last one of the one before took about an hour after to get an update (for me atleast)

Just got the update. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Dont know if its known yet, but:
If you drag the gun into ā€œLeft Handā€, the character starts to T-pose with the gun in its hand.

3 Likes

Let em be Jesus if he wants

1 Like

My god, the triggers are back in eagle fire, the only ā€˜negativeā€™ thing is that the optimization pass has been postponed to devlog 24, but apart from that Iā€™m very happy to see how many new features we have, the little eagle fire magazines who could imagine?

2 Likes

Left handed people donā€™t exist.

1 Like

can confirm that we donā€™t exist

7 Likes

3-2

(for nelson)

Perhaps for attachments instead of it showing every attachment for one side, perhaps have a button to switch to looking at the other side of the gun, then you add attachments for that side of the gun?

3 Likes

very cool, thank you nelson