Gas, Gas, Gas!

With the proper pressure, and heat from air resistance, you can

Only that’s not right. Contact with the air will cause cooling due to a phenominon called forced convection (stick your hand out the car window it cools, it does not heat). While there is friction the temprtature difference between air and bullet, and the large amount of new air at ambient temperature touching the bullet will overpower any heat caused due to friction, which will be miniscule since the energy dissipated through friction will manifest as a loss of speed (or in the case of your hand out the window…drag).

What you are thinking about is the special case of when a body enters the atmosphere at extreme speeds. High in the atmospher, at the boundary between air and vaccumm, the air is very thin and has little heat transfer potential. In this case friction generated heat can build as molecules of air hit the vessel. This happens until the air grows dense enough to begin cooling the body in re-entry.

L.A.S.E.R.

2 Likes

Is laser a meme now?

Yes. It’s a meme for when you want to sound all intelligent and technical but come off as just goofy and ‘archaic’ instead.

L.A.S.E.R. or S.C.U.B.A. who will win

2 Likes

The thin air in the upper atmosphere means not just less air to act as a heat sink, but also less air to cause friction, so that point is irrelevant.

now i stay dreaming… i and a group monting a trap in a road with gasoline in the road… and other group stoping the car and my group shooting how crazy mother fuckers in the group in car

thanks for actual intelligence

no, a normal bullet cannot light a trail of gas or any kind of gas, and air resistance will not make a normal bullet catch gas on fire at any distance in any condition. now if you were to use a tracer round and give the bullet enough distance (just for the actual tracer stuff to be ignited by air resistance), then it would be possible but just the friction from a bullet shooting will not be enough to light up a trail of gas. If you dont believe me, go try it.

These are some good suggestions. Giving gas the ability to be poured everywhere creates this kind of makeshift molotov which is kind of badass. And with the lighter it adds a little more survival into the game (lighting camp fires and a small light source).

However, I wouldn’t get too carried away with this. I would advise against burning down bases and trees in general. I can already tell that some people will run around burning down all of the forests instead of using the wood from trees (drip a little gas and light it). The coal isn’t really necessary anyways, we have logs. And then people will start burning someone’s base to get inside instead of actually collecting raid gear like explosives and high caliber weapons. Bases should be pretty secure, not accessible to anyone with gas and a lighter. I don’t believe the wait time would be enough to prevent this from becoming the meta.

I’d also advise against using guns and normal rounds to light up the gasoline at all. I don’t care whether or not it’s realistic; I don’t like it from a gameplay standpoint because it should be a very risky tactic to use (you’re literally playing with fire). It allows you to simultaneously seal off doorways and other areas while keeping yourself fully armed. However, explosive and tracer rounds would be rare enough to prevent any random guy with a gun from lighting fires. I’d apply your conditions for normal guns onto tracer/explosive rounds instead.

In general, good idea but don’t play with fire too much.

1 Like

incendiary rounds or tracers??? (not a suggestion just a thought if it would start a fire on gas)

You do know that I am able to read the guy’s comment w/ you lecturing me. Tho i did see it happen before, but sure

I made arrangements so that fire win’t be used to raid bases and all that. Because as I mentioned before, each has its own fire damage multiplier, so bases are gonna require a lot of gas to burn down which would be a waste of a lot of gas and time. Same for trees. Except trees need a lot of time to turn into charcoal and won’t stay on fire as soon it’s introduced to a flame, it will require the player to reignite it

That’s what I love about science. It is what it is regardless of what we think we know. But don’t take my word for it. Do some research. This is all well understood and has beem demonstrated for 10’s of thousands of years (shooting stars in acient times burning up as they hit the atmosphere, space junk doing the same in the space age).

As for fire damage on the base structures, it’s too much. 1% per second is just 1 minute and 40 seconds, that’s fast enough for an offline raid and requires no explosives or rare military loot, just a lighter and gasoline. On a small 1x1 or 2x2 that only requires 1 wall to get inside, that deterrent wouldn’t be effective enough.

Regarding it taking only 3 gas cans, this just means that gas cans will be collected as raiding items with people eventually getting enough for an efficient raid. 3 cans wouldn’t be that hard to get, especially if you had a group where each member held 1-2 cans. You’d also be able to effectively minimize the time it takes by using a vehicle to drive back and forth from a gas pump, or by siphoning the vehicle’s gas directly.

And it wouldn’t be a waste of gas if you were raiding someone’s base for their valuables, that would be an excellent use of an infinite resource (gas).

As for burning trees, it’d look kind of odd if a tree just stopped burning randomly, but if it was to protect large forests for gameplay that’d be worth it. The multiple lighter use would also serve as a good deterrent. If it got too bad Nelson could always tweak it.

Well, the numbers are just an example so i can easily deliver the idea that I’m trying to give out.

Who said we have infinite gas? Even in 3.x, the gas was limited unless you had a generator and a pump jack. And in 4.x, I highly doubt it’s gonna be as easy to get fuel especially since it’s supposed to be much more difficult. Let’s not forget that finding a gas can is a pain in the ass, even in 3.x.
As for what you’re trying to say, you’re comparing 4.x with 3.x which is the flaw in your argument (for the most part, at least). Everything is going to be harder to find and will require work to achieve. So people will have to choose what they have to use their fuel on, whether be trasportation or damage to structures.
However, when it comes to trees, i only said they’d stop burning is because for balance because that wouldn’t allow people to simply burn down trees with 1 drop of fuel.

Again, for the fire damage on structures, it can be easily reworked into doing something like 0.01% damage per second on 1 wall only. Keep in mind that lockers and metal storage won’t be affected by the fire. Unless we do something like a 0.00001% fire damage multipier

2 Likes

The 3.0 gas system slowly regenerates, thus making it infinite. On a good sized server (24-16 players on Russia) This regeneration is adequate to be able to find gas within a few locations. 4.x should follow the same system unless gas is only for the first people to join a server.

The generator and pump jack are an even better infinite source of gas, meaning you can generate an infinite amount of raiding fuel. It would be harder for players to get this type of system, but that just means the top players on a server can create their own raiding supplies instead of looting for them.

I’m comparing it to the closest thing we have to 4.x: 3.0. While it’s not completely accurate to what the final product will be, it’s offers a good prediction of what 4.x will be.

And if you could please provide a link to Nelson saying that everything will be harder to find, I’d appreciate it. I’ve heard it’s going to be more survival focused and serious, not that all of the items will spawn less frequently.

I Understand, that’s why I’d go with that. For the gameplay instead of the realism.

This alone would be good enough of a change to prevent fire raiding from becoming an exploitable meta. I was just arguing against your suggested idea since that’s what was in the original post.

However, it totally ruins any point in burning wooden base walls. I’d add a small amount of damage to anyone standing against a lit wall (while not necessarily being the side that’s on fire) to add a practical combat use. Raiders could isolate where the enemy is and light the walls near the base owners on fire to add some pressure and possibly deal a little damage.

1 Like

When it comes to the gas system, the gas pumps shouldn’t be full at the start to show that some real shit went down and some people tried to use the gas. So it shouldn’t be filled. And regenerate at a VERY slow pace. In 3.x we had gas stations and gas tanks all filled with gas almost all the time, even in a full Washington server. There’s always a lot of gas you can find, whether you went to the mili base, or almost any city.

As for the rarity in loot, literally 3.x’s mistake was having rare loot spawning so frequently that you can have a full set of weapons from a simple 5-minutr raid on the military base. And Nelson wants 4.x to have what 3.x didn’t, hence why he’s making 4.x in the first place. 3.x had loot everywhere, letting people have end game gear in such little time, so from that you can safely say that loot will be more difficult to find otherwise the same mistake will be done twice.

The closest thing we have, true. But it’s still very different than 3.x in regards to many things such as newer mechanics, different gun play, better graphics, and a completely different engine as well. So yes, 3.x is the closest we have, but it’s still very different. So comparing the 2 games isn’t the smartest thing to do.

Fire damage on players is another topic that doesn’t really need discussing because it’ll come to no surprise that the player will be hurt badly for being so close to a wall that’s on fire, or anything that’s on fire in that regard.

Fair enough. Random amounts of fuel avalaible would accomplish this pretty well.

Yeah, on easy mode… On normal and hard it takes several trips to military locations for a good amount of weapons and armor. And since normal mode is what the game is mainly balanced for, I don’t see much issue with 3.0’s current spawn rates. If this were truly a big issue, Nelson can change the spawn rates in the editor, it’s not that hard. This isn’t something that requires months of work on an entirely new game. So if you could link me to anything saying or suggesting that he’s decreasing item spawns instead of just assuming that he’s nerfing them, I’d appreciate it.

Good point.

Alright. I’d say that about concludes the meat and potatoes of this debate. You don’t necessarily need to respond to my second point since either way we agree on limiting the raiding effectiveness of fire, and that was my main concern. But if you’d like to, feel free.

Overall still some very interesting ideas for fire mechanics in 4.x.

It’s not official yet. But almost everyone here could agree. Because i usually on normal difficulty servers, mostly vanilla and i found a Nykorev in Heritage valley, and a Heartbreaker in the military checkpoints. You can find guns anywhere. And you can have 3 days worth of food and water in 1 trip to the city. Not to mention, I found enough clothes to make about 20 dressings (no exaggeration). You can have most of the important things so fast. And i’m not the only one saying this, many people here have requested there to be less spawns to increase difficulty
So that is why I hope that item spawns are less often