Hawt Barrels

Not bad, maybe after a certain threshold, the barrel would warp and possibly jam or even misfire.

3 Likes

It would be interesting, it could be a stat applied to certain barrels as a downside, for example a barrel that increases accuracy and velocity would heat up faster.

1 Like

Prehaps gloves can allow you to use your gun more before you start harming yourself (still wears as normal though), and better parts may allow more fireing, prehaps we can even install a “makeshift ice pack” for the gun.

(Honistly it whould probualy wear the gun more, but you can hold it longer)

Besides the jamming and the misfiring.
would be nice if the quality of the gun would also dropped faster when overheated than not overheated (duh.)

leaked one of the uses for a fridge to make ice cubes?

Barrels should heat up less in cold environments.

3 Likes

Nice little addition, although a barrel won’t go red after 50 bullets. Hot and possibly smoking a little, yes, but it gets red after about 100 or so bullets.

I have never held a rifle by the barrel. As far as I know, the handguard and grip stays relatively cool. Plus if you’re wearing gloves you’ll be fine. The main concern is causing damage to the barrel. Also, few weapons allow for hot-swapping the barrel (the Steyr AUG is one of them)

You mean a longer barrel with more mass? No, it would heat up slower. To get the most velocity out of your ammunition, you need a longer barrel so the gasses have more time to expand behind the bullet. Accuracy is dependent on the bullet too if we’re talking actual ballistics. Once the bullet slows down from supersonic speeds though, it tends to lose all sense of accuracy, limiting the effective range if it’s a light projectile.

I think 100 rounds is a good threshold.

Reloading shouldn’t stop the barrel from heating up either. If you’ve been running your assault rifle full auto non stop for 4 magazines, that barrel should be red hot by that point.

1 Like

I’ve suggested something along the lines of this before and agree that it should happen.

Please no copy.

Just kidding.

It’s called balance.

1 Like

It’d also be kinda funny to be shooting a suppressor away then it suddenly catching flame.

Yes, because steel burns.

Jet fuels ‘can melts’ steal beams.

In all seriousness it can be re-shaped with high heat. And that metals can burns. (Kinda. But not with gunshot heating. Unless a surpressor are made out of plastic. Idk.)

I know you are being sarcastic

Balance should make sense though. A larger heavier barrel will give you the most out of the ammunition you’re using, but it will make the gun larger and will be heavier, making aiming more difficult unless prone or supporting the weapon on something. A fluted barrel will be lighter, but it will also heat and cool quicker.

When a suppressor ruptures you can actually see hot gasses going out and it does look like a flame, he might’ve meant that

1 Like

I like the idea, would love having nakeshift guns be more prone to overheating after fewer shots than say a military grade weapon, maybe even having a chance that a part breaks or something if guns are modular

I made a similar topic, but it doesn’t cover the “burning the hand” part

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.