How should PvE and PvP co-exist?

I think you’re heavily misinterpreting some of Nelson’s posts then.

2 Likes

I don’t have a concern…
.I’m asking for peoples opinions lol and all I get is people disagreeing with an idea I never suggested or just not answering the question.

/Fail thread.

Making the game hard won’t prevent rampant Kos, many games tried that route.

Edited the original post to be just a question.

I was assuming you had one. Like, why ask if 2 basic types of gamemode could coexist?

People thought you made a suggestion because you bring up something people never heard of nor thought about it (Zones)

Yes I thought from reading posts that PvP would be more of a late game thing so I assumed there must be away to prevent early game pvp’ing.

But now I see people think it’s just going to be pvp “always turned on” but player will Kos less because the game is more difficult, but I don’t think that will work.

Of course there will separate pve only servers but that’s a different issue, I was wondering how Kos will be less on servers with PvP enabled specifically

Systems that encourage not murdering each other. Nothing is going to “prevent” early-game PvP, it’s just a discouragement.

1 Like

actually, it wont get rid of it, but it will make it less likely. If people have to pay more attention to surviving zombies, they will less likely try to murder everyone they see. Yes, there will be little kids who constantly try to kos everyone they see because they think 4.0 will be pvp based instead, but its more likely that they will get bored before they even manage to get the stuff needed to kill someone else. Or when they try to punch someone to death they die because the other person might have a slightly better weapon, or knows the games control. Yes, makingt he game harder wont prevent it, but it will make it less likely to happen.
Edit, molt already said what I said, basically XD
edit 2. I now understand what you meant, and I guess that could work, making certain areas like say, a military base or a hospital a place where people can pvp would be interesting, cause then it would make sense, because survivors would fight over the right to loot places like those.

Can you please put some examples? Because as far as I’ve seen, only few survival games has been made hard and realistic enough to make people progress in this order (or alike):

• Find decent gear to survive first days
  • Cooperate with other players to achieve further success*
  • Settle up a base
  • Gain strenght and defend
  • Gain certain control over the looting areas (this implying a very possible gameplay-wise conflict with a rival group)

(*) This one may be switched with the next one or skipped according to preferences

Instead, this is what I currently see in Unturned and most (non-hardcore) survival games:

• Get any sort of weapon
  • Kill anyone and steal their stuff
  • Raid their bases and gather even more stuff
  • Raid their bases and gather even more stuff

literally. making the game more beautiful/PvE focused isn’t going to stop micspamming 8 year olds from playing the game and killing people.

However, it could function the same as in 3.0. there’s no way to really manipulate that without it being tedious and stupid

Hinder, but not completely stop

That’s something that would obviously prevail regardless of how much is done to prevent it

True, but it’ll be hard to do and end up pissing people off

We already know UII is headed in the direction of a hardcore survival game.

Simply make it so that the environment is so much of a threat that players seriously need to reconsider engaging in a fight. (Which is already going to happen.)

1 Like

It will never.

You can only have one or the other per server.

I’d say the best way to prevent KOS would be to have large maps (relative to the player count) with open lines of sight (relative to the effective ranges of the weapons.) You’re less likely to get swarmed or snuck up on if there’s only a few people to pay attention to, and there’s no way you can KOS if people are too far to kill when you first see them.

I don’t feel like that will prevent it.
It’ll just take longer for people to kill eachother.
(IE Germany and Russia, but all you see is PEI and Washington servers because potato users dominating the scene.)

I hate to be that guy but theres nothing anyone can do to stop KOS. As long as people have the ability to kill, they will… and because they can, they have to.

If that’s the case, many people would consider the option of hunting you down instead. Trust me when I say that wouldn’t solve anything.

1 Like

The goal is to stop brainless PvP and senseless KoS, which is harder considering the kind of audience that Unturned draws. However, it’s wrong to say that all the KoS problem is because most of Unturned’s audience is below 13, as I’ve seen guys of 16 and even older being dumb happy triggers, even at the point of hunting down freshpawns across the whole damn map.

Ok, now is when I say: take your goth stuff out of this place!

Jokes aside, have you even wondered why currently the game is “Call of Turned”? It’s because the survival field in the game itself is nearly a joke, and frankly very easy to surpass, then PvP content becomes very notable (huge variety of guns, mega-zombies drops, horde beacons, weapons airdrops…). Then some players get to find another challenge and many possibilities in their hands, mostly in a bad way, and start messing with people and fucking around at other’s expenses just for the sake of seeing some “action”, at the point that they end believing that PvP is the main purpose of the game.

You know what makes me mad? That there’s sh*thead people in Unturned that actually believes that people who doesn’t spend 99% of their time killing others (wether they don’t like to do it nor having that much possibilities) “are noobs that doesn’t know how to play”… It’s even more dumb when I see these PvP servers that are to the top of rocket plugins n’ shit like that, which offers absolute absurd advantages, and only works to maintain such a toxic playerbase.

Something some people must understand here is that in Unturned people doesn’t kill because “they have to” (which would be the case gameplay wise), but because people has a mental dung based on that you have to shoot barely anything in your way to be #1 in the game, and that’s exactly what so many of us don’t want to see in UII.

3 Likes

I actually am a proud goth irl by the way.

Also, yes I acknowledge that the playerbase is extremely toxic and hellbent on killing eachother.
I’ve played the game extensively, and I’ve seen it all first hand.
The toxicity gets so bad at some points it was enough to drive my friends away from the game.

My phrase “They will… and because they can, they have to.” was more of a poetic way of saying.
“They kill people because they want to, and won’t stop.”

I, like most other people in the forums wish this wasn’t the case.
You can’t change people, and this is why I treat the situation with such reluctance and hopelessness.

But you can change the game, and if you do it right, you can change the way people sees and plays it.

It’ll never happen pal.

If it does, I will jump in a lake.
Nelson sealed the fate of this game when he chose his target audience to be “Everybody”

In turn, everyone will come. And there are a lot of nasty people in the world friend. Its just unavoidable.