Lockwork

I feel that there should be an attachment slot on weapons for lockwork.

On muzzleloaders and such, the lockwork slot could be used for different lock plates like flintlock, percussion lock, Maynard tape primed, match lock, and wheel lock designs.

On revolvers, the lockwork slot could be used to decide between Single Action Only (which could also be fanned), Single/Double Action, and Double Action Only trigger groups.

On some rifles the lockwork slot could be where a magazine disconnect could be placed.

I know that some people think that weapons that are capable of automatic fire need to be balanced as completely separate weapons from those that can only fire in a semiautomatic firemode, but I would like to point out that the stat differences used to balance a full auto vs semi auto version of a weapon could just be applied when in the automatic firemode, or could be applied by when using the attachments necessary for automatic fire. Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, and for the sake of completeness I’d like to put forward the possibility that lockwork attachments could be used to decide whether self loading rifles fire in semiautomatic, in burst fire, in fully automatic, and/or through hammer follow.

In summary, lockwork attachments could be used to make weapons more modular and allow each weapon to fill more niches.

As an additional thought, I’d like to point out that if attachments could affect what firemodes are available, you could have bumpfire stocks.

3 Likes

Yeah sure, I don’t see why not…

S t o p r i g h t t h e r e

1 Like

Liberals triggered

1 Like

I wouldn’t call these attachments.
For revolvers, unless the weapon in question is crafted, switching between Single/Double action fire modes should instead be regulated to just changing the firemode, similar to switching from full-auto to semi.
As for muzzleloaders, I personally think the type of lock should be regulated to which weapon it is. For example, Civil War-era type revolvers should use percussion caps, wheelocks are limited to antique cavalry pistols in museums, matchlocks for crafted weapons, and so on. In addition, there are breech-loading weapons that use these actions as well, calling them collectively as muzzleloaders doesn’t do much justice.

Changing your lock work would be to decide what firemode you’re in, it would be to decide what firemodes you have access to.

Muzzleloaders generally have the lock plate as a singular unit, which can fairly easily be replaced. Cap and ball revolvers and breach loading muskets also use percussion caps, but can’t as easily be converted, which is why I intentionally used a term which excludes them.

What about some unique designs?
Such as the Graham turret rifle

Porter turret rifle

Cochran turret revolver

None of those are muzzle loaders.So what I said about muzzleloaders doesn’t necessarily apply to them. I am not greatly familiar with any of these random specific examples.From what I can see they appear to all use percussion locks, I don’t believe that any of them would easily be converted matchlock, wheel lock, or flintlock systems, (there doesn’t appear to be enough room to add a flash pan to each cylinder.) Full auto trigger groups obviously aren’t relevant to any of these weapons. If you absolutely needed to have an attachment point for different types of lockwork on these weapons, I suppose you might be able to MacGyver a double action trigger mechanism into them, or have different trigger mechanisms impact locktime, flinch/sympathetic movement, trigger reset time, or something but I don’t know why every weapon would need removable lockwork.

Here’s the thing, locks shouldn’t just be something that you can remove willy-nilly on the attachment menu, or even within the inventory itself. Changing locks should require disassembling the entire firearm and reassembling it in the crafting menu with a different lock, and also require a gunsmithing skill or something similar.

Why shouldn’t they be when the Eaglefire barrel is?
If the trigger group is already assembled, it drops into an AR style rifle much more easily than the process of installing a barrel into the upper receiver.

Could you explain to me the differences between the 4.X inventory and crafting menus and what makes one of them so much more fitting for this application than the other?

These requirements would make sense for creating sears and springs and assembling them into a unit, but putting that unit into place is the easy part (atleast for any weapon that is modular enough for having different trigger groups to be better than having different versions of that weapon.)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.