My Experience owning a forum

Made a forum, promoted it twice in Community Lounge.

The forum receives a barrage of shtposts of hentai and trans nudes by member ‘sdgnelson’.
Posts deleted.
Guests begin posting wholesome ‘Hail Hitlers’ (which I got involved in) and hentai trans nudes, real trans nudes, furry trans nudes.
Posts deleted.
More sh
t posts come around, most deleted but some are fine.
NEXT DAY

Updated forum, added new boards, shoutbox, I think I removed guest feature, members now need approval for registration.

23 minutes ago…

Guy nicknamed ‘f*kn**grs’ joins. I approve him to ban him as a troll, but…

he posts several photos of a very unhealthy willy before I can…

My eyes hurt I need emotional support right now.

I deleted like 100 posts of just hentai and trans nudes. Life is absolutely perfect.

1 Like

lol link got deleted sorry to everyone for being annoying with my self-promotion

Link removed for user safety but mainly because the SDG Forum isn’t meant for advertising (see On-topic Discourse). I can give you some advice though.

1. If you’re going to use a manual-approval system, don’t approve accounts that you plan on banning. You added the approval system so you wouldn’t run into this problem. Approving users regardless defeats the purpose of the system.

2. Anti-spam measures would help. ProBoards can be pretty lackluster when it comes to plugin options – you probably won’t find one. Could arrange a different solution yourself, but that requires resources. Other forum software will typically have such measures built-in for you to configure, or available as an official plugin of sorts.

• This extends to “general moderation tools”. Ways to easily identify sockpuppets and ban all of them, or in certain cases report them to higher authority. Flagging system for users. Report queue for pending moderation action.

• Alternatively, make sure the forum software you choose meets the demands of your site. If not, ditch it (if there’s no suitable alternative).

3. Promote in locations that make sense. This way, only people who would care about the promotion would see it, and you’d get far more actually well-intentioned users.

6 Likes

thank you, dude. nice advice. sorry for the self-promotion too.

1 Like

Just to follow-up slightly on this, we use Discourse which works well enough for SDG’s needs. I don’t think I would recommend Discourse to someone wanting a simple setup and installation.

I know a lot of people like Xenforo and Enjin, and some users of this forum have a lot of experience with those. There’s a lot of other options. Although, you could always stick with ProBoards, depending on what you’re looking for out of your forum experience.

1 Like

I’m trying to experiment a bit, because, next year, I’m looking to launch some commercial applications, and I want to get used to forums and website makers so it’s easier to setup a business of my own. Thanks for the tips and have a good day!

1 Like

Almost like this ins’t the place to promote your forums or whatever.

For the love of god look at automated flood and bot protection. There are going to be bots spamming your forum if you don’t.

2 Likes

Just use this one. As someone with experience doing backend work on a Xenforo forum many years ago, it’s super simple and has plenty of awesome plug-ins. One of my first posts here was talking about how it’s better than Discourse and it still is and I’m still right :wink: and why SDG should use it instead.

2 Likes

Lol I’m 13 I can’t afford Xenforo

firstly its Shitpost not shtposts

secondly, I didn’t know Nelson was into that type of shit

how do you be wholesome with Hitler
Hitler is the least wholesome person on planet earth

1 Like

Hitler ended WW2, the holocaust and killed the leader of the Nazis bro

That explains it. All of it.

Get the basics down before even attempting to do commercial work.
Maybe fiddle around with open source shit for a bit. But yeah, you are either going to have to put down money or time.

4 Likes

I have plenty of time, no money and a shiteload of open source crap.

I think I’ll be okay.

I’m sorry, what?

Explains what, exactly?

we did it reddit

3 Likes

Made a forum, promoted it twice in Community Lounge.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes @PatrickR2020

3 Likes

yup you got that right

1 Like

Your wanting to go commercial before thinking about flood and spam protection.
Your promoting of your forums in here.
You not being able (or willing) to invest money into your commercial product.
Your random upvoting of posts that are over half a year old.

It just all, I dunno, fits I guess.

4 Likes

Your wanting to go commercial before thinking about flood and spam protection.

Ok, this is very very correct, however, my project is a game, not the forum itself.

Your promoting of your forums in here.

*forum. Good point.

You not being able (or willing) to invest money into your commercial product.

not being able (or willing)

That’s the law. Also, I’ll only invest money if 100% necessary.

Your random upvoting of posts that are over half a year old.

Yup, that makes sense.