Open Discussion | Permadeath, Medium Core, or Soft Boiled?

Was just thinking based on the different discussions on the topic of Skills, depending on how characters are created, and how skills are earned, would Permadeath (reset of character on death) be a useful mechanic? or should we do MediumCore like current (drop inventory, lose some skill) or SoftBoiledCore (just lose some skill on death).

Share your ideas on how we should handle death, in-game death of corpse.

I’ve never looked soft-core in games. It’s great for casual players, but then I feel obligated (although there’s no reason to) utilize this cop-out. :man_shrugging:

Considering Unturned II is survival game at its core, I’d say that items should be lost on death (and no “special” items, nor any item’s nested storage, should be excluded from that).

I think a few people have suggested permadeath-like things for Unturned II I’d say that if it was added as the default mechanic for what happens after death, the “resetting of your character” should probably exclude buildables you’ve placed.

Now, in Unturned, we currently have the option to do any of these three mechanics (lose all skills and items, lose some skills and all items, or only lose some skills) via the Gameplay Config. I don’t have a problem with that also being true for Unturned II, although I personally wouldn’t care if no settings existed in vanilla for that.

For Unturned II though, I’d stick with medium core as the default vanilla mechanic, regardless of whether or not skills are even added.

4 Likes

Well, if your player data was reset for hardcore, then anything you’ve placed would become publicly available to any player to use or salvage. Basically, if you died, then you’re once again “new” to the server.

Did you mean “And no, items… should be exluded” or “And no items… should be exluded”?

and no “special” items, nor any item’s nested storage, should be excluded

So basically, if you die, then everything you’ve built or owned no longer belong to you, but another survivor that had died?
From my understanding, you’d basically be a new survivor if your previous survivor died. Am I correct?

Also, a bit off topic…

Editing quotes is a kinda taboo thing, and hopefully something nobody has ever done with malicious intent, at least on here.
Edit: Only did that cause I did it by accident in the above post before fixing it, and wanted to make a comical mention of the accidental edit I made. Also, editing just changes the preview, expanding the quote still shows the original. Just discovered that.

What I basically meant with the bit in parenthesis was that Unturned shouldn’t have things similar to → these ←, which have appeared in various games over the years.

Oh, yeah, screw SoulBound items and EnderChests.

Safes would still be a cool idea, but they’d have to only be able to be accessed by one iteration of a character who had the perms. If you die, you lose the perms and will have to blow it up just like everyone else has to.

Or you could use a code or key to unlock your storage. It might seem odd to be able to find your keys, but it would make sense to hide a spare key so you can access your stuff after you die.

If buildables become salvageable by everyone after you die, there would definitely need to be a way to claim them back, so you didn’t have to salvage and replace your entire base to keep people from just salvaging their way through it.

This would only happen if Permadeath was on. Normal Mediumcore would be the same as normal Unturned, you die and go back to your base and recuperate.

That might work, but IMHO secure storage is always hard to get right in games where you can raid.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.