Rain Dawson

If his eyes are co-dominant or nearly co-dominant, it could be difficult to focus on the sight picture without squinting, closing, covering, or otherwise limiting the sensory input from one eye. The reason many people insist that everyone should train to shoot with both eyes open, regardless of the quirks of their individual bodies is because they assume that it is better or more instinctive to keep both eyes open and on the “threat.” However, the only thing threatening Rain is a somewhat mean joke. All that being said, the character appears to be strongly right eye dominant rather than having co-dominant eyes, as the left hand is being brought all the way over to the right side. The only way this could really make much sense is if he’s actually missing an eye, (rather than it just being that the artist couldn’t draw matching eyes on a 3/4 view.)

There really are no redeeming qualities about the teacup grip. I’ve seen some claims about it adding some support with the off hand without being too different from a one-handed grip, but I can’t bring myself to actually use this argument.

I would point out that there’s other reasons to use a blading stance besides being restricted in space, but I don’t think he was trying to protect or obscure his holstered firearm from the meme or present a smaller target to the meme, and I’m fairly certain the weakness of the teacup grip undoes any benefits to the push-pull method of recoil control that might be offered by a blading stance.

3 Likes

You make great points in this argument, however, this does not eliminate the fact (not an assumption) that keeping both eyes open is actually better.
The dominant eye, or if ever the case - both eyes if the shooter is cross-eye dominant, should be on the front sight post, NOT on the target.
Having both eyes open provides the shooter a wider field of view, thus allowing them to take in more information from the environment they are facing. Shooters must train to use their weapon when they have the chance, it is part of being a responsible gun owner. And knowing what is around your target, such as the foreground and background is critical when you are unfortunately in a gunfight. Having both eyes open helps you in judging if you should take the shot or move.

Y’eah.

I agree, there are more reasons to use the bladed stance. I have pointed out that there is nothing around his intimate spacing, thus no reason for him to protect his weapon, yes.

However, I still urge people to use the isosceles stance if ever possible. Because getting shot while in a bladed stance simply invites the bullet to rupture more than 1 organ as it passes through our flesh. Not exactly a “smaller target”.

Thank you for listening to my presentation on Theory of Gunfighting I.

3 Likes

Ask me how I know you have not done handgun drills

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.