Realism/Immersion Over Balance (Discussion)

Not really gonna type much other than I prefer Realism and Immersion over balance. It would be rather uncool to kill a car with a low cal weapon or zombies “eat” your heavily armored vehicle.
Would rather have gunplay be much more realistic and harder, instead of just saying “this gun is accurate or this gun is high damage” Would rather go by caliber and velocity. Would be stupid to survive a 50 BMG to the chest, unless you have armor rated above 9mm. (it would break and leave you heavily damaged though)

Also so many discussions on “mounted turrets and cannons” It really depends, I feel like Tanks and attack planes should belong to mods while in the actual vanilla game there would be like a HMG pickup truck maybe a BTR-60 /70/80 and a m113 (The vietnam apc thingy) add some diversity and you got solid “heavy” vehicles.

Anyways I just want to know what the majority thinks how the game should be played, as a hard realistic survival or a balanced easier survival game.

2 Likes

As someone who enjoys games like Arma for their realism, I completely agree, but I think Unturned II should still have some wacky & goofy elements. Not everyone plays for the realism. :slight_smile:

I understand why one would enjoy realism, as I do dabble in it a bit, with around 200 hours in insurgnecy and alot of time in arma 2, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree. Games should be completley built around gameplay instead of realism.

Realistic also should not be synomynous with hard. If one hit kills were in the game like they are in insurgency, I honestly dont think I would play it. Half second time to kill doesnt make a game hard, it doesnt reward you for playing for extended amounts of time. If you can kill a person with a 9mm to the head, whats the diffrence between a naked with a 9mm and someone who has been playing for 12 hours straight?

I do want to see btrs and technicals though.

• Realism
  • Balance

0 voters

The point of realism, in my opinion, is that the player would need a certain level of skill to kill, unlike what you described. That’s unbalanced.

In Arma 3, you have to understand the ballistics of the bullet and how your weapon handles to land shots accurately.

1 Like

You are still giving an ungodly advantage to whoever gets first shot, buffing 3rd person even further and reducing the skill ceililing by doing so and also making it so jukes or strafing does matter because one or two bullets kills you.

I do want fairly extensive bullet drop that is hard to master, along with no range cap on guns

Also as many people have said realism of the sake of realism is bad

The dose makes the poison, or in this case. Too much of one thing is bad.

While II will be more realistic than 3.0, that doesn’t mean that it will take every bit of realism in the world into it. (Sadly or fortunately.)

We should suggested realistic feature for being an in-game challenge rather than adding it because it’s real.

Personally, I prefer balanced. With a hint of realism in it. Talk about 3/1 ratio here.

1 Like

You’re about a year late to the party. While this is a valid discussion, Nelson and the vast majority of the most prominent veterans of the community have clearly shown a stance in support of hardcore gameplay.

I’d dig up a direct quote, but I’m too lazy busy

I strongly disagree. If you’re injured, you’re injured. You don’t magically go from near death to being able to fight just because a squad member helped you up. Plus, groups have always been OP in Unturned. Why would you buff them even more? This is actually even worse than teleportation commands in 3.0, since you don’t even die. It’s just unreasonable. This isn’t PUBG.

If you’re doing all of this just thinking that “the little kids” are going to quit, I don’t think you’ve learned your lesson from 3.0. People can and will find a way around; you should be more concerned with the actual quality of the game instead of just trying to irritate people you don’t like.

tl;dr decrease bullet drop

This alone isn’t going to do much. Ballistics as a whole is getting reworked as we speak though

So you are 100% fine with putting multiple hours into a single life, and losing absolutley everything in a single bullets that you never heard or saw?

To me that is the exact opposite of fun. In arma you usually live for 30 minutes tops, in unturned you can survive for days on end, and hopefully this will be extended by adding more proggression to U2. I agree with bullet drop though, and there should be a advanced armor system.

Also lowering time to kill directly decreases the skill ceiling, because you dont need to be as consistent with aim, as you only have to get lucky once or twice.

Everything in moderation.

“Realism for the sake of realism is bad. For example organ-specific damage: nobody is intentionally aiming for your lungs, so it comes down to random bad luck that you suddenly can’t breath.
Responsiveness, which could be considered “arcady” is more fun than clunky slow realism sliding back and forth trying to go through a door. Note that this is different than requiring skill e.g. predictable bullet drop is good.”
Not saying I 100% agree with this down to the letter, but Nelson’s own thoughts seem relevant to the discussion at hand, and, as Benjamin Franklin once said

Really long quote

"I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope, that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain french lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said “I don’t know how it happens, Sister but I meet with no body but myself, that’s always in the right — Il n’y a que moi qui a toujours raison.”

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this…"

What I meant by knocked out, was like Ace mod from ArmA3, where you have to fully heal them or give them epipen to get them up. If you give them epipen when they are heavily hurt they usually just go unconsious again. I believe there should be torso,head and then the 4 limbs as seperate parts to heal. I don’t want it to be like ahh just hold button and their up. You totally misunderstood or I was just bad at typing it.

Also I only think snipers (.50/338) Should be able to one shot unarmored, and heavily damage armored, and 1 shot headshot. Basically like in 3.0.

Most guns should take 3-4 hits.

By making sniping harder will also help, maybe take into consideration wind, distance etc (Induvidual setting can be toggled on/off in server setting)

Some of this was definetly misunderstood, I’m a heavy ArmA3 player and a lot of this is taken from that.

Also to be honest, I want gunplay to be somewhere between arcady and squad, like in the middle. With gunsway and more recoil but also deployable bipods.

Also in most hardcore games, there are VERY I mean VERY few kids, but of course community can still be salty and toxic even if it consists of mostly teens and up.

I also believe armor should be more advanced, lowest tier being a stab vest, and highest being a juggernaut vest. (Armor and clothing will heavily change movement speed)
So juggernautish armor may be good for raiding a base but would be at a disatvantage in open fields as it moves slowly. They should also just show in the item description what the armor is rated for.
This would mean a pistol would be very hard to use against a geared player with lvl4+ armor.

TTS should entirely depend on the caliber and armor IMO. I will delete my old post as it was misunderstood.

Dont care about balance, I don’t need it , I alway survived on 3.x while playing with 1st person and using a hawkound and managed to survive against the maplestrike 3rd person players .
I would prefer Realism a lot even if balance is a bit broken .

I wannt the game to be both more realistic and balanced, like having a gun one shot in the head if you dont have a helmet, but not as realistic as if you break a leg you have to lay in bed for 30 ingame days for it to heal

What does he mean with “Realism for the sake of realism is bad”. Im sorry for not really understanding but im not that good at english, can someone explane what he means with it ?

Realism in games is often good (For those who enjoy playing these kinds of games of course).
But if you add a realistic feature in a game,just because that’s how it is in the real world,without proper balance,this feature is going to do more bad than good,because it will just be annoying and irritating for the player.

We’re playing games because we want to have fun,not because we want to see something 100% accurate to the real world.

1 Like

I just gotta ask, are people really in favor of one hit kills being a possibility on fully geared players?

1 Like

Gentlemen. Do you know what happens when there’s TOO MUCH REALISM?
Look at Tarkov for an example.

The game gets completely broken and shit like that happens. You spend four hours getting together some good loot and some John Wick one-taps you in the head with a lucky shot from a suppressed pistol. Is that really what UII should be?

2 Likes

Then again, there’s the whole argument that you shouldn’t be sprinting everywhere like a madman not giving a crap about stealth.

IMO the Mosin was (pre-nerf) one of the most reasonable guns in all of EFT. It’s meta-changing, and it forces geared players to not blindly run into shit thinking “I’m armored, nothing can stop me”.

“Too much realism” is far more subjective than it is objective, and EFT has yet to hit that point (especially considering it’s supposed to be incredibly hardcore). That said, the whole “realism for the sake of realism is bad” argument still stands.

1 Like

I don’t want UII to be EFT.