Replays suggestion to combat hackers and save good moments

“The Overwatch lets the CS:GO community regulate itself by allowing qualified and experienced members of the community (‘investigators‘) to review reports of disruptive behavior, determine whether those reports are valid, and apply temporary bans if appropriate.”

"Prospective Overwatch Investigators are presented with an active Overwatch button in the main menu, which indicates that there is a pending case for them to evaluate. The investigators can then choose to participate by watching a replay (eight rounds’ worth or roughly 10 minutes) and selecting a verdict.

If the investigators collectively agree that an offense has occurred, a ban will be issued. The ban duration will depend on the severity of the offense and the suspect’s history of convictions, if any."

Literally copy and pasting from the CS:GO FAQ about it, will post a link bellow.

Again, we dont need overwatch, literally just have replays as an admin tool with the ability to spectate player views, its not that complicated.

1. This basically forces players to indirectly abuse.

2. It’s Unturned, almost no server has the community and staff to send proper reports and respond to them. How will it be worth developing and spending time on it when it won’t pay off?

Locking it to server staff only would be even more ineffective than VAC is on 3.0.

1. What? Are you saying normal players would abuse or that admins would abuse? Normies cant abuse it because they cant use it, admins can just ban people if they really want to abuse

2. Thats unturned 3.0, if a server wants to run well and have admins it can use it, I seriously dont understand what your point is here. Obviously random servers that some kid made arent going to use this feature, but big ones that have a handful of admins and a discord? This would be a godsend.

For starters VAC was crazy effective compared to no VAC, so I am not sure what you are trying to say with that, secondly this is just wrong lmao. If normal players can replay themselves getting killed by a hacker what are they going to do? Ban them? They cant. The would have to contact an admin, and then the admin would watch it and then ban the hacker. Just cut out the middle man.

Do OW players in CS:GO get rewarded? :thinking:

I still think server franchises that go the extra mile will be rewarded accordingly by players that appreciate no hackers.

We could just have this like I originally suggested. However, the whole “”“overwatch”“” system would be a neat, and easily do-able feature. Why do you think sven made Observatory (besides to abuse later down the line)?

Was observatory ever actually used? Also wtf is wrong with your quotation marks lmao

TONS of reports were created, and ended at observatory. Of course it was used, dummy. I put “”“quotations”“” because I wouldn’t compare it to overwatch directly, and I’m using the term Observatory on purpose.

https://observatory.rocketmod.net/reports/ thats nearly 5,000 reports filed, and completed.

1. Because a player can just send multiple false reports, or if a clan gets 5v1’d they can just mass report and bloat up the server’s replay directory with a lot of MB worth in reports and admins can abuse it by being able to find crucial info from another persons POV, like bases.

2. But it’s also Unturned, how can we trust that the amount of development time for it will be worth it if only a very small minority of servers with good staff will care? What if cheating isn’t nearly as rampant as it is in 3.0? Then admins will have no reason to even bat an eye at them until the admin themselves gets killed.

Besides, I think Nelson only wants to see kill cams, or save interesting clips of your and your groups perspective.

Sorry rain, but I’m siding with Kyle.

Better safe than sorry. Hacks will be here on good days and bad days.

There could always be measures and systems in place to stop “mob mentality” and “mass reporting”. For instance, a report against a single person will stay as just that - a single report. No need for all the extra reports. Server staff can deal with these things how they want to.

I really can’t see how. It’s literally a win-win situation. Don’t like using replays because you’re lazy? Then don’t use them. Don’t like this observatory concept? Then opt out of it. Those that want the maximum potential to catch and punish cheaters will make use of it while other servers will merely rely and pray on things like Battleye to be their only line of good defense. Again, it rewards good servers and punishes bad ones - which is great for people like me that love the game, love the community, and are willing to invest time to keep the game free, fair, and fun for everyone - especially on the battlefield.

i think screen capture system works fine
replay could just be used for cinematic’s and shit

1 Like

Remember to be considerate. Most server franchises today in 3.0 demand that players record their screen to gather evidence against cheaters. Not everyone’s machine is powerful enough to do so. Not everyone’s machine has enough space for the gigantic video files. Not everyone has fast enough internet to upload their video to youtube in ample, reasonable time. Not everybody can edit videos and cut out parts that don’t matter.

Replays make this easier.

More of the reason I agree with Kylie KS because not everyone has super decent computers, and for the server having to record every player, and around 20-50 meters around them constantly is going to be rough.

Even if it doesn’t use the clients computer to do that, it just makes it worse on the PC running the server.

I know I know I’ve missed a lot of facts, but that’s my opinion.

It’s not that I don’t agree this would be a good idea, it’s just that it is too difficult for Nelson to put in-game, and would be too difficult on the computers that are doing the job.

Reminder :

if Fortnite can do it, then Unturned can too

I get that you haven’t read everything, but just summarizing this up for you and others

From my extensive knowledge of server hosting, understanding games, game mechanics, and a plethora of other things, I can guarantee this is overwhelmingly easy to do. The server is already receiving updates about the players locations, the server already knows where all the player-made structures are - they just need to write that down in the RAM and after a short run flush it out and have it written apart of a permanent file.

This would have a minuscule, non-existent impact on CPU performance as all the calculation has already been done, the server just needs to hold and cache this replay in the RAM for a little bit before pushing it out onto the permanent storage in a block. This would add no more than 10-50mb of RAM usage to the server? Thats nothing at all. And even after all of this, the server could have the option to disable server-side replays in the configs

If Halo 3 - a game that came out 12 years ago can do it, then Unturned can do it

TIL Halo 3 had this.

1 Like

I mean, besides the Forge, and Better Multiplayer, and the continuation of the series campaign, the replays, sharing of them, and sharing of custom maps is what made Halo 3 super big in itself.

Here’s a video, for fun

Well, if that’s true, then sure.

I’m really all in for performance, so yeah.

I’m gonna make it simple and easy for you to understand. Recordings are different than actually being there in the server. Recordings have to render everything on the map at once aside to rendering a specific portion when you’re playing.

And how is the software gonna know when the suspect did his fight?
Common sense, please.

Okay, let me explain this in a way you can understand.
CSGO’s matches have a software that automatically records the match from start to finish in case anyone was hacking so that the viewer can be able to see what the suspect did and all that. Keeping in mind that the maps are small, the match itself is short but still completely filled with shooting and interaction. Even those cases, some are difficult to detect, unless the suspect is spinbotting.

The average length of a fortnite game is around 15 minutes which is fine in regards to recording size compared to the average 30 minutes of a CSGO compared to a survival game that can last for days and weeks before getting shut down or restarted.

Why dont you ask all the hackers in CSGO (pre-F2P era) that know about Overwatch but still hack, keeping in mind that the game costed money. People have their own reasons to hack, even if it costed money, so nothing will stop hackers whether a pay wall or anything else. And not all of them will be blatant

Could be, but still doesn’t guarentee 100% loyalty and maturity of all accounted staff members