Rio and the future of Curated Maps

They’re in the game’s “Extras” folder.

2 Likes

loading time isnt really increased by maps, but by assets, so the maps you proposed (except canyon arena, which will be replaced by japan once that comes out) will only decrease the loading time by the fraction a second it takes for the game to scan through all the maps in your game checking for masterbundles

2 Likes

Of course, though it’s still worth getting some of those maps that no one plays on, out of the game.

1 Like

yeah, i agree

Really? TIL. I always figured Nelson just edits PEI and throws in a christmas tree or something then undo’s it after the events.

Nelson should delete the extra maps then. Would go a long way.

Maybe minutes of the player waiting the game to load would make a difference in the servers
I mean I use to many mods and i wait more time in the than the normal one and i see it’s worth it
As most people aren’t going directly to the workshop at least some time in loading could make them try the curated maps more often as they will think as the map is areadly insulated so they don’t have to download it from the workshop which i see this could take you time but it wouldn’t make you or force you to go the workshop
And most people don’t go there mostlikley lizay (no offense) or don’t know about the hidden gold in the workshop and cureted maps
So I think keeping it in game would solve the problem about empty servers as
I dont think this would be a tiny problem in U2 as unreal engine support the idea of not loading the hole game when you are in a world that’s uses 5 percent assets in your game
That was my point of view of how to fix the empty servers
I hope we could find a solution for this

Somehow danaby is both satire and feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:
There is a point to be made for “forcing” the map, and personally I have only downloaded a few CS:GO workshop maps compared to the workshop maps they include in game updates. I’m concerned about subscribing by default being perceived poorly, but I will implement it to some degree. Showing the map in the curated section pre-install and making the subscribe buttons more visible may help as well.

Rio didn’t have a specific section in the update notes post because in the client it has the half-page takeover, but it may help for posterity’s sake and also for people reading from the browser to have some information about it. Most of the information that’s usually covered in the update notes was intended to be covered in-game.

Danaby’s right about the load times, and the Extras maps take up ~120mb, but might be moved to the workshop as well. I’ll probably keep Destruction in the base game because it’s sort of a feature testbed.

Pre-2018 the maps were edited for events, but a feature was eventually added for timed objects. This year I’m planning to go through the rest of the vanilla maps and further detail them for that.

12 Likes

There’s a case to be made that these maps should be added back into the games files instead of being on the Workshop, as server owners aren’t looking out to see if a map has been updated on the workshop. They will however be looking for game updates.

EDIT: If you do make that auto-download change, make sure to announce that you’re doing so, maybe also give Rio proper patch notes.

3 Likes

I disagree to be honest, and there are two reasons why

1. There is a clear, obvious and significant impact on load times within the game, is it worth it, even though a good portion of the unturned community probably didn’t play the maps anyways?

2. It seems unfair that only an extremely select group of maps will ever be curated. Yes, they are high quality, but for every curated map, i bet there would be lots and lots of maps with just as good quality, but didn’t get curated. And nelson cannot just start adding too many maps to try to make it fair for everyone as this be nonviable performance wise.

in saying this, i do agree that these new workshop curated maps should be more accessible, and should be encouraged to the player a lot more

Continuing on point 2, the current system effectively replaced “Curated content” and “Timed Curated content” with just a “Curated Workshop content”. Of course there’s still the “permanent” curations like France and Canyon Arena, but moving forward I’d assume that those (or at least all other curated maps) will be downloaded.

The point that I want to make is that this actually helps fix one of the issues of Timed Curation (and moving permanents to the Workshop). People would complain that servers would stop running the maps, and that putting out updates to the maps seems pointless because less people check the Workshop.

The [UPDATED] tags and easier in-game subscribing should help fix those older issues, shouldn’t it? Of course that doesn’t say anything about initial player counts, but in the long-term for the map, it should theoretically see constant playing of some sort, which makes updating the map for appreciable. Theoretical hypothetical.

1 Like

Curated maps are curated because of they:

1. Have custom content.
  2. Come from a trusted team.
  3. Are new experiences.
  4. Have new environments.

If you’re saying a map like Overgrown 3 should be curated I’d have to disagree, while that map is fun to play on, it’s not a map that hit the requirements for a curated project. Look at a map like France, now compare it to a map like Ural mountains. One of those maps should be in the game, the other one needs to rot in workshop hell.

6 Likes

I was assuming he was referring to Timed Curation existing to help with load times, and maps like Greece and Hawaii being moved to the Workshop

Not that I disagree with your point

1 Like

Best quote ever

1 Like

I am not personally that fond of France but I don’t think it deserves workshop hell

4 Likes

Both have great reviews, but one does not live up to the games standards. And we all know what map that is.

2 Likes

All of the discussed changes have been implemented and are now on the preview branch. More details in this post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/304930/discussions/0/1639793203781472918/

Please reply if you have any feedback on this or concerns! Rio will be featured with the update again. Some of the related changes are:

• Without Rio installed you can still search “Rio” maps on the server list.
  • Corrected server list default for new players to “any” workshop usage.
  • All curated maps are linked from the singleplayer list, and categorization is now more automatic. Note that Ireland has been removed from the lists.
  • Curated map status of new or updated is shown on the main post.
  • Curated category tab has the new or updated status until clicked.
  • Map status labels are now taken from the curation status rather than per-map override.
  • Map feedback URL links to the workshop discussions.
  • Server list filters by map version to make updating safer.
  • Servers automatically watch for changes to the map.
  • Buttons on the curation announcement are more visible.
8 Likes

Thank you. It’s great to see that our concerns were taken into consideration and actually put into place

4 Likes

Honestly think curated maps need to be auto downloads, no point in making them otherwise. No one will play then if it isn’t shoved down they’re throats.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.