Skill Trees

Now I’ve seen some posts about skill trees and I decided to write my own.

Now I was thinking that skills could have 3 ways they could work
1.Nelson just keeps the way skills work now
2.Skill trees but they work similarly to how skills work now
3.Full-blown skill trees

1 Is pretty self explanatory so let me just jump to 2.

2.Skill trees but they work similarly to how skills work now

Basically skills would still be gotten multiple times to make them stronger, but would have prerequisites (skills you have to get before you can get the one you want)
A good example of this would be borderlands skill trees:

(although the icons, UI style and names would be changed to fit Unturned obviously.)

I’ve made my own example of this in Unturned style (except that I was too lazy to make high-quality icons)

The first skill in the offense tree would be cardio, left first would be warrior, left second would be exercise and left third would be a new skill that increases melee speed and alt-fire damage.
The right first skill in offense would be sharpshooter, second right would allow shooting while sliding and third right would do more damage on headshots.
This would actually bring more variety in combat. The left part would allow melee to be a part in gunfights, as they would rush in with melee and do however much damage they can and people who went for sharpshooter (who can’t get exercise because it’s in the other tree, so will move much slower and will rely on cars. I always wanted melee to take part in gunfights and I think this is a first step but it still wouldn’t be effective. I’m going to make a post on this later.

On defense the first would allow players to place barricades (and barricades only) faster.
First left would be agriculture, second left would be survival, third left would be something to reduce bleeding damage but now that I think about it it would make more sense for it to be on the right.
First right would make broken bones heal faster and require more falling damage to break. 2nd right would be to take less damage in general, and 3rd I didn’t know what to put.
For support I was too lazy to do anything.

3.Full blown skill trees

Now this would be interesting. Instead of upgrading one skill multiple times you get many skills that do more game-changing things. First thing that goes to my head is Far Cry 3 skill trees.

far-cry-3-skill-trees-guide

These would instead of changing just numbers and stuff they give access to new abilities and things.
Like the takedown example you see in the last picture (it doesn’t have to be that though).
Maybe sliding and dolphin diving would be limited to certain skills
Now the skill trees you see above are made for a singleplayer game so there is no exclusivity but I think there should also be paths so if you go for one part of the skill tree you should not have access to the other.

1 Like

Your idea is very different from mine. Plus that I mentioned that I saw multiple skill tree ideas on the forum.

Calm. I went ironic!
I even gave a heart

I believe that what we want is a change in this type of skill that we have

i didnt read alot of this but im just gonna say this anyways. i think the way it should work is it has the ruguler skills earned the reguler way but inportant/special skills get a skill tree

Can’t someone just grind for EXP and get all of the skills?
I spend about an hour or 2 killing xombies and getting EXP enough to max out all my skills

maybe you could build up to being powerful in one category? like if you choose certain skills you will lose access to other ones, example, you put get overkill ( or something like that) but then you lose access to say… Survival, since you are using more nutrients and energy to provide a stronger blow.

That creates a problem of must-have skills, which would be a greatly unavoidable issue since some things are just extremely important. Rather than encouraging skill diversity and unique gameplay styles, everyone would be learning roughly the same things.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose so

like maybe a way to do it is you could have people in your group and have some people set up skills trees for combat, or building/crafting, or even medic skill trees, which would allow you to heal others and yourself better.

The thing I like best about the Borderlands skill tree (From 2 and TPS, not 1) is the fact that you can’t spec into all three trees fully because you only get ~67 points IIRC, and to get all the skills maxed out in all the trees it’d take more than 120 points, which means your options are limited. Instead of being an all-around tank, sprinting machine and great shot, you’re forced to take one or two of those skills.

That’s a fair point, and Borderlands is fun and all, but: there’s multiple classes that change the skills you can have, there’s still a lot of meta, there’s prerequisites, and the system is based around gameplay mechanics unique to it being an RPG–FPS. At the end-game you can’t choose stuff for fun anymore, and at certain points some classes are just not as good as others. There’s also a lot of filler skills and such.

With Unturned, having “filler skills” isn’t as useful to the player, nor basing skills and weapon choice around a single skillset/class. This is especially true if building is going to be relevant to people. Even if the game wants to encourage teamwork we can’t just throw solos under the bus either.

Eh. I give very little support to this form of skill tree revamp. Having a suggestion like this as an extension to a discussion about revamping individual skills would make more sense. Fix skills before making the currently preferred ones the only ones we use.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.