So I had a Machinima idea for Unturned II

This has to do with Unturned II, but I’m conflicted on whether if I should put it here or in the Unturned II Discussions.

Okay, so I had a machinima series idea for Unturned II. However I’m not exactly sure if I should go through with it or not. Kind of conflicted on whether to go through with the idea or not. Mainly because I also have plans on creating a Hytale server that’s basically EarthMC with a tech tree and other features.

The base idea and grounds for the series is the geopolitics of a post apocalyptic world brought to ruin by zombies. It would be the jumping off platform for a universe called “Conplan” named after the Department of Defense’s Conplan 8888-11. I’d choose Unturned II for the series to be made in, mainly because it would be free, easy(ish) to mod, and to focus on good writing and story telling rather than the aesthetics.

Thought of what could be the pilot, being the origin of the virus, the main protagonist doing his every day work and all the sudden the outbreak starts. I also feel very hesitant to do it because I feel like it’s just going to end up in the bin of trash tier content, however it’s a secondary concern. I’ll go over it in more detail if requested to do so.

wow thats a cool idea

edit : ok i actually read the post and i cannot fully verify the credibility of my previous statement

16 Likes

Very interesting idea of your’s

just do it like seriously who cares
if it ends up bad, its whatever, at least you went through with it and made something. You can use the knowledge from that to better future projects. Literally any level of quality is better than nothing at all, put your ideas out there you don’t need the SDGfourms approval to make something man.

15 Likes

It’s a decent idea, but consider these three aspects:

A: Worldbuilding, by itself, does not make for interesting and/or engaging content. Sure, to you the “geopolitics of a post-apocalyptic world” might make for riveting stuff, but what is there to engage the audience? I’d recommend giving the reader some personal investment in the geopolitics via involving the main protagonist in them. For example, say that the protagonist is attempting to get to city A to recover some important documents; but city A is currently the site of an intense conflict between faction A and faction B. This is now interesting to watch; will our protagonist make it through a literal warzone to get the documents he so desperately needs? Or will he fall prey to some stray gunfire?

B: Unturned II is years away. Coming from someone who’s played the alpha, I can assure you that it will not be ready for a machinma project for quite a while. If you wanted to start a project, I’d recommend doing it closer to when the game actually releases; that way, it doesn’t lose steam years before the game releases.

C: Machinma is a challenging artform. You’d need someone to host a server, and several actors/voice actors; and that’s not something you can easily get, unless you want to have the whole thing be a one-man show.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but I’m saying give your ideas some serious consideration first.

5 Likes

I just wanted to throw the idea out because it’s an interesting concept. I’m not sure if I should do it mainly because of my other ideas. The two big ones being this, and the Hytale server I thought up.

do it anyways bro

3 Likes

While it’s nice you want to throw out an idea for potential animators/short film makers, just saying the concept of a protagonist going through the stages of a zombie apocalypse is pretty vague although rather generic. I think it’s the #1 thing people would think of before branching out to more creative areas.

Similar to what pondfisher said, you need to prep the entire thing, plus it would require a lot of practise and consistency. Although the planning is wasted since UII is way far from being usable for ‘machinimas’, like around a year or so waiting.

2 Likes

My idea is to have numerous “protagonists” rather than one for the sake of world building. One for example could be a law maker, or a leader. Another could be a soldier for example. I’ve thought of for one half of the series to be focusing on the world through the eyes of various individuals and the other half on world building. @Yarrrr

For everyone else, I’ll eventually go over the various factions for a specific region where it’s to take place and such.

Ok, THIS is epic.

Yeah, you’re going to have to wait a little while to make that. Unturned II right now is pretty much 2 test maps and 2 horde mode maps. It has 1 vehicle, and 2 guns. It’s going to be a while before you can make a good series.

Waiting aside, I would absolutely love a series like this.
Also, don’t worry about it not being good. Take your time on it, and if isn’t as good as you wanted it to be in the end, it’s still a stepping stone for you to make better series.

2 Likes

The main series that I thought up of for the story line would take place in Middle America. There are three primary states that take up the bulk of the story, secondary states that are somewhat important to the story but are sidelined for what the main three factions do. Description of the big three factions are to come next post.

NOTE: The Volksreich flag has a black sun in the middle but I’m not exactly sure if I’m allowed to put the uncensored flag here due to it’s relation to nazi occultism and the Waffen SS.

(Pic related, of the map in universe during the main years)

1 Like

I promised some basic details on the big three countries and a few of the smaller ones.

FACTION #1 THE MIDWESTERN FEDERATION
Midwest Flag

The Midwestern Federation is the country where the main story takes place. This is the faction that’s known about the most in the series itself, a constitutional federal republic which is a mix of the Swiss Canton system and the federal system of the United States.

On the local and canton level, it works like Switzerland. On the national level, it’s government is more like the United States. Which means on the provincial/state/canton level it’s more of a direct democracy. Most of the population lives in agrarian towns of 250 or less so direct democracy is a much easier task than in cities like the Midwestern Federation’s capital in New Tamaroa, located a few miles Northwest of what was New Boston, Illinois.

MIDWESTERN MILITARY
The military of the Midwestern Federation is one of the most organized forces in the post-apocalyptic world, being led by ex-US Army officers, and in specific the Military Chief of Staff being the adjutant general of the Indiana National Guard at the time of the outbreak. Due to a large portion of the world’s population being wiped out via the infection and food shortages, the Federation relies on all the population over the age of 18 to receive military training, utilizing an Israeli Defense Force style of conscription.

The uniforms of the majority of the MFAF are an olive drab color, and look similar to the uniforms of the US Military in Vietnam. The reason why a uniform isn’t camouflaged is because of a compromise between utility and cost. Even in a post-apocalyptic world, money exists and you need to pay for your military in some way.
MWF uni basis
Pictured above is the standard uniform for most troops of the Midwestern Federal Armed Forces. Most troops are issued with the PASGT helmet or M1 Helmet. It’s equipped with equipment from what was the Army National Guard. They will commonly be equipped with either civilian AR-15s or leftover stockpiles of arms from the US Military. This is the general rule among most of the world that they are to be equipped with what’s available. There are a few exceptions such as one of the other big factions in the region.

INSIDE THE FEDERATION
Some countries have industrial capabilities such as the Midwest having a few industrial areas. Though as crude as some of these “factories” could be, they still produce industrial goods such as machinery, gas, and some machinery for agriculture. There are of course a few gun workshops as well, the Midwest is better developed than most countries in the region and produces food surplus. The reason why the Midwest is stronger than most of the other countries and towns in the region is because the right people we’re in the right place at the right time. However the Midwestern Federation does have interior problems. A few examples include how some towns don’t accept the national currency, and how recently integrated towns have a drive for their independence. Not to mention the problems with the black market as well as underground criminal organizations being a thorn in the side of the Federation’s Government, it’s also under the threat of being too spread thin.

This is the basic summary of the Midwestern Federation.

now that’s deep

I’ve got a few issues with how the worldbuilding of this is set up. Keep in mind, I’m not saying you should change anything- it’s your story, after all- and while some elements may be unrealistic, that doesn’t mean they don’t make a good story.

That being said, however, I am going to list several issues I have with how you’ve constructed this.

A: Starting out with the most obvious issue here: Das Volksreich Nordamerikas. Firstly: Why would their name be German in the first place? Yes, Minnesota and plenty of other places do have some German heritage, but you have to keep in mind that most German immigrants came to the area around 1870 or so. Currently, it’d be more probable for any post-apocalyptic Minnesotan state to be named in Somali instead of German. Of course, the chance is still downright negligible either way.
Second, Nazism making a comeback is laughable. Yes, they do make good villains, but it’s just so preposterous that a dead ideology from what is, in-universe, a century ago, would actually be popular enough to form any basis for a functioning state. That, and if a Nazi regime wanted to actually function in a post-apocalyptic environment, the legitimately “Nazi” aspects would have to be more or less window dressing; with population so low, racism and culls would be quite potentially one of the most suicidal things possible. Plus, the Nazi economic model would be non-functional in the apocalypse under any circumstances. This isn’t, of course, implying that it would be functional outside of the apocalypse.

B: The Midwest Federation also has a lot of issues. From what you’ve said about it, it sounds as if it’d be incredibly unstable and would have a barely functioning central government; considering how vast the territory it holds is, how decentralized the government is, and how horrible logistics and transportation in the apocalypse would be, it’s a surprise it hasn’t broken up already. In fact, it’s a surprise it even got together in the first place. From what you’ve written, it sounds like the one thing it doesn’t have a major deficit in is a military; being mostly made up of the remnants of the U.S army in the region. So, in review:

• Unstable and weak central government due to high degrees of local autonomy and decentralization, in addition to the general devastation brought on by the apocalypse
  • Even more unstable due to fact that transportation and other logistics in the apocalypse on such a large scale would be nigh-impossible due to the incredibly low level of infrastructure; and, as such, the central government can’t even enforce the little power that it does have
  • Professional, equipped, and well-trained military
  • More or less self-sufficient towns and cities, some with basic levels of industrialization

The Midwestern Federation is basically just an apocalyptic Republic of China. It shares the same attributes; mostly agrarian population with several semi-industrialized cities, incredibly poor infrastructure, very large, weak central government, and a very strong military. And it’s no coincidence that the founding of the Republic of China also inaugurated the Warlord Era; and as to why, exactly, it’s called that- well…

Context

But hey, I’m not against some interesting historical parallels. The issue is, however, these issues wouldn’t be isolated to just the Federation; any sufficiently large state within this post-apocalyptic world would soon suffer the same issues, assuming that the entire U.S army didn’t just decide to join the Midwestern Federation for some reason. The issue is, however, with the way you’ve written it, the Midwestern Federation is a (relatively) stable, functional state; this, obviously, is not the case. If the apocalypse started in 2019 or so, by now the Federation should plainly not exist; or, at the very least, not as such a massive empire. Maybe a tenth of the size. This criticism also extends to such states as the Republic of Lakota or the Volksreich, although in that case it’s a tad more excusable considering the low population density; but not by much really. A world such as this would be a lot more fragmented, and a lot more divided; most places would be around the size of Toledo and Cincinnati, and that would be on the good end of things. Large states around the size of Ohio Interim Republic would most likely be the upper end in terms of area, and they would be serious powerhouses of their respective region; if they have the strength and organizational capacity to maintain control over such a large swathe of territory given the current situation, they would be very powerful indeed. Of course, this would by no means be the permanent state of affairs; but if you’re going to set it only 10 years or so after the apocalypse, things are going to be rather fragmented.
Footnote: These republics better be republics in name only. Democracies are not very stable affairs, particularly when they are created out of the war-(or zombie) torn ashes of a former state. For evidence, look at interwar Europe.

C: Population density would most likely not be high enough for functional states. Zombie outbreaks and large cities would go hand-in-hand in an environment like this, which would stall or at the very least heavily delay an already languid economic recovery. If the entire U.S is sent back to virtually pre-industrial times, it’s going to take quite a bit of time for it to recover; even highly advanced countries such as Germany took around 7 years or so to fully recuperate after WWII, even with billions of dollars of aid pouring into their country every year. Plus, considering that the political situation would be chronically unstable, any legitimate economic recovery would take decades to develop; and a return to pre-apocalypse living standards would most likely take generations. As of such, the ability of states to produce meaningful amounts of arms and ammunition would be severely hampered, or even the ability of states to raise a decently sized army; given that their populace would be incredibly poor, taxes wouldn’t really work well either. In fact, modern state-craft becomes somewhat impossible in this state of things; you basically have a return to pre-industrial society. Feudalism would most likely become a necessity if one wanted to organize a functioning state.

Apocalypses suck, don’t they?

But, that aside, this is an overly pessimistic take on things. The final point usually has to be disregarded in post-apocalyptic fiction for the simple reason that, if they were taken realistically, there really isn’t much to write about. Apocalypses are apocalypses; they are, more or less, the end of the world.

Now, I am not saying that your worldbuilding must be changed. Hard realism does not automatically mean a story is interesting; but if you are attempting to make a story that is focused around a rather cerebral subject such as geopolitics, one must include some level of realistic storytelling.

But it is, and remains, your story; at the end of the day, it’s about what’s interesting to view, not about what exactly makes sense.

4 Likes

Honestly I think you need to go back to the drawing board with the territories here. Pondfisher is 100% correct in the fact that these factions hold way way too much land. Their control of large portions of their territory would realistically be in name only, i.e they just drew lines on their map and claimed that area as their own, rather than in actuality with outposts and troops there. Furthermore, how do these large factions stop outbreaks from reoccurring within their own land? They can’t clear every single house, not with the amount of territory they actually own.

In reality, the city states would probably be the actual powerhouses (low total area means outbreaks are easier to control if not prevent, infrastructure is less of an issue as they’re smaller, centralised government with council buildings and protocols already in place giving them the organisational edge over bandits and warlords) and factions like the Federation would not even exist due to the inherent instability of the apocalypse and everyone gunning for a piece at the top of the ladder.

Also, why would the Federation military not just use the millions of surplus uniform sets of the US Army UCP uniforms that’s been issued to Guardsmen and US Army personnel alike since like, 2005? I would bet anything there’s still thousands of unopened sets of UCP cammies sitting forgotten in the back of a warehouse which would need a light dusting and they’d be in perfect condition. It would make more sense than making entirely new uniforms when resources are already stretched thin as they are, and organised industry is at a low.

2 Likes

This is partially why I was hesitant to make it in the first place, to be honest. I’m honestly thinking about canning the whole thing to begin with and focus on the Hytale server I had planned. @RUSE

That or I can move the timeline to be farther in the future, do a total overhaul of the lore, or just can it all together. I’m most likely to can it to focus on the Hytale server. Anyone can pick up where I left off. I was just throwing the idea out.

(Update 2 days later, decided to push the story to 2100. With a possible intermediate period between 2020 and 2100) So that’s 80 years of possible expansion to possibly close a critical plot hole.)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.