Some important suggests for RP in Unturned II

I’ve hosted a lot of RP servers in 3.0 and a major problem that limited the creation and creativity of an RP server in 3.0 was the lack of features outside of Rocket and workshop mods that catered directly to RP. If Nelson wants RP to be an optional “game-mode” type thing in II I highly suggest the following:

• Knocking Out/Consciousness: If a player has a large melee weapon or a gun, they can choose to knock somebody out by walking up to them and pressing a button (example: Shift + G) and it does an animation on them to knock them out. They will fall down as if dead and will be unable to talk, move, etc for several seconds. This can be used for so many things that I will show in the next few suggestions

• Restraining players: When a player is knocked out, the person who knocked them out can use a ziptie or handcuffs by pressing Y on them and selecting “Restrain Player”. Once they restrain the player, that restrained player will be unable to use long distance comms or type anywhere in chat other than area chat. When restrained, players can access their inventory and take what they want from it, players can see extended information about who they have restrained and if they have group members online, etc etc. Maybe in a server option Nelson can choose for players to not know the name of other players unless they reveal themselves in area chat, with the restraining feature allowing to see someones name. **This suggestion would seriously encourage players to not KoS in RP servers, as if they choose to get zipties they can be rewarded for actually RPing and not just killing them (assuming RP servers have loot drop on death toggled off) so RP server griefing would be much less common.)

• Lockpicking: Lockpicks will be the Stealy Wheely Automobiley of II, except completely different. First off, doors and storages can now be lockpicked. Also, lockpicks will not work on everything. Lockers and vault doors will be 100% invincible to lockpicks and so will armored military vehicles - it can be up to a mod creator to choose vulnerability to lockpicks. Third, lockpicks will have a success rate in what it’s attempting to lockpick. Smaller storages, basic doors, or common cars will be easier to lockpick and have an increased vulnerability to lockpick, while more tougher things will take multiple lockpicks. When lockpicking something, there is a major chance that the lockpick will break, resulting in requiring more lockpicks. Lockpicking will also take time (maybe 30 seconds?) and will trigger car alarms or maybe even household alarms that alarm the house/car owner or even it’s group as well. Lockpicking can also be used to help break out of jail cells and doors.

• A proper money system: Instead of relying on Rocket for a proper money system or having to use XP as money, Nelson should program a “Roleplay” gamemode that switches and turns off some survival mechanics and replaces them with roleplay mechanics, like automatically turning off zombies and having a system to carry money on you or something like that. I don’t know really, elaborate for me in the comments.

5 Likes

Knocking Out:
I’ve seen knocking out people mentioned in other posts. Not sure how’d I feel about it but I’m interested in what ideas you have for it.

Restraining Players:
With being able to access inventories of other players right now I’d definitely expect the handcuffing to have what you mentioned. I don’t see removing long distance communication as something that’d work though because of Discord.

Lockpicking:
Lockpicking could definitely have some of those features you mentioned. It seems frustrating when someone is able to steal a very rare vehicle in mere seconds in 3.0.

Money System and RP:
Having more of a use for money ingame would be nice and I could see it being incorporated into a lot of things for the game like NPCs.

The way I see custom gamemodes is that they exist so that the community can implement features like roleplay that don’t fit into the main game. A special gamemode for roleplay shouldn’t be vanilla in my opinion. Turning off zombie spawns will almost definitely be added in though and maybe even some of the survival mechanics you have in mind can be disabled. If you want a true roleplaying experience you’ll have to make a gamemode for it instead of relying solely on official content.

1 Like

Keep in mind that because RP is not the focus of the game, it will continue to be a community gamemode and not an official one. It’s still the community’s responsibility, though Nelson in various ways is allowing Unturned II to facilitate RP better than U3 did. Most of what you suggested has either already been confirmed or will be/has been implemented in a more effective manner.

An instant incapacitation, regardless of circumstances, is incredibly easy to abuse and overpowered even in RP. I’d rather just have the items be tweaked to do a high enough damage to put the person in a DBNO state (DBNO is confirmed already so there’s that) instead of an unconditional assassination-style move that is nearly impossible to avoid or counter…

This is already supported in a more versatile manner - surrendered players’ inventories are accessible to others. Restraints would instead see the use it was originally intended in RP, that being preventing a potentially dangerous captive from fighting back on their captors.

It also wouldn’t really solve the issue of KoS on RP servers - as far as U3 goes, from my experience this has typically been due to poor rule enforcement on the part of staff. KoSers in RP servers usually don’t kill for the loot, but instead just to troll.

Lockpicking as a mechanic has been implicitly confirmed, at least for doors/windows.

Car and house alarms are a good addition with wide applications to both RP and non-RP gameplay, so I can see that they have a high chance of being added into the vanilla game.

As for the lockpicking mechanic itself, rather than using plain RNG, I’d prefer a skill check/minigame of some sort that requires actual skill on the part of the player to perform the task. With this in mind the skill check can be made easier or harder depending on various factors such as the quality of the lock and the lockpick being used.

Money exists in U3 already as an item, so I’m not sure how “relying on Rocket for a proper money system” would be relevant.

I don’t think there needs to be an official custom gamemode just to change already configurable settings that are already very easy to manually change. In the case of zombie spawns, in U3 literally all you have to do is change a single field to 0.

As for anything else, that’s the job of modders and not Nelson.

2 Likes

If we have takedown animations, the victor should be determined by skillpoints, buffs and debuffs from clothing and consumables, positioning of the player, and/or currently equipped items. When you get close enough to grab someone it should be an extremely risky situation, but if you’ve got a pistol and he’s got a long gun or you’ve got a knife and she’s got a polearm, then it may be the best chance you have.

I’d strongly prefer a down but not out state where the player can talk, move, and even have some limited item usage, but if there’s a state that goes beyond that, I’d say it should be more that for a short period after dying from minor wounds, you can be revived if you don’t choose to respawn.

If the same basic money system can be used for horde mode, then sure I don’t see why it shouldn’t be tweaked for a possible RP gamemode or even used to replace the XP money system in survival.

1 Like

Ah… There’s this one game that has a pretty neat lockpicking mechanic.

Pre post Edit: found it. It’s a game called “the last stand:Union city” its a pretty fun side scrolled zombie game, though it’s also pretty short.

Anywho it has an I retesting lockpicking mechanic where you have to push up the pins and stop them at the right place, which is just found from you guessing. If there are multiple pins, and you complete one but fail the next you have to start over, but you can use what you know about where the pin needs to land to get back to where you were.

The lockpicking skill just makes the areas where you can stop the pin successfully larger

1 Like

As others have said this would be very overpowered and would be heavily abused. And if there would be an animation for this then the “victim” will need to be stopped and unable to move so the animation would work properly.

I think that being able to see someone’s online group members by just downing them would be devoid of any logic , unless you ask them nicely , they will tell you everything

I would like to point out that cars have entierly different lock mechanisms from doors and you wont be able to use a lockpick for that car but maybe the Steely Wheely Automobiley will make a comeback for this .

Like Aj pointed out it would be better if unturned would have a similar lockpicking mechanic to the one in “the last stand:Union City” then to the one you deacribed

My biggest problem with RP is the KOS Dilemma, which is very simple.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903364974

But what makes the KOS Dilemma 100x worse is that in 3.0 most guns have the potential to kill in less than a second. This makes people uncomfortable to RP and let your guard down. If you aren’t always ready to kill, then you’ll get killed, cry, complain, and call an admin.

If you are ready to kill in defense, you’re the one labeled as a mass KOSr simply because the kill logs say you’re the one who killed them all.

Sure this post is cool and all, suggesting new content but it doesn’t help address the biggest problems in RP, being the KOS Dilemma.

I have suggested things before, however, that may signifigantly decrease the problem such as my Replays suggestion.

Now on to your actual post. All of what you suggest, in my mind, doesn’t have to be in the base game or created by Nelson rather 4.0 should be so module-istic and mod-able to the point where these functions can be added through content creators.

Not saying I wouldn’t want to see them in the base game, just saying instead of putting the work on Nelson to add this content, he should rather put a big emphasis on making sure others will be able to make such content.

lmao imagine you’re all safe, then the person you hate the most on the server forces you into a knockout animation and you have to watch them do it, like something straight out of Apex.

it would be hilarious if they ragdolled down onto the ground rather than some basic animation.

Speaking of knocking people out, Nelson would have to make players look clearly different from being dead, and being unconscious. It would be quite awkward to run up to a dead corpse to loot, when it suddenly gets up and shoots at you. (actually maybe this could be a legitimate and hilarious tactic)

None of this suggestion says anything about being able to move Restrained players. I wanna throw people off bridges god dammit!

nice. Or it could do some Town-Of-Salem styled stuff and replace whatever they say in world chat with “I am blackmailed” lmao. but that also works.

Cool.

Being able to be anonymous is cool. Perhaps you could just blindfold them instead so they dont even get a look at your physical appearance.

Me being a friendly player, this is nonsense.

It will always be much easier to just kill them and get it over with. I tiptoe around players, giving away the tactic of surprise in order to see if they’re cool and perhaps want to be friends. If anything this will just lead to more Deathmatches in RP, as people who are being “robbed” or “restrained” will be (on a normal server) be justified to fight back, and so will the robbers afterwards.

Similarly to me being friendly, this just puts the robbers in the bad spot to be shot first, while they cant shoot back. Just as I said earlier, Unturned RP sucks because anyone can die in less than a second.

Oh I am so in favor of storages getting lockpicked. Its overwelmingly annoying to see storage strewn about the map. But then again, am I? That would make certain base designs I’ve used completely obsolete, because I hide storages in unlikely places.

ah, thats where it gets good. sure then.

I mean, XP as money worked just fine if you never have to worry about leveling up your skills. Unless you want to give players money, which sucks, but I thought there was a Uconomy addon that let you use EXP for sending to others.

idk. I had this neat concept where /kit payday gave you a note, and you had to go to a bank and convert it to use-able cash from an NPC aka EXP.

1 Like

Yeah forgot to mention, but restrained players can also be moved around. When restrained they can’t sprint but anyone can choose to move them around (but the person moving them can’t sprint either) and do whatever they want. You can even choose to take off their clothes and put clothes on them (finally, a use for the blindfold!)

Also, zipties can slowly “expire” almost on your arms, to discourage immediately Q and E spamming to get out. After maybe ten minutes, the ziptie will be very easy to break out of, maybe 15-20 seconds of Q and E spamming will break you out if you wait 10 minutes, while the first minute or so of being ziptied, you can’t break out at all - even if you try.

This is to encourage trying to break out of hostage situations once you actually became a hostage instead of just trying to break out while people have a gun to your head - which is a violation of VLR (value your life rule) and you wouldn’t actively break out of zipties with a gun to your head.

1 Like

OhMyGodImGoingToThrowTheCapitalistPigsOffBridges

I imagine the animation being like one player holding them up by wrapping theirs arms around them from behind, the other person lifted with their legs in the air. with this animaton, it would be quite easy to use random players as meat shields

the worst part about Q&E spam is I dont know if I’m doing it right. If there were a HUD saying “you’re handcuffed/ziptied, press x to get out” then switches to “press y” I’d be a bit happier.

Ok fair, once you’re a hostage you’re a hostage. But then again, a smart player would just be prepared for a group to try and turn him into a hostage, at which he has two choices.

1 - Follow some ■■■■■■■ “FEARRP1!1!!” rule that says if theres more of them then there are of you, you must become a hostage, even if you already have a weapon out.

2 - Shoot the shit out of them the moment they confirm their intent to kidnap you.

1 Like

Love the suggestions. Tbh the dev team should just look at the current most popular roleplay mods, servers, and plugins and add the most popular roleplay features into Unturned II. This was RP, Semi-RP, and Regular servers can just merge into one another, in theory. Would be cool to see!

I agree with this, it is a good idea to take inspiration from the modders.
(By the way, there isn’t really a ‘dev team’. It’s one person called Nelson Sexton.)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.