Standalone server

I would love to see some sort of “steam free” “cross-OS” server, because it is almost impossible to run steam, download unturned and successfully run the server on weak old pc with Win XP or Linux (but powerful enough to maintain the server).
//Sorry for my English.

1. Peer-to-peer servers are confirmed

2. Multiplatform is impossible since 4.0 is in development for PC only

1 Like

By multiplatform, I mean Windows/Linux/MacOS. I have corrected that in the original post.

I am still unsure of what you mean. If you don’t have enough power to run a server, then you just don’t have enough power to run a server. The solution would just be to get better hardware at that point.

1 Like

I think he means being able to host private servers for friends on steam that cant come over to where you live :confused:

You can’t host a private server for someone who’s not in your local network - that’s like trying to send an email to someone who has no internet access

1 Like

I have been trying to set up unturned server on Linux and it is painful (and not working for me). Most of the issues were (and still are) with Steam not starting, not logging in and so on. I have Lubuntu on the computer (which works fine), because Windows (XP) is too laggy.

there are games that work that way though, like say gta v (I know this is a bad example because they spent years on that game) you can host a server where only your friends can join. its not possible, may just be hard. I would like to see it as something that would come out ways away in the future. like long after 4.0 is available to everyone.

IIRC it’s a built-in feature that’s hosted on a Rockstar Server, not Peer to Peer. To balance this usage out they limit what you can do within those servers.

Hosting unturned server for your friends is extremely easy (on windows), but you need to keep your computer on. So I wanted to host the server on an old (but still powerful enough) computer with Linux. Take for example Minecraft, it has java server, that can be run anywhere as long as there is java and enough power. For unturned you need to download steam (that is the trickiest part) and using steam download unturned and run the unturned server, which usually does not work because of steam or because Linux is not good enough. So I would like to see some Unturned server for Linux.

BTW: for Unturned server on windows, just create shortcut to the Unturned.exe, right-click, properties, add -nographics -batchmode -secureserver/serverName behind the path in quotes and run. The server has created its folder in steamapps/common/unturned/servers with all settings. You can connect to your friends using Hamachi.
//sorry for my english

If you cannot run a server on old hardware then it is a sign that you should upgrade your hardware.

That aside: https://github.com/SmartlyDressedGames/Unturned-4.x-EC2

For 3 everything was very tied into Steam, whereas 4 I’m hoping for it to be more of an optional layer for lobbies, authentication into official servers, etc. So yes: playing without Steam should be possible.

6 Likes

Quick question that I’ve been worrying about for a while: Who’ll administrate official servers?

I am really happy to hear that, because (almost) all my problems with setting up an allways-running server on a linux machine were with steam. I finally gave up when something like “steam GameServes not started” occured and I found no solution.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.