Too many users don’t comprehend the current messages. Too many users abuse their server privileges to fool naive players.
Evidently, the abuse isn’t meant to just be “trolling.” Evidently, many players need to be better informed about what the error/ban messages are telling them.
“Crash log” error message
The “crash log” error message that appears after crashing—which tells you where to find your crash log and how to report it to the developer—needs to be more specific.
- Too many people ask for help with crashing and don’t post the error log, and act as if that error message is the most important information they can provide (rather than at least provide when/how the game crashes, and their hardware.)
Some players do not seem to understand what a directory/file path is, so a possible solution would be to just explicitly state that “you cannot receive help without posting the crash log,” or something to that effect. It is difficult for people who are crashing, and those trying to help, to have to wait several more hours just to start with “helpful” responses.
Bans by server administrators
All bans given out by server administrators are prefixed with [Server] in cyan (think Mod T-Shirt) text.
Server abuse is unfortunate, but ultimately out of Nelson’s control. However, he can easily ruin their “trolling” by prefixing ban messages.
- "[Server] An administrator of this server banned you with the reason: “ban message here.”
If they did not leave a ban message, then it can be made something else.
- “[Server] An administrator of this server banned you.”
If you try connecting to a server you were banned on…
- “[Server] You are banned from this server, and cannot join. Their ban reason was: “ban message here.””
If they did not leave a ban reason, then it is shorter:
- “[Server] You are banned from this server, and cannot join.”
Bans by VAC
All VAC bans are prefixed with [VAC] in orange (think Achievement Rarity) text.
If you receive a VAC ban while you are playing…
- “[VAC] Your account has received a VAC ban, and you can no longer play on VAC-Secured servers. VAC bans are permanent and cannot be appealed. If there was an error in this decision, it will automatically be removed by Steam.”
If you try to join a server when you have a VAC ban…
- “[VAC] Your account has been banned from playing on VAC-Secured multiplayer servers in Unturned. VAC bans are permanent and cannot be appealed. If there was an error in this decision, it will automatically be removed by Steam.”
Bans by BattlEye
All BattlEye bans are prefixed with [BattlEye] in yellow (think BattlEye mask) text.
If you receive ban while in a server:
- “[BattlEye] Your account has received a BattlEye ban, and you can no longer play on BattlEye-protected servers. If you did not cheat, you can appeal to BattlEye from their support page by using the appropriate contact form.”
If you try to join a server when you have a BattlEye ban:
- “[BattlEye] Your account has been banned from playing on BattlEye-protected multiplayer servers in Unturned. If you did not cheat, you can appeal to BattlEye from their support page by using the appropriate contact form.”
And then, hopefully, people can not spam about it! The server abuse ones are incredibly annoying though, in all honesty, as they seem to blatantly abuse the fact that some people are too innocent to realize what happened, which only reinforces the negative stereotype that “all server admins abuse their power.”