Suggestions for games similar to Unturned?

Molt had some pretty nice recommendations, but rather than suggesting games that play the most comparably to Unturned, I’d like to just suggest a game that I find to be as fun (even if it varies quite a bit in comparison), while still somewhat in a similar genre or feel to Unturned.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Price: Free (standalone, download from website)
Singleplayer, third-person, ASCII/Tile based, open world sci-fi post-apoc survival, permadeath w/persisting worlds
Development: Released Jan 2013, latest update Mar 2019. New experimental builds come out every day.

Summary:
C:DDA is a shining example of a game with a seemingly simple interface but incredible complexity. The game itself is ASCII (though it also has an identical official tileset graphics alternative) and despite being graphically dated for obvious reasons, has depth that is almost unparalleled in the survival genre (though it also has a sharp learning curve to match). You play in a lore-rich post-apocalyptic world with a wide plethora of starting scenarios and world customization options, where zombies are neither the most dangerous nor the most outlandish entities you will see. The task of survival is a genuine struggle, and the scale and scope of the game world is a marvel, to the point that I’ve used C:DDA as a direct inspiration several times for my UII suggestions. You are free to play as you want, and while the world has a lot to discover, there is no obligation to follow the storyline. It’s 100% free, and frankly, 100% worthy of a recommendation.

Other honorable mentions: RimWorld, NEO Scavenger, Project Zomboid.
None of these are first person, but all of them have significant gameplay depth that is not apparent at first glance. (You might be starting to see a recurring theme in my game choices.) All three are paid, but well worth their price, especially RimWorld which has endless replayability and a modding community that is several times larger and higher quality than that of even Unturned’s. All three also deviate a lot in their own unique way from Unturned, but they all scratch the sandbox-survival itch for me.

5 Likes

I can see based on these games you like Dwarf Fortress? I tried it once personally I could not get into it but I can totally give CDDA a try!

1 Like

Ironically, I’ve actually never played Dwarf Fortress before (and can understand how overwhelming it is), but I do find games with similar principles to be quite enjoyable. RimWorld can nearly be considered a spiritual successor of DF due to parallels in inspiration and design.

C:DDA’s primary similarity to DF is just that it originated as an ASCII-only game - it actually plays quite differently from DF (with DF being oriented as a colony sim and C:DDA more akin to the traditional survival genre), so I’d definitely recommend giving it a try!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.