Suggestions for Level Editor

Hello everyone, I am very excited at the recent news of a level editor coming to Unturned II, and I have some suggestions for new features, to make potentially really cool map ideas come to life.

Suggestion 1: Fully Custom Deadzones

While Deadzones are pretty straightforward as they are, it would be very cool if map makers could customize how Deadzones behaved. For example, it would be very interesting if you could cover a map in a Deadzone that would whittle away at one’s filter quality/immunity slower than a standard Deadzone. I believe that this could spark some creativity with the use of the Deadzone in future maps.

To make this possible, I suggest that Nelson should add the ability to modify the statistics of the Deadzone (rate of quality damage to player with gas mask equipped, rate of immunity damage to an unprotected player, etc), as it will once again further encourage creativity with the Deadzone.

Suggestion 2: An In-game Editor Tutorial

A In-game tutorial would be very nice to have as a quality of life feature for the editor as a whole, because hopefully it will partially subside the learning curve when trying to start out making a map. I remember my first time that I started making maps, and it was a lot of being stumped on how some of the tools that were available to me as a map maker.

This tutorial, if it was to be implemented would need to feature the core sections of the editing toolkit, and show you how things like spawns, objects and nodes work. Ideally if this tutorial is made right, it should make getting started on map creation less daunting and more inviting.

Suggestion 3: Weather That Only Affects Set Areas (like effects currently do)

Weather in the current editor (Rain & Blizzard) are missing a bit of useful customization in the way that they can co-exist on the same map, as one zone of a map can have it snow, while the rest of the map has it rain. this could make creating a map with diverse landscapes a little more easier with not having to worry about a blizzard happening far up in the sky, above a grassy zone where it definitely should not be.

I hope that these suggestions make sense, and are appealing enough to be put in as features. Thank you for reading and taking these suggestions into consideration. I am looking forward to what the future of Unturned holds.

9 Likes

Hey UncleDunkle,

Welcome to the forum! I would like to clarify a few things. To my knowledge the level editor that will be available for Unturned II will be the Unreal Engine 4 Level Editor. While the modding tools will have customization, I assume we will have the vast majority of the functionality that comes with Unreal Engine.

What does that mean in regards to your topic?

That seems moddable.

The modding tools will be distributed through the Epic Games Store, which means that the editor will no longer be found in game like how it is currently. So an in-game tutorial is unlikely. However don’t worry, since the editor is the UE4 level editor, the internet is full of very good tutorials and resources!

As for Unturned specific tutorials, I would keep an eye on the Wiki, once modding gets released, we will force Molt and Nelson to update the wiki resources ;D

Also seems easily moddable.

While I might be an optimist, Nelson won’t need to necessarily add these as features, the functionality to add it ourselves should be right at our fingertips!

5 Likes

whatever holdbaker said

I’m pretty sure you can download notepad++ and edit the stuff in the files

No, Because Legacy editor becomes very easy to understand after a while.
Yes because devkit editor is hard to understand
But then again, the core of Unturned isn’t an editor, its the game itself

I dont wanna claim this is possible
but couldn’t you edit a deadzone node, remove the deadzone effect and replace it with weather effects?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.