The Unturned Community has a Bigotry problem

In reality there’s not really a way to help it other than in the forum, as unturned servers can literally mute people and ban people who differ to their views, it’s such as you see someone saying racist things, you say that it’s not cool and that racism isn’t good, they can literally mute or ban you, then it’s up to nelson to punish the server owner, (i’m not even sure if that happens in the first place), or maybe in discords (then it’s even easier to suppress opposing views using kick/timeout), unless you intend on taking action in ways i can’t think about.

1 Like

I screenshotted McPlerg’s post before it was deleted, I will be responding to it however. In terms of the “hidding”, my mistake, I thought you were someone else who was making an alt due to your accounts recent creation.

Whenever there is a conflict where one side actively wishes for the eradication of the other side, you must push back against it. “Peaceful protests” and pleas for help will not change anything unless you are lucky enough to have powerful people on your side, and many times that is not the case.

Saying that “this post getting banned PROVES you are all against us” isn’t the bombshell you think it is. Yes, I am not a fan of bigotry and I do not tolerate bigots. You clearly position yourself as one, thus I am not a fan of you. If you change then I can welcome you as a brother, but we both know that won’t happen.

4 Likes

The amount of people who asked me to make USSR/Nazi flags for a flag mod by itself was already worrysome, but back then I thought “oh, it’s just kids wanting to do some dumb WWII roleplay I think”, but I refused to add it regardless

turns out I was wrong, and I guess those people weren’t roleplaying at all :skull:

people downplay how these complaints sound wokey “literally hitler” stuff, but now I see it isn’t that far from reality, some people deadass want the genocide of these groups, and I am tired of seeing it still have a platform.

6 Likes

To clarify: both topics are currently in a temporary slow-mode, due to the previously-mentioned reason on the other topic.

Several users were just suspended all for the same reason, so I’ll reiterate this publicly as well. Asking that other people treat each other as equal human beings with rights isn’t “racist” or “just a personality”. These kinds of insinuations are incredibly harmful, and are not welcome here.

Please do not take this topic, or the other one, as an opportunity to attack LGBTQ+ beliefs. This isn’t a political topic – which are prohibited on the site – the topic is just asking to address a lack of basic human decency.

6 Likes

Thanks for adressing an issue that often gets dismissed because “It’s not worth it”, as you said. Curious to see how it all plays out. You’ve got my support here, if that means anything :+1:

13 Likes

I appreciate the response, but action must be taken beyond “this is not welcome here”, as every time there’s calls to do something about it, its allowed to flair up again until the hammer comes down eventually. I appreciate that action was taken quicker than usual, but this still feels like it is coming from a place of careful consideration rather than a will to do anything impactful beyond a slap on the wrist.

EDIT: AND BEYOND THE FORUMS, the official discord and steam discussion seemingly go undermoderated in these regards, all the Z-posting on the server for example, despite SDG’s apparent hard stance on Ukrainian support.

3 Likes

If this is the official stance on the problem then I expect radical change in the method used to address it. The way previous situations of this kind were handled was embarrassing. (Pronoun Box, LGBT jersey, The Benson Hoodie Stuff, BLM, Etc)

Words only mean so much, Action must be taken.

If bigots feel safe in a space then not enough has been done to make them know they are unwelcome.
If bigots feel welcome then its an extremely safe bet that literally everyone else feels unsafe.

6 Likes

These should be removed when they’re reported. If there’s some that haven’t been removed already, they can be reported from within the server. Looking at the moderation chats and logs, it looks like mods are still removing them when they crop up, but I’m sure there’s likely some that haven’t been removed yet.

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard some moderators are not supporting game developer’s idea of involving policy in game since it clearly does not belong in the game where most of the players are minors.

I would appreciate if my vehicles wont be deleted just because they’re involved in current conflicts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then Russian nationalism and calls for Ukrainian Genocide shouldn’t be tolerated in front of minors either :smile:

I do not wish to get caught up in a bad faith argument with you on if vehicles that you’ve been making to provoke belong in the game when you have been happy to display the contents of your character in more blatant terms to me before.

2 Likes

What point are you attempting to make here exactly? if you dislike someone based entirely on nothing but their gender/sexual identity you are automatically a bigot, regardless of what religion you follow, literally no one follows their religion to a point, there are so many rules constantly violated by even the highest ranking officials of every religion, using religion to justify bigotry is just an easy scapegoat for being a bad person.

it’s genuinely so baffling that you have to explain to people that being mean = bad

7 Likes

how did we get here dawg :sob:

6 Likes

It would appear that many posts have been removed. The off topic and bigotry clean up is appreciated. Something that has been lost is @calamari comment about how the thread had become an example of the exact bigotry that her post was about.

3 Likes

For the record:
My intentions with this post are to make light of the bigotry problem, Educate on the whys and hows of the problem, and share ways to address it. The reaction to this thread has only served to prove all my original points.

I want the best for this community, and I will do whatever is necessary to help us reach a point where rampant hatred is a thing of the past. We can only get there through cooperation and understanding at a basic level.

6 Likes

The recent posts regarding religion strayed away from the original topic, and have since been removed. Repeatedly derailing a topic will result in a suspension, especially if you’ve already been warned for doing so earlier in the topic.

Please follow the Code of Conduct, follow proper Netiquette, and be mindful of our policy for On-topic Discourse.

7 Likes

I think an excellent way to potentially assist the discussion would be an official statement (or even a stand alone post) reaffirming the SDG stance on the issue, and an outline of the plans to address it. Then of course, a follow through on those plans for real change to be made.

The first step to fixing this is admission of the issue’s existence on a official level.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

For what it’s worth: I am for equality for all gender/race/sexuality, and I consider myself on the left socially/politically/economically. I mention this in regards to reaffirming SDG’s stance, though it sounds like this should also be affirmed in a more official manner as well. I guess this is just a placeholder comment to address part of the OP for the meantime.

14 Likes

as alot of us are, nelson. however, as mentioned in the post, this needs to be cracked down on harder. alot of us say we are supportive but words dont really mean much if we dont take action. an official statement should be made where it matters (i.e, the discord), and the moderators should be educated on whats not allowed to be said. although at this moment i feel the moderators of the discord share the ““neutral”” approach to it, not to mention how i have actually witnessed transphobic remarks from admins in the official server, similar to the examples from the original post. better moderating the discord server for this kind of thing should be one of the first things that happens, wether thats educating current admins, or getting in new ones.

6 Likes