The whole "Realism for Realism" is bad and the opinions on realistic game mechanics

Now there has ben a lot of talk about “Realistic” features and mechanics in unturned ll, some of the opinions has ben very positive towards realism, some opinions have had problems/disagreements towards realism and many somewhere inbetween the positive and negative side.

I feel like it would be really good if we could get an overall common belief of what amount and parts of realism makes the game fun, feel good, intresting and balanced and what would just make the game “not fun”, annoying, unbalanced and even rage inducing.

Now first of all i wannt to say that Realism can be a really good thing, since Unturned ll is going to be more of a survival game then 3.0 and survival games tend to have more realism then other kinds of games.

Now to the whole point of this whole post, Which mechanics and features make the game better, balanced and more fun, and wich ones makes it worse, anoying and unbalanced.

Good Realistic features and mechanics are the ones that:

• Make the game more fun and enjoiable to play

• Gives the game that special feeling that survival games have

• Gives more intresting features and depth to the gameplay

• Have balance to them and not relying heavily on RNG

Bad realistic mechanics and features are the ones that

• Make the game more anoying then enjoiable to play

• are unbalanced and where there is to much RNG on bad mechanics/features you cant do anything about

• makes the game look bad in terms of gameplay

• makes you not wannt to play the game

Some examples of bad and unbalanced features: having to lay in bed for 30 ingame days for a broken bone to heal, slipp on a vet rock or tripp over because of some roots and breaking a leg, spawning in with random disabilities, amputation of limbs and so on… you mostlikly get the point by now

Now this is my view on the matter and id really like to hear yours on the topic

(i know there has ben posts about the Realistic suggestions this but i really felt like it had to be brought straight to the poitn)

12 Likes

This sums up the balance of realism nicely, nice post!

2 Likes

*Enjoyable. I’m going to put a bullet in your head now.

1 Like

Nice constructive, well thought out response!

ohwait

Anyways @skoeldis I think most of the “good realistic features” can be summed up as immersive features, or features that don’t take you out of the game. That can range from simply enjoyable content that sticks with the theme of the game to realistic/semi-realistic gameplay.

Either way I definitely agree that realistic mechanics, features, etc, that do nothing to actually promote people playing the game, unbalance the game, or otherwise add unnecessary levels of RNG or other unfun factors into the game should not be added to II.

Some immersive, well thought out, and balanced features (that may have to sacrifice some level of realism for the sake of gameplay)? Definitely what I’d like to see.

1 Like

yeah, rEaLiSm is bAd, we get it, not as if everyone makes posts on this subject all the goddamn time

2 Likes

Typical from reds.

Jokes aside, this is a good post, since there should be a very reasonable balance between gameplay and realism.

I’m thinking about making a post where we can put many of the most controversial suggestions that are intended to “improve” realism over the table and reach a direct and safe consensus, since every time I see a hot/polemic topic based on this there’s just walls of text that in the very end are nothing but “smartassy-ish” arguing.

Then the posts get locked or die without a healthy conclusion.

very nice, I think this sums up all the posts about this quite nicely. It should be perfectly balanced as all things should.

Great post, +1 (do people still do that?)

also on that last part were you showed examples of unbalanced features, that would be a hilarious, over-the-top hardcore mode

1 Like

thank you for this extremely constructive post.

What can I say except “you’re welcome…”

:heart: Grammar is a serious issue amongst my generation. I cannot say I’m any better but I try to make an attempt.

Duh good features make the game more “fun”
(I prefer the term engaging since it doesn’t focus on just joy)

Yeah bad features make a bad game and people don’t want to play those.

I do agree with you on the overuse of RNG.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.