To Build a Fire

Let’s talk about fire. I think that everyone can agree with me when I say that being able to turn a campfire on and off by pressing [F] is terribly unrealistic and clunky. Therefore, today I have resolved to make a “quick and short” post about building fires in UII, as well as several small mechanics that could affect fire building and lighting.

A fire is composed of three main elements, which can be illustrated by the diagram provided below:

The Fire Triangle

Removing any one of these components causes the fire in question to be extinguished, and likewise a fire cannot exist in the first place in the abcense of one of its components.

Without sufficient heat, the fire can neither start nor continue, as fire itself is actually just flaming gas rather than a physical object, and requires heat to vaporize the fuel in order to burn. Without fuel, the fire has nothing to burn, and therefore will also stop. Finally, all fires require oxygen as an oxidizer as one of the reactants of the chemical reaction of fire.

Now that we’ve covered the actual components of a fire, we can get onto the actual making of a fire. The following steps are universally accepted as the best way to get a fire going, although there are of course exceptions such as manufactured fire logs which are made of sawdust and paraffin and are therefore really easy to light.

• Step 1: Tinder

No, not the dating app. Tinder is fine, easily flammable material that catches fire easily from a spark at the minimum. It’s the fundamental and arguably most important step of making a fire as it has to be absolutely dry, as in not a single drop of moisture. Common materials include char cloth, birch bark, cotton balls, any of the alkaline earth metals such as magnesium, and paper. I’ll go into more detail about individual examples of tinder and other materials of making a fire later in the appendix portion of this topic. Really, any flammable material will work as tinder as long as it is finely divided, which increases surface area, and is again, absolutely dry.

• Step 2: Kindling

The next step up from tinder, kindling is second stage of making a fire and is used to increase the size of the flames enough to ignite the main bulk of the fuel. Examples of kindling include small sticks, twigs, and cardboard. A good rule of thumb is anything from the diameter of a pen to one of your fingers is a good size for kindling.

• Step 3: Fuel

The bulk of the fire, this roughly encompasses any combustible material that is larger than kindling, up to and including entire logs of wood.

• Step 4: Arrangement

A teepee fire, in which tinder is placed in the center, with kindling and fuel stacked on top of each other in order of smallest to largest

The arrangement of the fire heavy affects how the fire itself burns, with the teepee arrangement as shown above being the easiest and most commonly used layout. Additional types will be included in the appendix.

• Optional: Accelerant

An accelerant is any type of substance, usually a liquid, that “accelerates” the development of the fire. This is basically the “cure-all” to starting a fire, as it can boost the chances of the fire igniting to 100% almost all the time, unless, of course, your tinder is fucking wet. These include gasoline, lighter fuel, etc.

• Step 5: Lighting

After all the previous steps have been taken, you can now light the fire. Methods of igniting the fire will be included in the appendix.

Congratulations, you now have a fire :fire:

As for how this can be correctly implemented into UII, a system similar to that of The Long Dark would work quite well, in my opinion.

Appendix

Additional examples of tinder
  • Magnesium shavings
  • Char cloth
  • Fatwood (resin-impregnated wood from dead conifers such as pine trees)
  • Birch bark
  • Dry bread
  • Shoe polish
  • Bird down
  • Manufactured tinder (such as tinder cubes or cotton balls impregnated with petroleum jelly)
Additional fire arrangements
  • Star fire
    Firewood is layed out in the pattern shown, which allows the fire to burn all throughout the night with little to no maintenance as the logs are pushed towards the center.

• Cabin fire

In this arrangement the fuel is built in a crisscross manner that allows maximum heat output.

Additional methods of lighting fires
  • Lighters
  • Matches
  • Ferrocerium lighter rods
  • Fire pistons
  • Magnifying lens
  • Fire plough
  • Bow drill
  • Flint and steel
11 Likes

Overall well-rounded, TLD’s system would be perfect for UII, if not for the fact that it’s designed for singleplayer and manipulates time over several minutes. That’s likely a very easy issue to circumvent, but I thought I’d bring it up.

As for U3, I always imagined a crazy scenario where a survivor is able to light fires off of burner zombies. I’m not asking to see that in UII as it would likely be broken (not even considering the fact that burners may not return to UII entirely), but nonetheless environmental sources of fire in UII would be quite interesting.

2 Likes

These fire facts were wonderful but I see a considerable lack of suggestions for actual game implementation.
(tbh i might just not notice what your suggesting because you aren’t explicitly saying “this should”)
What I’ve gathered so far is that fires in U4 should be crafted in stages and not just all at once magically igniting itself.
And takes time to make, right?
And most importantly don’t use fucking wet tinder
What would fire be useful for in U4 anyway?
Cooking?
Crafting?
Warmth?
Edit: you suggested the long dark system
I take a look at what that is.

I’ll stick with the Clunky one thank you. Its time efficient

We should be able to start a fire with Molotov or flamethrower .

This isn’t about time efficient, it’s about making the game more survival-based.

1 Like
Conclusion

Use fancy pictures and god-tier formatting, so you get all the eyes, minds and hearts.

SMH. I’ll kill you all.

A proper fire system seems like something UII could really use to reaffirm that it is a survival based game. Maybe having the arrangement is a bit too far, but I do see where you’re coming from.

You didn’t include kindling.
Not to mention I was in China when you made that topic, meaning I didn’t notice it at all.

I mentioned the use of sticks as reference, but by that then I didn’t even know that ‘kindling’ was the technical term for their usage to lit fire.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.