Trello Thoughts

Topic will be updated from time to time, with changes/additions to ideas and such. Feel free to post your opinions.
update: 23/9/17 (heading, inventory conclusion, movement conclusion)

This topic covers the ideas on the Unturned 4.0 Wishlist Trello with thoughts as to how it will be executed and why. The suggestions made here will try to stay on the game feel of Unturned and/or improve it. New ideas may emerge from here but will be one way or another connected to an idea already listed in the 4.0 Trello.

Starting with the most important component - gameplay.

“… gameplay is the degree and nature of the interactivity that the game
includes.
” (Rouse, 2004)

Inventory

The fundamental of gameplay first discussed will be; Inventory.

Micromanaging should be a major role in inventory, where weight and size affect different factors that may limit the player in terms of movement and situational readiness.

A good example of inventory size micromanaging is Capcom’s Resident Evil 4. Players have to manage which items to take and leave as different items have its own pros/cons and uses, and are limited to the inventory size.

re4inv

–

For inventory weight; Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are the most notable. Players have an inventory limited by the capacity their character can carry, and items have varying weight. Going over the character’s maximum carrying capacity will penalize the player with over encumbrance, slowing down the character’s movement speed by a large margin and deny fast travel to a location.

fnvinv

–

Unturned 2.0 has an inventory weight system but did not have a XY grid inventory which Unturned 3.0 currently has. Both has its advantages and disadvantages but the XY grid is much more superior than the slotted inventory of 2.0. The XY grid lets players manage the items based on how much grid space it takes up, but with a higher tier equipment such as an Alicepack, they can fill it with multiple Hell’s Fury and its corresponding ammunition.

–

• weight of items affect stamina and movement

If the XY grid inventory is implemented with a weight system, players will have to manage the items they will take and leave, forcing them to decide which equipment and items is best for the situation they may face. This might encourage roles in groups and different loadouts to fit the environment they’re in. “Mission dictates gear.”

Unturned has a tactical aspect such as bullet travel and drop. Weighted items will not only compliment this aspect but may also give players a dilemma in deciding which gear to take, as it affects movement speed and stamina regeneration. Players with a lighter haul have a faster stamina regeneration and movement speed, otherwise slower.

To keep intact Unturned’s nature of a pick-up survival game, the penalty should pass a certain high-threshold.

• stack non-unique items e.g. food either up to a limit or it consumes inventory slots

Currency items should be stackable while survival necessities such as food,drink,medications,etc… consume inventory slots.

• transfer certain amount of item and/or all instances of that item

Stacked items - yes.
Non-stacked items - no.

Players should be able to trade currency items quick, as currency trading implies that the player and a third-party is in a mutual area.

While non-stacked items such as weapons, clothing, food/drink, etc… are individually dropped as to create tension when not in a mutual area.

–

Encouraging players to take what they need and form a strategy as to which equipment will be best for them in the long run sounds like a great way to improve combat. And micromanaging in inventory is a neat-o idea to ante up survival and situational readiness.

Movement

Movement is essential in survival, especially in gunfights. It gets us from point A to point B, and a short halt might cost the player his character’s death.

• hold prone while running to dive
• hold crouch while running to slide

While it sounds like a good concept of free movement, it does not fit well in this pick-up survival game. It leans too much in fast-paced combat and not survival. It’s just silly.

titanfallslide

• lean while prone to roll
• hold sprint to move faster in any stance at the expense of stamina and increased detection
• slide down ladder

Movement while at a seemingly restrictive position is one way to slip away from a sticky situation and could introduce new techniques and dynamic maps to accommodate these types of movement.

• lean out of vehicle windows
• freelook with head facing camera direction

Allowing players to look around while maintaining their movement in a general direction or staying put is a good way to keep movement detection low and environmentally aware. And peeking out a car window to get a better view at the target (and vice-versa) gives more options for those hitching in a vehicle.

arma2look

–

Giving players too much freedom of movement is great on paper, but when visualized, it might be a shit storm. Just picture Seattle with players sliding and diving, in and out with Honeybadgers, yeah. There must be a limit as to how much freedom of movement a player can have as to not be a nuisance to others.

-will be updated-

5 Likes

I disagree with you on the diving/rolling; it’s main use for me at least would be you dive into a wall while in a gunfight. Otherwise, I agree with you on most other points.

I personally hate the idea of sliding and diving and advanced movement. Take a look at Call of Duty’s gunplay. Ever since they’ve implemented advanced motion the multiplayer has became a clusterfuck.

I’m not saying add wall running, I’m saying add a slide like in Destiny. You press crouch while sprinting, and you slide into a wall. I would find it useful.

Yeah I meant that and prone diving, of which both are on the trello.

I’d like to see the Inventory Provider Equipment Based to be limited, what I’m talking about is, equipment such as TShirts, Pants, Hats, to be not providing Inventory slots, and the player should have initial slots, such as

• Hands
    Max can fit up to 2 Hand-gun / 1 Double-handed Melee
  • Back
    ( which you can swap weapon stored in the back )
    Max can fit up to 2 rifle ( if it’s too op, then just 1 rifle, with additional slots for magazines ) / Melee weapon

and there are other source of inventory slots provider such as

• Backpack
    or an
  • Armor ( Kevlar, etc. )
    but Armor type inventory should not give huge amount of slots, it intended to store ammo and magazines, or in other words
    Max can fit up to 10 Magazines

i don’t see how sliding/diving would be as bad as you’re making it out to be. it probably wouldn’t be like halo reach where the slide would take you fucking 5 meters ahead or like that weird roblox cod ripoff where diving would send you like 7 feet up in the air.
if anything the sliding would probably be best if it was like insurgency (except probably toned down) and the diving like ro2 (except maybe just a little bit higher because damn it’s low

I just didn’t like the idea of sliding/diving in Unturned. It is a pick-up survival game so I thought of it to be as not too simple and not too complex. Sliding/diving would just mess up CQB in my opinion. Players could slide towards their attacker and completely dodge a headshot, which is dumb. That’s just one of many possible scenarios.

I know it’s really trivial but you changed verb tenses halfway through

I don’t understand what you mean by this [quote=“Raieus, post:8, topic:912”]
as not too simple and not too complex.[/quote]
And sliding towards someone while getting shot at would be strategy, I guess.

He meant that he thinks Unturned’s mechanics shouldn’t be overly simplified nor advanced/complex, possibly because he thinks it should be a game anyone can hop into and immediately understand (hence the usage of “pick-up survival game,” but you didn’t quote the whole sentence).

i don’t see how sliding/diving would be very complex at all, and you can easily dodge headshots just by zigzagging anyways.

Ah, I see now.
I don’t believe this is too hard of a concept to understand.

Not saying that sliding/diving is difficult or easy, it is just that I don’t see the point why it should be in Unturned. Insurgency may have sliding but you have to consider the fact that it is realism and mistakes are very punishing.

Though I would like to hear your thoughts on how and what good it would bring when implemented into the game, rather than just guesses and comparisons. :confused:

Yeah that’s really a nuisance in combat. If I get the first lock onto an enemy’s head I should be with the advantage.

If he slides towards me he obviously gets the advantage because my aim is likely above his head, yet he probably has his aim at my at the core and can already deal damage on the way.

Not saying that sliding/diving is difficult or easy

you were making it out to be overly complicated when really it’s not that at all.

Insurgency may have sliding but you have to consider the fact that it is realism and mistakes are very punishing.

Unturned has relatively fast TTK, high recoil (when you have no skills) and bleeding. the only reason unturned isn’t very punishing is headshots barely do any extra damage (except with sniper rifles) and you can heal yourself in about a second, both of which could be easily changed.

Though I would like to hear your thoughts on how and what good it would bring when implemented into the game, rather than just guesses and comparisons.

1. weird phrasing hurts my eyes so i’m not answering how as i don’t know what you’re referring to with that

2. sliding is really good for getting into cover quickly. diving is as well and could arguably also curb dropshotting somewhat (though the humongous head hitboxes don’t make that too much of an issue) by forcing you to dive forward and be unable to attack if you make the stupid move of trying to prone while sprinting into an enemy

If I get the first lock onto an enemy’s head I should be with the advantage.

and you would? unless he was sprinting, in which case you likely wouldn’t have a very good lock regardless. but think about it: you encounter an enemy, he isn’t sprinting, you aim at his head. in order for him to slide under it, first he has to sprint to full speed, TOWARDS YOU, and then slide. at that point you’ve already demolished him. the only way in which sliding under someone’s aim is a problem is if the person is already sprinting, in which case he could’ve easily gotten out of your field of aim without sliding.

Wait how was I making it overly complicated?

I know. Those are one of the reasons why I don’t see sliding/diving to be fitting in Unturned.

Oh sorry. What I meant was how sliding/diving would improve gameplay. Mistake on my part, reading it made me realize the sentence had redundancy.

I see where you’re going with this, while getting behind cover quickly makes sense for Unturned’s survival and combat aspect (though more on fast-paced unfortunately), it just seems like a hindrance from my point of view.

You make pretty good points here, but again, for me it is just another nuisance in combat, I just don’t think it fits well with Unturned.

(These are just our opinions and there are no wrong answers.)

Wait how was I making it overly complicated?

well…

I just didn’t like the idea of sliding/diving in Unturned. It is a pick-up survival game so I thought of it to be as not too simple and not too complex.

this line implies you think sliding/diving is too complex for unturned

I know. Those are one of the reasons why I don’t see sliding/diving to be fitting in Unturned.

…but…you implied insurgency’s difficulty let sliding fit in well…? you’re losing me here

Oh sorry. What I meant was how sliding/diving would improve gameplay. Mistake on my part, reading it made me realize the sentence had redundancy.

it’s fine i’ve seen far worse sentences

(These are just our opinions and there are no wrong answers.)

fair enough, but a friendly debate is always good right?

Or a no-bullshit experience.

Insurgency’s combat is punishing, Unturned isn’t.
Usually 2-3 shots in Insurgency gets you down real quick while in Unturned people are fucking iron.

No, I’m messaging Discord admins to have you banned on servers right now. /s

before anything i’d like to address the forum itself:

fuck you, forum, i do what i want.
okay moving on

Or a no-bullshit experience.

aside from…sliding under people’s aim (which i’ve already deconstructed as being unlikely or only good for gusto) i don’t exactly see how sliding/diving would be bullshit.

Insurgency’s combat is punishing, Unturned isn’t.

honestly i WANT unturned’s combat to be punishing. besides, i remember nelson saying unturned 4.0 would be 3.0’s harder, darker themed cousin (i probably won’t be able to find the source of that though so take it with a grain of salt) so it could fit.

No, I’m messaging Discord admins to have you banned on servers right now. /s

i get that that was a joke but discord? huh?

1 Like

This. If combat was more punishing it’d be fine but the current system just feels like a shitty COD simulator that’ll get a slip-n-slide feature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unturned/comments/4oou1n/ama/d4egdsr/

1 Like