Unturned needs multiplayer reforms

Now that is correct Unturned status in 2023. Thank you.

Problem with that is that PvE (and singleplayer) is not really interesting. The mechanics itself are pretty simple and can get boring if you have played more than 500 hours. Sure, some curated maps update those mechanics, but even Elver, Kuwait and Buak each add only 20 hours of gameplay (if not less, depends if you are a new player or a veteran. Veterans like me tend to speedrun things, for example if it requires to /give an item for a fetch quest to continue on the map’s questline). Thing is, some mechanics of these maps get boring if you are used to same mechanics of other maps, like, again, with fetch quests, or zombies - they’re all the same on Russia, on Kuwait and on Elver.

This is why people like RP servers, because besides PvE there’s also a part of just interacting with players, with realistic economy and rare PvP with bunch of mods and plugins. More complexity and diversity of interactions and mechanics.

Tl;dr PvE component isn’t really intriguing enough to interest tryhards who play Unturned more than 2 hours a day.
Compare it to Project Zomboid which is so immersive and detailed that you can play it in singleplayer for more than 2000 hours, especially if you install mods or a custom map, or change settings to make things harder, or more complex, or more interesting, etc. etc. Not even talking about nearly-AAA zombie games like DayZ and first Dying Light - even PZ can’t be compared to Unturned (PZ, being an indie game still is developed by more than 1 person), not to mention DayZ and Dying Light.

Still, Unturned has it’s niche of being a relatively simple PvP looter-shooter with zombies as an additional threat. Although some maps like Tales of Terror make zombies harder, most of players just ignore them and only play PvP or RP.

There’s just no straight up competitor to Unturned. If you look up games that are similar to Unturned, they aren’t exactly similar. DayZ has very strict modding and realistic / hard PvP compared to Unturned’s casual approach to PvP, Project Zomboid isn’t really a PvP game and has an isometric perspective, Rust has no zombies and no popular additional gamemodes besides just survival PvP with base building, crafting and limited resources (compare it to Unturned which has all kinds of PvP, PvE, all kinds of RP servers, all kinds of arenas, all kinds of custom plugin gamemodes like a bank heist etc. etc); and still a very strict modding compared to Unturned. Unturned has it’s all - gamemodes, Workshop, modding, plugins, very simple map editor and of course, a simple styling with cubic characters. None of “Unturned competitors” have it all.

Tl;dr what I’m trying to say is that Unturned stays unique.

Unturned wouldn’t die completely (because of it’s uniqueness), but it wouldn’t evolve either. It’s either stagnating or slowly dying because of no good updates and no competitors, players are just getting bored and either leave or cope, by entertaining themselves with being toxic and salty.

Depends on the server, as Witness said.

And part of this is already being worked on. In the next update, there will be a chat filter. Besides that, what do you want Nelson to do? Ban toxic servers? Ban toxic players? Ban admins who don’t want to ban toxic players?

3 Likes

You say that, yet the majority of players play single player (probably just kids tbh)

1 Like

You summed it up perfectly.

Vulnerable people who can’t get into the hard and sometimes toxic envieronment (again, depends on a server). Unturned multiplayer is tough and singleplayer is easy and sure can be more satisfying in the short run, but gets boring in the long run (if your expectations from Unturned rise, PvE and singleplayer can get boring quickly).

2 Likes

I literally speedrunned all of the curated achievements (except Arid finale, because that day when I did it, Kuwait took WAY too long with commands on its own), but never played any of them. Even Elver. And I couldn’t care less. I’m pissed about achievements that aren’t even tied to the base game being actual achievements. I haven’t even played Germany, because it is too laggy in singleplayer on its own.

I could imagine vehicle physics pissing noobs off. There are mods that fix it, yet we haven’t seen any action from Nelson himself yet. It is a way too long standing issue to be excusable at this point.

PvE… doesn’t have to be hard, quite the opposite. With kind of playerbase the game attracts it should stay the way it is. Except fire zombies and invisible kind. Hated both from day 1. I can deal with them, but they do nothing than spend my time by being an annoyance to deal with. Should have never existed. I’m fine with other kind of specials, though. Zombie collision… despite me not really liking it, I try to adapt and honestly that is not a bad change, just poorly implemented. On day 1 crawlers and sprinters had their own hitboxes and now they are as tall as the normal zombies, which is stupid and should be reversed to how it was. And disallow zombies to stack on top of each other. Fixed.

After all, Unturned is more about base building, PvP interactions, or team PvE interactions such as horde beacon.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text.

1 Like

no, but I do think that the rules for what is and is not ok with servers should be updated (not asking for anything strict, just some obvious stuff on similar and including the levels to the ukraine vs russia servers

Epic post fail

Cough cough SOD

SOD what? Good network, actually the only Vanilla server network that is still somehow standing and manages to hold people in at least semi-consistently. The only kind of negative feedback I heard is from people based in RU region, claiming that “server is shit”, “bad admins”, “ping is shit”. They never elaborated on the first two (despite me asking politely) and the third one is inherently wrong, because not only I have a friend based in RU region who has zero ping issues there, but americans play there with their 200 ping or more and don’t complain really. Support is good. Someone’s blocking a location? Make a ticket, they fix it. Someone is cheating? Provide necessary proofs and they get banned if they actually cheat. Once I reported just the steam id of a suspicious dude and admin got back to me claiming the guy was indeed a cheater and it was his third account that week, trying to evade a ban. Needless to say he got banned.

1 Like

People couldn’t behave.