Weapon degradation system

I am fully aware that this must already be planned, but I felt the duty to make a post about it.

Everyone knows how weapon wear works at 3.0, the more you use the quality percentage decreases and the less damage the weapon will apply, this may make sense for melee weapons like knives, axes, swords and machetes, as the blade will be worn out, however it doesn’t make any sense to guns.

My suggestion is that weapons wear out over time or because of the environment, for example the Eaglefire based on the M4A1 could wear out faster and start braking if used a lot in salt water or swampy terrain, or simply wear out faster without necessarily braking just for being in a wetland, it can make sense in real life but it can be very frustrating.

In unturned 3.0 very worn weapons apply less damage, which doesn’t make any sense, so if the gun is dirty or worn it can start to brake and have less accuracy but it doesn’t make sense to shoot at short and medium distance have less damage .

Something I thought is that revolvers and weapons with a more ‘’ simple ‘’ mechanical system wear less out or are less affected by dirt, in real life it is very rare to need to clean a revolver often differently than a pistol, since due to its structure more complex accumulated dirt can result in crashes.

Ok, ok, now how are we going to fix the guns? SIMPLE, exchanging your parts or the most conventional way cleaning with cleaning items exemplified below, can be found in homes, weapons stores, military bases or police stations.

download

3 Likes

I think if anything U2 should use gun oil or repair kits to repair guns compared to scrap. I also strongly feel the “degrading” of the guns should not be as fast as it was in 3.0. Similar to things like silencers and other barrel attachments. I think cleaning should for sure be an element of firearms but not a constant maintenance system. Just because the game is survival I don’t believe guns should break so easily.

Something like the grizzly in vanilla breaks so quickly after a couple rounds. I don’t believe guns should be balanced around their maintenance. Something rare like the grizzly after being cleaned should have a long time before its next cleaning. If guns are to be balanced on their rarity then it should be on their spawn chance and not durability.

I think a way the cleaning system could be utilized well to fit the survival atmosphere of the game is on finding the guns. Most guns found out and around could be in super dirty or moderately dirty condition. Requiring the player to clean it before it is in optimal working condition. But after cleaning a gun and finding ammo it should work for a long time. I think the player will have enough to worry about with their food/water and other survival interactions.

Cleaning guns on discovery along with idea of guns rarely spawning with mags and a wide variety of gun calibers to loot, I think this could solve “The Pvp issue” from 3.0. I put “The Pvp issue” because I personally believe 3.0 did not have a pvp issue but rather it was the “hyper loot” style of the game. People refer to 3.0 having a Pvp issue because of how much pvp went on in game, but I think people are mislabeling it, cause pvp will always happen, its the game. But it was the fact nakeds could get full auto heart breakers 2 mins after spawn. (Depends on the map)

Personally I think guns should around 20% start shooting a little slower or have the action jam. Other than that I don’t see a need to lower the damage of the gun. I like the aspect of Rust’s durability system where guns last a long time. But one thing about Rust I don’t like is after repairing an item it loses 20% durability cap. So the item can only be 80% and then 60% until it breaks and is broken forever. I think guns should just go to 0% or be rendered broke until cleaned.

I am not sure about this as it could be to much. I personally think the whole “Realism for realism’s sake is bad” quote is over used and I hate when people say it to any suggestion that offers a little depth to a system. But I understand why people don’t want unnecessary mechanics to bog down game play. I feel like this mechanic of areas or being in water degrading guns could be treading that line.

I actually went to see how the gun cleaning system of Read Dead Redemption 2 worked again because I really enjoyed it. It was a present feature in the game but never felt overbearing, which is how I think gun durability should be handled, and I enjoyed cleaning the guns cause of the simple yet satisfying gun cleaning animation.

But I found out that wading through water and swampland’s actually damaged my guns which I didn’t know. Maybe I used a little too much gun oil on my guns cause I did a lot of wading through swamps lol. So maybe if handled well the mechanic could be used in U2.

( In RDR2 you just wipe down the gun for like 7 seconds and its clean using 1 gun oil, not realistic as you didn’t clean the inner workings of the gun but gets the idea across in a satisfying manner. Pointing back to the “ReAliSm fOr tHe SaKe” quote.)

3 Likes

Guns have rifling which gets eroded when you fire a lot of rounds through it. Putting scrap on guns makes sense that way, but i think that assault rifles on auto should have a higher degrade than an MG on auto, cos ARs arent supposed to be fired Full auto all the time, but as you say the overall degrade rates should be very low, cos for barrels to get worn it takes for example in the case of the AR: 16 years or 20,000 rounds. This time can be reduced for in game balancing though but not to the point where it’s annoying.

1 Like

It should maybe jam or shoot slower but not degrade faster because many guns were made with the intent to use them in all kinds of terains.
Maybe with some guns like maybe a makshift gun which is made from iron only or something.

It does make sense to a point. Firearms, if not properly maintained, may lose accuracy and have stoppages more frequently. They may lose a bit more pressure. Some guns might lock up altogether.

That would get way to complicated, it’s better if you can just clean your gun like rdr2

1 Like

Yeah but in that case you dont need scrap just clean it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.