Would official servers promote pay to win?

Unless the servers were made by EA, or a chinese game dev team, then the vast majorit of P2W servers will be hosted by kids. And no matter how they mod the game, core game mechanics can’t be changed, so they have to deal with hardcore survival, which is what kids hate…

Mods could make things easier, but the amount of kids compared with 3.0’s population will be (hopefully) less, and thus the P2W servers will be less

However, in 4.0 (hopefully again) it will have a much bigger community due to the customization capabilities and malleablity, unlike 3.0 which has many issues with the foundation codes and is very stiff in regards to mods. So people are going to be focused on making fun mods because they have the capabilities instead of focusing on P2W which was one of the few mods kids could get that would benifit them

1 Like

Why would kids buy the official pass when they could buy the ranks on their youtubers “favorite” server that all the other kids are playing? I’m sure he’d love to get ahead of all his friends with one sweet purchase.

The vanilla servers you’re describing are the 3.x broken servers that feature no perms and as I said, suffer the same problems as one another. I’d be talking about Rocket servers that are ‘vanilla’ with no game changing plugins - which there isn’t many of. Though yes, there are many purely 100% vanilla servers - that are dead / empty partially because of, like I said, vanilla server systems being terrible (no autosave, no perms, what not) and 4.x will as you said, maybe fix these things and would popularize purely vanilla servers. may

Huge or small it really wouldn’t change which server we’d play

Our group does not officialy operate in Unturned due to the lack of suitable servers and the unfix-able game-breaking bugs and undetectable hackers that annoy all of us.

Other players do, and those are the people that matter. Even if they don’t realize why it matters they still would

Is it really the ‘game’ if groups are severely limited from playing on them? You aren’t getting the wholesome full Unturned 2 experience with no noobs, or large groups running around on the official servers. Surely you care about getting the full experience - meeting up with random new players, running, hiding, and overthrowing large groups?

“I’d much rather sacrifice the overall experience instead of providing the 100% full experience for everyone to enjoy” is what I translated personally.

Again, thats the Unturned experience. Personally you shouldn’t care if large groups dominate the server. They’ll have their natural limits in the game (diminishing returns for being way too large, not being able to adventure far out from their central base, etc). They of course will still be a force to be reckoned with, and again, it’s taking away from the experience by simply cutting them out of the game.

Every group member is my friend. It’s fun to play along and learn about my friends. I’m sure most group leaders and group members feel the same way about their fellow teammates. Isn’t that the point afterall?

Thats pretty contradictive to what I envision Unturned to be. I see it turning out to be more like Gmod than an actual survival game. Sure, that will clearly be the main point by the dev, but hopefully with so much modding potential entire community-made gamemodes will be possible. Since Offiical servers will never compete on these new gamemodes and only focus on survival then uh… yeah.

A lot of the more popular / successful ones from Minecraft, Rust, and Unturned 3.x are made by late teenagers or full on adults. It takes some smarts to deceive kids into buying a 300$ minecraft rank that lets you have god tier items.

Nothings really going to enforce that idea. Everyone keeps saying it but theres really nothing backing it up. Sure, the vanilla game will be hard. But again, the game will have incredible moding potential. nobody downloads gmod just to play sandbox - Theres tons of colorful gamemodes such as TTT, Murder, Homocide, Starwars RP, DarkRP, some other hateful crazy gamemode names. Even if entirely new gamemodes aren’t created, as evidenced by 3.x, there will always be servers providing the “easier” experience through kits and config edits. These are the servers that will attract all the kids, and theres gonna be a lot of kids.

Here’s my theory in regards to the last section of your comment. Unturned was fun, had a ton of players and servers active (vanilla included). But then after it being a gun fest with blood lusted kids running around, it began to die because there was nothing that could be done to it. The core mechanics are janky at best, the modding potential lackluster. That is what caused Unturned to die off slowly because it started to turn into something else than a survival game besides the fact that it’s too easy to be called a survival game.
But Unturned II is going to be better, because Nelson knew what the problem was with 3.0 and has avoided the issues along with many others. So with that in mind, and the fact that it’s going to be free with none of the “Gold Upgrade is P2W! omg! Nelson pls fix”

Plus, with Unturned II being a newly released game, YouTubers will start playing it, thus expanding the audience. Because PewDiePie, CinamonToastKen, Brad, and Jacksepticeye all played 2.0 (because it was the newly released version and didn’t bother with 3.0). So hopefully that’s not gonna be a problem. Maybe not these specific YouTubers, since PDP stopped playing games, but other well-known Youtubers will be enough.

In addition, the modding capabilities will skyrocket due to Unreal 4. So U II won’t die anytime soon after release. And hopefully that will cause more active users to actually enjoy the game than to milk money from it because it got boring.

Nothing can stop P2W servers in a sandbox game,but a good way to reduce that is to make the game itself fun rather than relying entirely on mods, which is what Nelson is trying to do

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.