Carcass shelter

Wait what, are you saying he skins the deer, and at the same time accidentally skins you?.. Wow… That’s…

Or well, accidentally kills you… Same thing

no i’m saying that the knife hits you when somebody starts skinning the deer

wait does the knife go vertically or horizontally when skinning

Then you die, and they realise there was a person in there. Then they think said deer ate said person then they panic.

Then they get eaten by a deer.

wait how the fuck does that work

so the person skinning the deer thinks the herbivore deer eats a human in which he believes was killed by the deer because the deer ate him and in panic walks up to a deer and lets a herbivore eat him

No, the deer god eats him afterwards for having skinned the kill of someone else.

Imagine a giant deer coming out of the earth and eating the guy

WTF has this turned to.

1 Like

In retrospect there are a lot of flaws in this system and I don’t think having it is really necessary when you could just make a campfire.

2 Likes

This is literally a good thing. Ditch 3.0 and all 3.0 thinking.

Stop being a brainlet, just read what TGYDK said it would literally just be a slit, no gore needed.

Stop strawmanning, no one said this. Rough patches of winter storms would probably only last up to 5 minutes

Which just doesnt work, the more violent a game is the more kids flood to it because of taboo.

Realism that negatively impacts gameplay. This doesn’t negatively impact gameplay.

Yes, he is completely correct.

He is implying that it is fairly tedious, but still not unfun, something that went over your head.

If you make a campfire, you would have to sit next to a campfire. If you seriously think Atom meant for this to be used for HOURS, which I know you arent, because you arent that unbelievably stupid, you are just making a strawman, but still. This mechanic would be used during snowstorms and other terrible things, where if you werent hiding in a deer you would either be sitting next to a campfire or hiding in a building.

Which is why this is a survival mechanic, something that gives you multiple choices and ways to approach the situation.

Or maybe you arent.

Its called a bobber but sure

Yes

Yes

Yes

I know, again, you are strawmanning, but seriously AJ, you would be able to do other things in the deer. Look out of the deer, watching out for turned/players sort your inventory while in the deer, read a book while in the deer, the list goes on and on. Also, the fun of being in the deer shouldn’t be forgotten, as you are a sitting duck and might not survive the snowstorm, as maybe the warmth wont last long enough, adding tension and by extension fun. If you dont think tension is fun, maybe survival games arent for you.

Thats not how that works but okay. If someone does that, now the deer you are in is skinned. Big whoop. The knife doesnt go very deep because all you are doing is removing the hide.

Why would we want turned if all they are going to do is kill us?

This limits your choices in survival and dumbs down gameplay. If campfires are the only “active” source of warmth innawoods then firestarters are no longer something that adds to gameplay, its just another thing to check off of a checklist. Think 3.0, where the checklist goes: Backpack for loot, chainsaw for zombies, gun for megas, and you win. It would be similar. Im forced to go into the forest and I dont have a firestarter?

Again you are all forgetting that this wouldnt be a one off addition, it would come with other survival mechanics, so it actually fits the game.

4 Likes

I’m not even gonna try to point out how you only chose certain things in my comments to prove your argument.

1 Like

I mean I did do most of it, do you want me to do the rest? Im waiting for my uber rn I have the time

Meh, I don’t care anymore.

Everyone more or less disagrees with me, and at this point I’m not going to be able to convince you guys this is a waste of time.

So yes, I give up, you win.

Anything I say people just use the same reasons and such.

BTW, when I said hours or ages, I was talking about maps that stay that cold the entire night.

Also, if you climb inside the animal, won’t that ruin the meat? So basically making your kill worthless?

Wait wait wait, what?

Read books? Reach inside your backpack/pockets? Inside of a deer? You want to get everything covered in blood? Also, how would you even see, or even manage to move enough to do those?

Fun? Nein.

I think by now this horse has been beaten around long past its lifespan. The problem that arises here isn’t the “choice” of having another form of warmth, it’s just that to have a mechanic such as this ingame would also divert resources from other mechanics at what seems to be a trivial matter.

Rather than having this system where you could slit open an animal and crawl inside it I believe a better and more suitable alternative would be to implement lean-tos and other shelters such as tents. Not to mention I’d like to believe that fire plows and drills will make it into the game so carrying firestarting tools is redundant.

1 Like

i hate this idea too, trust me dude. i just don’t like the idea that II should be family friendly and appeal to kids.

I think that if you have farm animals like cows, sheep, and animals like horses/dogs, you can stay in an animal barn for warmth

I’ve refrained from giving my opinion on the post thus far, as there has been a lot of discussion going on in the replies. I’ve read (or skimmed) most of the posts though.

On the gore side of things, I’m not super into it. However, considering U4 might have skinning animals as a game mechanic (in some form or another, and currently without any idea of how gore-y or non-gore-y it’ll be), this kinda makes sense as an extension of that mechanic.

Although I’m not entirely sure I want it, if it was added I’d be more in favor of it being with, as someone put it, “just a slit”. You don’t even need to depict any gore at all, it’d be just like stretching the sides of the deer model out a bit (which would still be kinda weird to think about, but is far less gore-y).

Why not the gore-y version? Gore just isn’t the reason Unturned appeals to me. Other games, sure, but for Unturned I think it’d flow better with the rest of the game as just a “slit”. If sanity is added to the game, then this is something that should probably kill your sanity quite a hefty amount.

But on the flip side, I’m pretty cool with this just not being a thing at all. :man_shrugging: Hence my lack of voting in polls.

Just a reminder to keep it civil, as people are going to disagree with each other considering this is a discussion-oriented site.

1 Like

making a temporary shelter with sticks and hide from a skinned animal would be a way better idea imo, to protect from cold, heat, and wild animals/zombies/etc.

@everyone again, I brought this up assuming that campfires won’t be everything-proof Infinite fire sources, which leads to the fact that a fire in the open wouldn’t survive a blizzard. Low tier improvised shelters and tents may not resist either if the storm is too strong, and also I assume that there’ll be building times rather than insta-placing, so if you’re not ready in time you could be negatively affected by cold or directly freezing while building, so you’d be screwed.

Pelting the animal would be very effective, but it should take longer, and the hide would protect from cold but in a minor grade, since these are designed just as cover to not let own body heat out, and couldn’t be enough against strong freezing winds. Then if you decide to pelt the animal during storm you’ll be more protected but still taking your chances against it, since no (normal and non-fictional) piece on clothing can protect you from strong winter winds and getting covered or buried in snow.

And over again… Yes, this is a mean for extreme situations, on which you hadn’t set or found a proper shelter in time and blizzard/sandstorm gets you on low guard in middle of the wild. Storms should be predictable and not sort of a random event, so anyone with knowledge enough could get ready in time and properly, since I actually didn’t mean that I want everyone to hide in deers as the only alternative either.

In general terms, I’d prefer to have the option available. And also, this can be made gore free, which I’d be okay with. I found ridiculous that in UII we’ll probably be able to make animal head trophies and hats, hide and leather clothing and gear, get many different cuts and slits from animal parts to cook and eat… And all that sorts of stuff, but I’d feel I’m missing something if I say you couldn’t take advantage of an animal like this if I know it’s possible IRL and it’s an actual survival technique.

2 Likes

Hmmm, if you put it that way, then it could work.

I’m cool with having makeshift clothing made out of animal skin (like the craftable leather outfit in U3), but that’s about the limit of where “gore” should be taken, in my opinion.

It’s a game about survival. Grow a spine.

1 Like