Simplicity

I think Nelson won’t allow that. He’s probably gonna differentiate 7.62 NATO and Russian 7.62 somehow, in order to help with game balance. Perhaps “7.62 Military/Mil” and “7.62 Ranger”
I get that LMGs like the PKM use a different round - 7.62x54mmR - instead of using 7.62x39 like normal AKMs and the like use, but I don’t think anyone would really complain if the two round types were simplified into one round. I do think there would be an issue if there was only one kind of 7.62 in the entire game, though.

I think that overall, it would be kinda silly if ranger weapons took the same ammo as military weapons, but I would definitely be ok with there only being a military and then a ranger/russian counterpart for 7.62 ammo types.

(WOULD ALSO BE SILLY IF THEY USED BOTH MILITARY AND RANGER MAGS COUGH COUGH AUG/FUSI/NIGHTRAIDER)

I’d say ammo names should be two part. First is the nominal bullet diameter. Second is the cartridge name. If the player is using metric, the bullet diameter should be in millimeters. If the player is using Imperial, the bullet diameter should be it’s caliber. (.50 caliber = 1/2 inch)
For example: 5.56×45mm ammo would in metric be 5.56 NATO and in imperial would be .223 NATO.
I disagree that 7.62 rimmed and 7.62 Warsaw/Ranger should be in the same category, since their dimensions are more different from eachother than they are from 7.62 NATO.

1 Like

I do like how simple 2.0 was but realism is something new to unturned, feels like realism is the right thing for 4.x

I know, I just hope it does not become a cluster fest.

Like he truly utilizes weapons that share common ammo pools.

Like have decent chunk of weapons use 9mm and such.I want there to be like 20 different pistols and like 8 different ammos for all of them. Not like 15.

I hope you understand what I’m saying.

For the sake of balance though, it’d be better for PK-based weapons to take the same ammo as AK-based weapons. NATO LMGs will be using the same round as NATO assault rifles so I don’t see why this should be different for Russian-based.

Battle rifles and general purpose machine guns use 7.62×54 millimeter rimmed or 7.62×51 millimeter NATO. Assault rifles and squad/section automatic weapons use 5.56×45 millimeter NATO, 7.62×39 millimeter Warsaw or 5.45×39 millimeter Warsaw. PK machine guns don’t use intermediate caliber cartridges and shouldn’t be balanced as such. If you want a Russian machine gun that fires an intermediate cartridge, you should use an RPK instead. If you want to combine all intermediate cartridges or full powered rifle cartridges, that might make some sense, but grouping cartridges by their country of origin just seems really arbitrary.

3 Likes

Kudos for having the M1895 at the top of your list

IMHO, weapon damage should mainly be based on the type of round you chamber into it, with the length and condition of the barrel being a factor in the damage, range, and accuracy.

2 Likes

Well I would be fine with a few pistol calibers like: 9mm, 45acp, .40, 50AE, etc (the most common ammunition)
Then same goes for rifles: 7.62, 5.56, 308, .50, 338 lapua…
But I also think we should have upgrade kits for weapons (change reciever on ar 15 to .300 blackout for more damage but much rarer bullets or .50 beowulf)
Also having more ammunition types makes it harder to find ammo for your current gun, thus making you question yourself if you want to waste bullets on a bambi or a zombie.

https://blog.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned-4-x-devlog-005/
I believe that the idea of changing receivers was touched on in this post, and is basically confirmed.

Yeh I know

wouldn’t the barrel need changing too?

As long as he truly utilizes common ammo pools I’ll be fine.

Also I like the changing ammo idea, might need some caps on it.

(Matamorez useing grizzly ammo anyone?)

what if there was an option in settings to switch from complex names like STANAG to simple names. It would be nice for both sides. simple yet complex.

Although this might bring even more confusion when trying communicate ammo types.

Just a suggestion tho.

it would be : VSS Vintorez using 50.cal then wich is stupid since the vintorez(mata) is a subsonic sniper turned into a shitty makeshift as val in the game.

I think a good way to limit the customization of guns would be that you can’t adapt weapons to completely different cartridges, just to necked down versions of their regular cartridge. You would adapt a firearm by giving it a different caliber barrel. Variants of a weapon that are chambered in completely different cartridges should be treated as separate weapons. The style of names I suggested earlier in this thread (bullet diameter and cartridge name ie: 5.56 NATO) would still work, but each cartridge would need a unique name because the bullet diameter could change. In addition, the cartridge names should probably avoid numbers (to avoid confusion) and trademarked names (for obvious reasons.)

That’s why I said caps

A Matamorez with a extended clip destroys a tank in moments (as in four seconds).

Add in that ammo, tank be even more dead.

Probualy take twice as long (use grizzly clip? I dunno), but hey! Cheaper!

In 4.0 small arms should not do any damage to heavily armored vehicles. A 50 cal would need precise shots to critical spots of a tank to disable it (not fully destroy)

That really depends on the armor that the vehicle has. (And hopefully vehicle damage will be more modular, so just repeatedly shooting the door doesn’t magically make a car explode.)

Cars should not explode unless you hit gas tanks IMO
Also lets say a btr would not take damage by driving over fences,zombies etc but a normal civillian car would take damage.