2 Tier swear filter

I think it would be worth considering if the game could have a 2 Tier swear filter.

A normal swear filter that acts the same as the current one but fleshed out a bit as the current one does not cover many versions of the current words (by versions I mean stuff like "$h1t" instead of "shit") id also like to say that I have nothing against swearing for this, just that for it should be more comprehensive for people who don't want to see swearing, even if a two tier swear filter is not added, updating the current one would be good for those people.

and the “extra big bad words” Tier, This one can not be disabled and would be hardcoded into the game and servers so it can NOT be bypassed, it would be saved EXCLUSIVELY for vile things (such as the N Word and other slurs). Letting people be racist in game only drives off people who think slurs are not ok, and makes racists feel more comfortable in game.

Having this would also encourage more people to stream the game more comfortably on platforms like twitch with less worry about being banned for some one elses actions.

edit: I was not aware of how the newer filter worked, however, I still think there are benefits to the second tier filter as the N world really has no place in a game full of children.

3 Likes

Yeah sure, absolutely.

Nah, those are options that should be client or maybe server side, but not “Nelson side”.

Streamer mode could be changed to include your proposed T2 filter or just blank chat.

3 Likes

Unturned uses Steam chat filtering, so you can configure it to make it more strong.

Here is the link how to do that

4 Likes

I think for what Nick is suggesting (being repulsive slurs) it’s not bad to have a filter always on them, especially with how many times I’ve seen the n-word thrown around on pubs. I think for the sake of flexibility it should not be comprehensive, but at least having vile things blocked would be nice.

Another option would be on by default.

3 Likes

i honestly agree that there should be one since i meet a lot of young players in this game

2 Likes

This is correct. A bit tangential, but the game used to use a custom profanity filter which was customizable from the game files, but at some point Unturned switched to using Steam’s profanity filter because it’s better for performance and covers more languages/words (depending on the language you have Steam set to use).

EDIT: you could toggle the old filter with the -NoSteamTextFiltering launch option and customize it, but configuring your Steam account’s content preferences for chat filtering is better.

Why not? What benefit is there to saying the N Word in a game full of children?

2 Likes

libertarian

1 Like

What benefit is there to Nelson deciding what people can and cannot do on their server?
I’d wager most popular servers (the ones largely populated by kids, more so than some random dudes server anyway) would very much implement the T2, optional or not. Hell, enable it by default and give people the ability to opt via a little popup or a message in the main menu. Doesn’t change the fact that I think this (alongside pretty much any other config option) should be server-side.

1 Like

You side stepped his question. Feels like an admission that you don’t have a counter argument for nicks last reply.

2 Likes

This isn’t about benefit or no benefit, this is about me not liking other people to dictate how servers are run. Seems like you missed the point.

1 Like

no, it should be client side and server side so it can not be circumvented easily, the client should refuse to send or receive and so should the servers.

This is about making the game better, and and some updates will be controversial, but needed in hindsight.

1 Like

No, this is about what you think makes the game better. By all means give people a option to filter that, hell maybe enable it by default. I don’t think a filter like that should be forced. If you are on a private server with your mates I’d say spicy banter should be a-okay. On public servers with randoms on it no obviously not. That is not a choice Nelson needs to make tho, thats individual servers/clients.

1 Like

that would be an okish idea to
I think it would be best if it was done similar to how 3rd person recoil was handled so that servers would not just knee-jerk disable it

I still would greatly prefer it was mandatory, but an optional one would be better then nothing. I still think racism shouldn’t be in the community at all

no guys you see banning the n word is actually a big hinderance to the community as a whole trust me guys

is the spicy banter in the room with us right now?

2 Likes

That sounds reasonable enough.

It is still not (what you perceive as the best for) the community, it is about people being able to run servers the way they want.

1 Like

If people running servers the way they want is to allow actual unadulterated racism and toxicity then this community has a massive problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.