4.0 TTT Gamemode - [MAP CREATORS AND CODERS WANTED]

The TTT gamemode comes standard with gmod. That’s why you dont download it.

It might be possible to develop an entirely server-side mod. However, I’d assume that it’s more likely you’ll need to use the Workshop unless you want people to manually download it through a third-party site.

I’d imagine that some people would accuse you of being selfish. Probably the people just wanting to play TTT, more so than other server hosters. That is, up until someone else just makes their own TTT mod and allows for its public use.

A bit of an oversimplification, but reuploading somebody’s mod infringes on the rights of the original uploader. If people were to reupload the original mod, they’re infringing on the OP’s rights.

DMCA takedowns. You’re responsible for doing something or doing nothing.

1 Like

More or less, nope. If you want your custom server game-mode to run, you need to download the files of said custom game-mode onto the computer of those joining the server. And said files need to be readable by the game engine, and the similar; as of such, they can’t be encrypted, and more or less the whole package needs to be downloaded. Even if they were Unreal-Engine specific files, it’d still be entirely possible to view their contents via a wide variety of external programs. More or less, the instant someone joined your server, you would have already made your gamemode available to the public. Short of a direct modification to the game encrypting the files downloaded, which would most likely obfuscate to an extreme degree the process of a host sending files to a client, increase load times to an extreme degree, and be entirely irrelevant as soon as the first program comes out to de-crypt the files.

Now, you might be thinking: “But wait a second… couldn’t you just DMCA any rip-offs of the code and be done with it?” Sure, you could, but that stops nothing. Anyone with a basic knowledge of C++ could just modify the files to a point where it’s unclear who actually created it, and even then; TTT is a popular gmod gamemode, and the format is pretty clear; if someone switched around the GUI elements for it, you could very well claim that it’s entirely original; after all, the idea’s been out there for a while.

Now, of course, if you were really determined, you could bypass these limits. There’s all sorts of things you could do to determine if someone had stolen your code; if you had enough time, it’d be possible to manually take down the servers by joining each and every one of them and scanning their downloaded files for any traces of your work. You could them DMCA them… but wait a second.

DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Key word, copyright. Unless you’ve gone and filed a full copyright for your code, there is nothing that you can do, legally to prevent them from hosting a server with said code. So, more or less, the instant any copy of your code gets out there, your entire goal of making it a private gamemode is more or less undone, and permanently.
Edit: Turns out, I don’t know copyright law very well. Still; you can’t really takedown an owner of a server running stolen code without a law-suit, as the server host is in no way under steam’s jurisdiction.

And the entire time, I’ve not even mentioned the possibility of someone just making their own version of TTT. That is entirely possible. And think about it; what version would new server owners use? Even if your servers are less “greedy” and “cringy”, you can’t beat volume. Plus, someone could just host a server run on the same lines as yours, but using their own version of TTT. But there wouldn’t really be a limit to p2w or similar servers; more or less, your entire vision could become undone, and in quite a spectacular way.

So, this all sounds pretty bad. More likely than not, your original vision will collapse in on itself in any number of ways. Someone could steal the code, via decompiling what they’ve downloaded off the server, or via internal leaks, and host their own server with absolutely zero you could do against it; or, someone could just make their own version of TTT, drowning out your servers with the sheer volume of servers that would be able to host it.

There is, however, better alternative. Instead of just locking down the gamemode, and providing any number of motives for those that have the skills to carry them through, why not just make it open for public use, but include a disclaimer on how it would be run? Sure, not everyone would abide by it, but would having some measure of control over the TTT servers not be better than having strict control over a small handful of servers with the rest of the servers going entirely unregulated?

1 Like

Why tho? Shouldn’t it be public?

I can see why, but how does that add up with your personal beliefs ( communism to be exact)?

I’d share it under license, a non-profit one for exmample.

DMCA exists.

Simple really, add (more) game-mode options.

Already a thing in 3.X so I really don’t see why that would not make its way into II.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure 3.0 plugins don’t get ‘sent over’.

DMCA takedown a server? That doesn’t sound realistic. Or possible. Or anything.

I dont have doubts for-profit servers would just copy the entire idea, create it themselves, to profit for themselves. I’ve seen server franchises do this plenty of times stealing eachothers content, so I’m more than understanding it will happen eventually if someone is determined enough to do it.

I’d still like to keep the gamemode as fun and fair as possible before someone can do that. People can enjoy the early days before capitalists swarm in and do what they do best.

doesn’t seem very selfish to protect people from unfair or abusive servers.

Then they could play the servers :slight_smile:. The more the merrier, usually. And if people dont like big servers, we could of course run a ton of small 4 slot servers for people to play on in groups.

1 Like

They are infringing on your copyright. The hosters literally have to take it down. Hell, most if not all of them do not even operate under safe harbour protection. Contact the adress listed in the whois, that is what it’s for.

I meant DMCA takedown of the reuploaded mod, but you could DMCA takedown the server.

Assuming they have the mod on server-side, you couldn’t possibly DMCA takedown it. 3.0 servers let you run mods on the server-side without Steam Workshop involved.

I was talking to Trojaner and he said you could report abuse to the ISP, at which the ISP would give the information of the IP for someone like me to sue or something. But that sounds lengthy and long and if this theoretical plugin/gamemode were ever leaked tons of servers would pop up everyday, and it would just be a legal nightmare.

You asked what you could do, if anything, and that’s what you can do (beyond just directly getting in contact with someone and politely asking them to stop).

If you’re not willing to pursue such options, or find yourself in a scenario where that’s just not a realistic solution (due to time/cost), then people will just enjoy it on more servers.

It doesn’t matter if something is being down for an objectively good reason, some people are going to be upset about it. Lack of choice in servers, forced to play on specific servers just for Unturned TTT, network exclusivity, etc.

I think whatever you choose to do with the mod is your prerogative, and I’m sure a fair amount of people would agree on that—just not everyone. There’s definitely reasons why people wouldn’t acknowledge your reasoning as selfless, even if it objectively was.

I’d magine that public versions would just be better supported by the community though. Not in terms of reputation, per se, but in add-ons and other such things.

1 Like

How have I ever seen this post before until now.

Well if its a leak, I take action. If someone made their own version thats essentially just the same thing, but not a copy of the code, I’d just make my code public (so long as theirs isnt a jank buggy nightmare) and then they wasted their time, unless of course their entire goal was to push me to make mine public.

Yeah, sure, not 3.0 plugins, but TTT is a different story. 3.0 plugins are usually run entirely serverside. For example, Uconomy (and most rocket plugins) don’t require anything to be downloaded client-side in the slightest; at the end of things, they’re just really complex commands. However, for plugins that do display something for the client, i.e a money counter or something similar, the content does get downloaded. Not the whole thing, mind you; the scripts do remain serverside, as there’s no need for the client to download them for it to function; but quite a bit does get downloaded. TTT, meanwhile, has tons of stuff that the client needs to display. Traitor/Detective UI, custom weapons, etc. Sure, some things might be able to stay serverside, but more or less unless you want your entire gamemode being more reminiscent of a text adventure rather than a first-person shooter, you are going to need a download a lot of stuff onto the client. Plus, even if you went to great lengths to ensure that only the bare minimum of content is downloaded clientside, it’d most likely not be very functional/be very CPU-intensive due to the fact that you are basically splitting the gamemode in two and requiring the code to constantly bridge a gap whenever it wants to do something.

And this is all assuming II has remotely the same server structure as 3.

TL;DR: Things aren’t really going to work that way.

1 Like

I know this. But really, if 4.0 is gonna be better than 3.0 then 4.0 will have built in functions for images to appear on screen, say, as soon as you connect to a server, your client will ask for custom menus and images to be displayed on HUD, which then images could be retrieved from Imgur, and menus could be provided by the server. This way 4.0 by default can handle basic GUI menus sent by the server for things like TTT, kits, MOTD, or etc. And that way, servers can easily add watermarks to their server, such in the case of Unturned.rocks

Even if Nelson doesn’t add that, all the player would have to handle on their side is HUD/GUI. That doesn’t offer the entire gamemode, and the code that actually runs everything from who is traitor, or karma, or etc would all be ran by the server. So anything that a client connecting to the server would have is purely client data.

Well of course the weapons. I don’t really care if the weapons get used. I have some interesting ideas for Traitor weapons, too! :smiley: If you have any suggestions, then go ahead.

I dont see this as taxing on the computer at all. I spawn in as innocent, which the server handles. I have a HUD that explains I’m innocent, which is just a graphic on my end. I might have a custom health indicator reminiscent of TTT’s Health bar, which is just a custom Health graphic. I identify a body, it pulls up a graphic, and the server sends the info of what should be on that graphic (Such as what killed him, when, etc).

I shoot a traitor, he dies, I identify his body. I kill another and a graphic displaying that “Innocents win” pops up. This doesn’t sound very demanding, and thinking about it like this, theres no “bridge” and this is much more of a “one-way street” of the server sending the necessary information. The only information being sent back, is the vanilla Unturned info of movement, location, angles, weapons, items, etc. The only data really sent back (asfar as I can think of) is sending data that someone has ID’d a body, and needs info back about the body.

So that doesn’t sound taxing at all.

SPEAKING of the karma system. I heavily dislike the Karma system in vanilla gmod TTT. If someone shoots at a person, and you kill them for that, you get negative karma because the system does not include multiple people, just you vs them (then, at which it appears you blatantly KOS’d them).

I’m hoping this can be addressed and a better system for Karma to take account of more events and actions done by players to more accurately give or take Karma from players. If you dont know about TTT Karma, you get negative Karma for KOSing, and positive Karma for either killing nobody, or successfully killing Traitors. People with negative Karma are most often given reduced weapon damage as a punishment.

Also, Gmod’s TTT allows you to have tons of custom settings. The default settings has three roles (Innocent, Traitor, Detective) and out of 8 players 2/8 are Traitors, 1/8 are Detective, and the remaining 5/8 are innocent. Custom settings allow you to create or remove roles, edit chance values, and more, and I hope I we could implement this in a very cool way to allow for special roles, or plain silly villainous roles.

There’s just one small issue here. You’re talking as if this is in the first person, and focused solely around you. There’s going to be a lot more than one player on this server, and depending on how well the code is constructed, that can get rather taxing pretty fast.

For the server, maybe. But adding more players wont tax the individual client anymore than being on a server alone. I think if its well coded, it wouldn’t be very bad at all. If anything, the worst taxing would be the Karma system keeping track of who did what and who to punish or reward. Beyond that, basic things dont seem too bad.

If there can be 50+ player Gmod servers running TTT with low ping little lag, then Unturned 4.0 should be able to do it too.image

Speaking of expectations, if Halo 3 can have Replays, then 4.0 should be able, too.

Shameless idea advert. It would go very cool with TTT, Arena, Survival, really the whole game.

EDIT: And if the karma system is too hard to code or too taxing, we could either keep it very simple or just not have it at all.

Hey @dbking has there been anymore progress? Would you mind if I added you on Discord?

actually nevermind, I’ll just create a discord for this project.

PixelTail Games did it.
They DMCA’d rehosts of GMod Tower.
Then again it is their intellectual property and not a reiteration of another.

But for Unturned II? Who knows. Unless UII EULA specifies mod restrictions, there is no concrete answer yet.

1 Like

Yeah I know. I play Tower Unite.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.