A warning against 'The Paywall'

I’m talking about what @KingFrog is talking about, not direct payment to server owners for renting them out through Steam.

3 Likes

oh.

oh…

Ok. Well what does that have to do with anything? One-click P2P server setup seems cool, but how is that relevant?

2 Likes

Would still lower the amount of servers, fair (official) or maybe not fair (normal)

If I held my hand up it would be pointless, but it will still be up. Whats the point?

3 Likes

Here we go again the same topic as always.

Its very clear to me that after many wonderful community members like @Wakko @anon67155151 @GreatHeroJ (Edit: and many others, too many to mention) all presented compelling arguments, your thought process for this opinion is flawed. Not only that but I believe your opinion on this topic cannot be changed no matter the lack of evidence there is for your opinion.

It seems to me that the reason you are so against official servers, is that official servers will stifle the demand for the Vanilla (or semi-vanilla) server network that you currently run and plan to run in Unturned II. Furthermore your topics are always filled with unsubstantiated claims, which have no evidence and are largely hyperbole.

All of these over reaching statements with no evidence, its all speculation and conjecture based off of your highly biased opinion. Give me a shred of evidence for Official servers causing pay to win in ANY survival game. DayZ doesn’t have this problem. Rust doesn’t have this problem. Miscreated doesn’t have this problem.

Thanks to you awesome community members for trying to make valid arguments against this, but save your time, his opinion cannot be swayed.

24 Likes

LOL. You think I created this post in self-interest for my franchise? I wouldn’t even be running one single server if 3.0’s server-list was great. I’m only here to fill the void of relaxed, non-abusive, non-p2w, non-rented servers until one big change comes along, whether in the form of Official Servers or Server-List Quality Control.

Its laughable to think that I made this to defend my franchise, when the entire post was created (And, bear in mind every other meta post I’ve created regarding servers) because I care about the well-being of the community and health of the server-list.

To you, maybe. To me, not. I suppose I’m not all that great at conveying my point or idea, that doesn’t exactly mean the thought process leading up to my logical conclusion was wrong or inherently flawed.

Do you have counter-evidence?

Do you have a better answer to the paywall?

Sure, anyone can bash on my critique, but do you have a better way to go about it? Everything I’ve claimed or assumed was based on educated, well-made guesses that are derived from almost 7,000 hours of game time and plenty of external time and thought running servers, running groups, websites, meetings, and so on about the game.

To think that you, someone with way less hours coming at me like this, not having enough respect to even call my argument valid, is rude, disrespectful and unproductive to the discussion at hand.

This is classic Ad Hominem at its finest.

Can you list a single, popular survival game where the game is free or paid for, but you must then pay for DLC to play official servers?

Asfar as I know, DayZ does not do this. You pay for DayZ, you play Official Servers.

I own and have played Rust. Rust does not do this. You pay for Rust, and have access to Official Servers.

That is irrelevent to the topic at hand. If you want to talk about Official Servers causing P2W, theres a place to talk about it, this post is not that place.

3 Likes

Sure, anyone can bash on my critique, but do you have a better way to go about it? Everything I’ve claimed or assumed was based on educated, well-made guesses that are derived from almost 7,000 hours of game time and plenty of external time and thought running servers, running groups, websites, meetings, and so on about the game.

To think that you, someone with way less hours coming at me like this, not having enough respect to even call my argument valid, is rude, disrespectful and unproductive to the discussion at hand.

hey rain have you heard about the genetic logical fallacy

13 Likes

wh…
what?
you…
what?
you just made an entire argument about how official servers cause p2w and then said that your post wasn’t a place to talk about it?

16 Likes

I think your past and activities (like all people) influence your opinions.

That is not how arguments work @RainOfPain125. You made a claim, you need to provide evidence to back-up your claim.

There is a concept called Hitchens’s razor which says basically this: " *What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence "

Quoted from here: Hitchens's razor - Wikipedia

Basically it means the burden of evidence is on the person making the claim.

I don’t have to have an answer to the pay-wall. I think having pay to join official servers is fine. I haven’t been presented any evidence to the contrary.

An Ad Hominem is this:
“arguement is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.”

Which is not what I have done. I want more evidence from your position, and you have not provided any.

The closest thing I can think of are Unturned Gold servers. Which I played on back in the day, and I don’t recall them suffering from any of the issues you have listed above.

22 Likes

Jumping into this mess but did anyone else experience the issues I saw?

1 Like

iirc gold servers got removed, not sure though

Wont bother with any of that distasteful thinking, however

Did you ever consider, that, back in the day Gold was a unique difficulty that had 2x loot and 2x EXP.

Its dead now, because of course any server can do crazy loot configs and so fourth, which doesn’t make Gold servers unique in any way. Gold servers are also dead now, because nobody plays on them - almost foreshadowing what will be of Official Servers in Unturned II.

4 Likes

The claim that their wouldn’t be enough demand to keep more than one server running could apply to gold servers, however, gold servers didn’t actually have any incentive to be gold servers, whereas official servers will be funded by the official pass.

12 Likes

“he makes a good argument so i’ll just ignore it”

24 Likes

What distasteful thinking? I am only using sound logic, avoiding any fallacies.

Harvest is right on the money here in regards to why Gold servers did not succeed.

12 Likes

Flat Earthers, despite having access to untold amounts of evidence that supports the fact that they’re wrong and that the Earth isn’t flat, will continue to deny any and all pieces of evidence. I believe we are seeing a similar case here.

10 Likes

:upside_down_face: So Nelson is ‘incentivized’ to run Official Servers because… they’ll pay for themselves? Does that make any sense? A community server could do the same exact thing. It isn’t much of an incentive. In both scenarios the Hoster does so for the community. Why would Nelson be any different?

3 Likes

isn’t that the business model of every fucking paid server company to exist

11 Likes

I haven’t heard of a server that you have to pay to get into that’s run by a community member, can you give an example?

1 Like

He is a developer. Is is highly common for developers to host servers, often times they are free to join, so I don’t think you need to consider monetary incentive here.

Edit: DayZ, Rust, H1Z1… etc

2 Likes