Airguns in Unturned II

Another glorified weapon suggestion post in a topic that’s rarely ever mentioned. All jokes aside, airguns are rarely, if ever seen in games at all. The one exception I can happen to think of is the Tikhar from Metro. Anyways, enjoy, long post so must be good, yada yada yada.

So before I launch into the meat and potatoes and to make my post seem longer than it actually is, we first need to explore why airguns have any type of value in the first place. Most notably, airguns are quiet, almost to the point of being integrally suppressed, and their ammunition is relatively easy to manufacture and craft compared to firearm cartridges. The best airguns can achieve well over 1000 ft/s (304 m/s) of energy, which is comparable to small pistol cartridges, and are extremely accurate…within their range.

The most glaring problem with airguns is their limited range and how fast that muzzle energy dissipates and becomes harmless. Most airguns have a maximum effective range of only around 50 yards, and even the best only have a lethal range of around 100 yards. Pellets are also light and can encounter heavy turbulence when breaking the sound barrier, which is why even airguns manufactured for hunting are limited to about 800 ft/s (270 m/s). Note that any kind of armor would render airguns almost entirely useless.

Based on this information, airguns in Unturned II would be limited to the following roles:

• Allowing players to practice shooting without expending too much resources.
  • Hunting of small game, and even larger animals up to and including deer.
  • As a quiet, pistol damage (think two to three headshots) weapon for eliminating Turned and possibly as a entry-level weapon against players.

Ammunition for airguns ranges from .177-caliber to even .50-caliber. For the sake of standarization, pellets should be either .25-caliber (6.35mm) or .30-caliber (7.62mm). As expected, pellets should be easily craftable and require only metal such as lead and a workbench or a furnace and a mold.

A small subcategory of airguns worth mentioning is the airbow, which is an airgun made to fire arrows with enough force to rival crossbows.

As for power, most airguns are split between two main categories: spring-piston and pneumatic. Spring-piston airguns are then further divided into break-action ones and those who use an external cocking lever. Pneumatic airguns can also be divided into those that use a lever to fill the reservoir, and those that have a pre-filled detachable reservoir. The latter could possibly utilize air compressors or diving tanks as propellant.

On a further note, I feel that due to the power difference the only airguns worth considering in UII are rifles and carbines, as pistols simply do not have enough power to have consistent lethality. Between the different variants I’d at least like to see a break action single shot air rifle and another one that’s repeating and pneumatic, possibly craftable like the Tikhar, as well as an airbow. Anyways, yeah. That’s it. Hope you enjoyed reading this relative waste of time as much as I did researching it and typing it up.

4 Likes

why not.

Also, if the railgun is readded, can it please not be so stupidly loud, (Or damaging)

Its a gun which uses magnets to launch stuff, not an explosive.

Or it could be the rails going faster than the speed of sound, which doesnt make sense in itself, at least, with the length of the gun it doesnt.

ahh finally a longer and juicier post, I love it

I think makeshift airguns using .50 cal steel ball bearings (Which is what he means by “Tikhar” like in the Metro video game series) that also could be used in regular crafting for tooling/machinery or even used to make shotgun shells seems more reasonnable than a wide array of airguns that aren’t exactly useful where they could should be. Although, I wouldn’t be against a single hand-powered pneumatic .177 airgun to hunt small animals with silently.

3 Likes

While railgun technology is real, the Shadowstalker isn’t in any way. With the same argument that it shouldn’t be explosive (though it basically behaves like one due to the sheer force dissipated), it also shouldn’t be man-portable either, due to no railgun of such size ever existing. In reality the only remote possibility of a railgun in UII should definitely be limited to a mounted/vehicle purpose.

tl;dr: I’d rather not see the Shadowstalker return to UII at all, and if it did, the “railgun realism” argument is already out the window anyways.

Also on the topic of OP, I basically 100% agree with what tgydk said.

1 Like

you’d probably find air guns at camps and farms and use them to shoot noobs, so that’d be fun

also for an America map where you can sit in the back of a truck with it and shoot at passing wildlife and players

something something danaby quote

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.