Ammo calibers and how Nelson wants to improve the survival aspect of the game

If you change the entire receiver, it’s basically a different weapon.

Edit: Also the type 56 is a Chinese AK-47/AKM hybrid.

That’s the thing though - the receiver is more or less the bare bones of the weapon itself.

Either way the original point is, Nelson would have no reason to force the 4.0 Zubeknakov to take 5.56 ammunition.

1 Like

I would hope that all the guns can eventually be chambered in a variety of cartridges. If the functionality is there why waste it?

Yeah, and which ones use STANAG magazines? Oh, none of them? Then your point is entirely null.

1 Like

Oh where’d you find that they don’t use STANAG magazines? Like I said I couldn’t find good information on them.

The ones that I could find information on (the more modern ones) do not, and since there’s no evidence to say the other ones took STANAGs, the default assumption is that they don’t.

The burden of proof is on you to prove that any of them take STANAGs. Happy hunting.

1 Like

The G3 doesn’t feed from STANAG magazines, but the Chimera can.

Yeah, and most people agree that it’s fucking stupid. What the hell’s your point?

1 Like

All of them are either copies or variants of the basic AKM/AK-74 platform, and all of them use the standard AK magazine well, which, I don’t know if you know, but STANAG magazines don’t fit in them, nor do AK magazines fit in M4 magwells.

2 Likes

And the point of the 4.x ammo system is to entirely get rid of things like that.

3 Likes

Woah, no need to get hostile
Also that’s subjective, unprovable, and a bit of a low blow.

tone policing out of ten

1 Like

Somebody’s encouraging lazy work habits?

Besides using placeholder calibres is a terrible idea. There’s no reason to do that other than ‘Creativity’ or as said as a placeholder, even though it only takes a few lines to create a new calibre.

4 Likes

The Zubeknakov will probably not be available in the earliest version of 4.X we have access to. I’m suggesting that at some point during the prerelease, Nelson could make a 5.56×45 mm version of it, to play around with before adding 5.45×39 mm or 7.62×39 mm versions. I still don’t see any problems with that.

What puzzles me is that you haven’t explain why he needs to do that. I’ve given 2 possible reasons, and I assume it’s for placeholding purposes.

Still I don’t see the harm of giving it the gun’s intended calibre

1 Like

Or he could stick to his current work ethics and add it when the entire system is complete so every 12 year old and their mother aren’t shitting themselves over a ‘more realistic’ game making an AK take an improper ammunition type.

A fully realistic AK could still be implemented by the time of full release. I’m hoping Nelson will take his time and balance each new cartridge, and each of the types of ammunition for that cartridge.

Balancing reasons? What’s to balance with a non-existant calibre that hasn’t been added to the AK?

Isn’t it the opposite of the balancing process? Trial the new calibre feature out, readjust it and the AK + calibre will be a perfect soviet rifle. Not giving it a placeholder and theorycrafting what the calibre should do in his secret test build, because that’s not allowing people to give feedback

I’m sure Nelson is nice enough to give us the most iconic rifle in its original form without giving it some strange pre-release modification

3 Likes

5.56 out of an AK would perform almost exactly the same as 5.56 out of an AR, provided they have similar barrels.
I highly doubt it would only take a few lines of code to add a new cartridge, different variants of that cartridge, and magazine, and have each of those realistic, and balanced compared to eachother, and their 5.56 counterparts.
Although no matter what you could claim it’s just a few lines since that measurement that keeps getting brought up is entirely subjective.

I’m afraid I can’t continue this discussion if you keep telling me “AK with 5.56 should be fine”. Didn’t answer my question properly. Also did you know that people are highly against carbon copies of existing guns, so being ‘Identical’ is a terrible game design.

Workload isn’t even an issue when it comes to calibres. You said it yourself, he should take his time but you want him to do the lazy way (Double standards?), plus you can’t balance something that hasn’t been trialled publicly.

Either way, I don’t see why he shouldn’t add the original calibre. That’s the question people are telling you, but instead you speak capitalist propaganda, the Soviets don’t like it, and they are highly offended right now with how you’re ruining their rifle for no good reason

3 Likes