Base Building | Building Tiers

Have you seen Nelson’s 4.0 plans? They are increasingly detailed and realistic. Practical and realistic are basically synonymous.

1 Like

clears throat

practical - “adapted or adaptable for use”

realistic - “resembling or simulating real life”

I’d love to know where your definitions come from, because actually,
Practical
of or concerned with the actual doing or use of something rather than with theory and ideas.
Realistic
having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

One is literally part of the others definition.

click this for text

Let’s not let this thread devolve into what definition is “correct” though. There are multiple definitions for stuff. In some situations the two words could be interchangeable, in some situations they can’t. It depends on the context.

Sirba was saying that, basically put, the game is not 100% 1:1 replicating real-life. That is the basic idea of his reply. I am inclined to agree with that, even for Unturned 4.x. The game is not striving to replicate real-life through tremendous amounts of technicalities. There are things that the game wants to make more “realistic” because of large community support for it, or because it improves gameplay, but it’s not innately reaching for it just for the realism. Realism is good for the game when it enhances the gameplay for people, and not everything will do that.

Fortunately, as far as I can tell, the end result of people’s thoughts on that is still the same. One person appears to be against that specific suggestion because it wouldn’t make sense realistically. One person believes that it doesn’t need to make sense realistically. Either way, the entire “realism” part is rendered irrelevant to everyone, right? That’s the part nobody seems to care for here, it’s just a different lack of caring (kinda like a disregard versus a disdain).

In this case, the discussion was about the practicality of a solid steel base. Although I don’t agree with that suggestion for my own personal reasons, I don’t feel that the impracticability of building a completely steel base is super relevant to Unturned. Not in the context of whether its realistic or not, at least. Whether or not a feature is fun because of its realism feels more relevant to me. A completely steel base being added likely wouldn’t include a ton of realistic gameplay mechanics just because they wouldn’t be fun for players.

Regardless of whether or not it’d make sense, I don’t like the suggestion by @RedCo too much personally. Not at the moment, at least. I want to think of cool building tier stuff too, but I’m also leaning towards concepts and ideas for the implementation of new/improved building mechanics.

• Specifically: going back to the idea of fire in the game, structural/foundation support and such that has been popularly suggested in the past, underwater airlock bases, electricity and machinery, etc. :thinking:

But at the moment, all I can really say to explain my dislike for a “solid steel base” would be that it seems awkward to have a “generic metal” and then a “solid steel.” That, and it doesn’t flow well with the original post. Seems too end-game and overkill.

2 Likes

Look. @MoltonMontro
That was way too long for me to read LOL

@Sirba I got a question for ya, an honest one. Do you not want practicalibility?

The point Sirba made is that practicality isn’t a factor in Unturned, and I disagreed. Sirba, rather than argue that I was wrong, cherrypicked two definitions in attempt to discredit what I said.

I still think that Nelson is making 4.0 more realistic just for the sake of said realism. The new playermodels have boots and gloves, something that I personally have never seen being asked for. Clothes are being meshed, guns are dropping casings. None of these things are really “fun” to me. They just make sense to have.

Edit: Obligatory edit because you’ve edited your post like 5 times now and I want you to feel loved.

Edit 2: I think you may have an editing addiction and I’m here to give you the help you need if you ever ask.

1 Like

Boots and gloves have been asked to be separate in the past, but they’re also mostly a thing Nelson wanted. Nelson adds stuff he’d like to the game.

Meshed clothing is something people have wanted for a while, and made sense with the graphical overhaul for the game. They serve literally no positive nor negative gameplay purpose though, yeah.

The improved bullet casing system has been suggested for a while, and functions for gameplay too by generating sound.

EDIT: :green_heart: i spent more time condensing my post than expanding it, and it didn’t help reduce it…

1 Like

I only replied that way because I wanted to make sure we wouldn’t be talking about two different things by accident. And, in response to what you’ve said in the same comment, I’m sure even if 4.0 is going to be more realistic that Nelson won’t be caring if his game correctly portrays metal forging physics.

but add a completely new clothing category of it serves no purpose like shoes and gloves.

If you want, check out some of the other threads on the forum for speculation as to what shoes/gloves could statistically be for, if anything.

Wouldn’t both of these just be found at construction sites? :thinking: Feels like Brick Bases 2.0

1 Like

Keke.
Me like my walls of steel.

Wouldn’t both of these just be found at construction sites? :thinking: Feels like Brick Bases 2.0

Yeah they could. I would imagine the player would be more driven to craft concrete though since I forgot to mention it would be rare.

You have any thoughts on this to help elaborate?

Bricks could be easier to to make in bulk because pretty much all you’d need is at the construction site. Concrete could be more complicated (and in the case of 4.0 probably heavier) requiring more outside ingredients and possibly more tools.

Bricks you could just find and lay down. (To keep it simple more or less, or more steps for balancing.)
Concrete you might need to use one of those concrete mixer things, which could take a considerable amount of time to make one structure.

The only thing that concerns me this way is that I feel most people would just go with bricks, since it’d be the great median that’s both stronger than wood for just a little more work, but easier than concrete and composite because you don’t need to wait such a long time or get as many materials. More balancing and thought is needed for this, but it’s going in a great direction imo.

2 Likes

Thank you! I hadn’t even thought of a concrete mixer yet but that could be what seperates bricks from concrete.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Brick bases require only bricks. But cement requires a “Floor Frame + Cement = Concrete Floor”
That’s how it should be in my opinion. and the frames require metal bars or anything metal

no need for cement mixers when Nelson mentioned in his trello that crafting will require time rather than instant crafting. Which can be managed regarding cement

as for cement mixers, I believe these would be unnecessary additions since then you would have to make vulnerable structures in order to make a base to protect them.
as I said, crafting the concrete structures will need more time than others since Nelson said there will be no more instant crafting. at least he wants to do that

It’s a compilation of ideas. There’s been many posts previously discussing how/why timed crafting is a bad idea, especially in implementations that disable or reduce player movement, and how it can better function in conjunction with other items/crafting stations if it was a feature at all.

I wouldn’t rule out cement mixers as a possible balancing mechanic because of something on the Trello, basically.

1 Like

well, the way I thought about it is that you can craft up to 3 at once, and you can move around during the process.
because I honestly don’t like the idea that you need to make a mixer that will be vulnerable in order to make a base, which is the sole purpose of making a base… protecting your items and machines.
That’s why I’m not 100% giving in to the mixer idea. I mean other stations such as a fireplace and a smelter would be fine, because you can craft them in your base. But mixers are what make your base in the first place (hey, that rhymed)

I would just move the cement mixer afterwards then, assuming salvaging barricades/structures is not removed.

1 Like

You would have to use the mixer multiple times to make a decent base until you can move it inside which would make it very vulnerable for a good amount of time until it can be safely protected

Idk, I still stand by “no mixers”