Basic and Advanced Movement Suggestions

So you’re telling me diving is the same as sprinting, jumping, and proning.
Not to say it isn’t, but that making it easier altogether is usually a good idea.

this is exactly what you are not doing by throwing x into the mix, you are making it needlessly complicated

Having a simple Shift + X combo to making diving prone easier to pull off without having to sprint, jump and then prone in midair is more complicated?

you’ve missed the point so hard that i’m in actual, physical pain. i’m done.

1 Like

Huh. I guess you’re just bad at explaining things then.

Maybe reread everything we’ve said about why having “Z for prone and Shift+X to quickly go prone” rather than having it be more like the simpler and more consistent “C for crouch and Shift+C to quickly crouch” is a bad idea.

Uhhh, no. Shift + C isn’t crouch, it’s slide, when sprinting, which puts the player in a position more similar to prone than crouch.

Oh there’s a separate pose for laying on your back/bum that can only be entered by pressing Shift+C.

In that case, let me recommend that:

Laying prone should be done by pressing Z, sitting on your bum should be done by pressing X, and crouching should be done by pressing C.

Throwing/jumping/falling/sliding/rolling yourself into a prone, sitting, or kneeling position should be done by pressing Shift+[the pose’s respective key]

i think when you’re jumping from a high height or from an aircraft then you should look like you’re actually skydiving with your body flat, and with W and S you could move a bit and it’d look like you’re diving or falling backwards.

That’s…
Getting on your back should only be possible with a slide or by rolling over when prone. It’s idiotic to just suddenly, you know, lay down on your back in the middle of a firefight, a slide is more natural, no?

Yes please.

Again you misunderstood. He is not talking about a gunfight. Redcomm what you basically said was: z is to prone. Shift + x is to dive to a prone. If that is the case, then why make the dive key x instead of z? It just makes thing more complicated if the buttons for “special actions” have no correlation to a non-special action (like a stomach slide and to lie down)

For example, lets say that jump is spacebar. You press the spacebar and your character jumps. Now, lets say you want to do a backflip (for explanation purposes only) and the keybindings are numpad 1 and 2. Since your character has to jump to do a backflip, it makes no sense for the keybindings for a backflip numpad 1 and 2. Something which would make more sense would be space + numpad 1

Alright, alright, I get it now. All he wants is some consistency.

Brilliant. Also, i suggest a system where the character could rapple off a building or rock face to lessen fall damage and breach through windows

I understand why the back would be down during the sliding animation, but why would you keep your back down against the ground afterwards?
This

Would be a far more useful pose to end up in
than this
lyingomback

That’s what I meant.

If that’s what you meant, then I don’t see why it “would be idiotic to do in a firefight.”

I meant that you don’t just lie down in the middle of a firefight, you either roll over from prone or you slide.

Well you didn’t really give a reason why regularly going prone would be any better than diving into prone.

Because going prone takes a short animation and diving is nearly instant.