Building stability and strong winds

So I have 2 suggestions that also kinda tie in with eachother.

I think there should be a new factor to building, and that’s stability. This would also be calculated with multiple things in mind. Like height of the building, size of the building, materials of the building and pillars. So sky bases would no longer exist because they’d instantly crumble. Stability would also help in raids, so if you have a very stable building, destroying a floor wouldn’t make the whole thing collapse (destroying most of them will, though).

There should also be a wind system, with wind direction and strength. This would affect bullet travel, the stronger the wind in a direction, the more you’ll have to compensate for it. Telling the wind direction would be as simple as looking at a bush or tree, if it’s slightly waving to the right, then the wind is weak and blowing right. If it’s making the bush almost pop out the ground, then get back to base because you’ll have some repairing to do. Wind will knock down unstable houses. Bases would lose as many blocks as possible until it gets small enough to be stable and survive. A giant wooden base would crumble in seconds whereas a small stone bunker would have no problem.

1 Like

The building stability topic was already covered in posts like this:

And wind affecting bullet trajectory is already on the 4.x wishlist. Also buildings being collapsed by wind was discussed in other various posts relating to weather and enviroment.

Connecting the idea of stability and wind seems like a good idea, provided either of them is good to begin with.

Structure stability is heavily oversuggested and likely planned at this point.

Wind will currently affect projectiles and foliage, but using strong winds with building stability could prove rather interesting and promote some real architectural skill. It’s definitely way better than the post person (that I shall not mention) that suggested unstoppable tornadoes that practically delete your entire base.

I like that you’ve taken two good mechanics on their own and connected them together.

2 Likes

The post you’re referring to didn’t suggest that. The OP only mentioned tornadoes as something that wouldn’t fit with the game, in order to suggest a limit to the magnitude of weather events.

I wouldn’t appreciate my giant, reasonably built wooden base, to crumble to pieces.

However my 20 tall, but 1 wide one sure. Have it fall.

Also… Regarding buildings falling down, like that floor of a base, maybe have falling buildings kill or severely hurt players around or under it, and maybe if that piece is stable enough it still stays somewhat together, like in a 5x5 base, and floor 4 is blown off, maybe some of floor 5 survives but is merely laying upon floor 3.

And another multiplayer of damage is applied from fall damage, upon no support.

So knock out floor 1, of a 2 story metal 1x2 base, and the top may survive, somewhat.

And maybe have rubble temporary exist, from where it fell, and broke at, which weather away over time. Maybe a crate or safe survived in that mess.

Just my thought and opinion.

Yeah sorry, I meant to refer to that one person stubbornly in support of tornadoes which I still will refrain from naming

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.