Crafting Animations and Real time cooking

So i saw some old crafting topics discussing the whole system, crafting times, crafting tables and such. I did not see anything about a possible crafting animation.

What if during the crafting que of making something (if implemented) it would be cool if instead of just standing with your arms dangling near a crafting table or anvil or lathe, your character could interact with it.

Like with an anvil you could be swinging a hammer and hitting the anvil, or operating a lathe/milling machine, nothing too crazy but real simple like just operating the wheels.

Something basic like nails would only take a 3 or so seconds but if you where to make 10 or 20 you would be sitting there hitting the anvil for a hot minute.

This to me would be super satisfying to at night in my base swinging away at my anvil or making parts on the lathe with little animations and “appropriate construction noises”. I saw Nelson talking about different levels of darkness at night in his trello. This would be the perfect time to sit in base and get all your crafting and cooking done.

Also simple things not requiring a forge, anvil, lathe, or any table for example making a spear would just be the animation 3.0 has now for entering your inventory (the rummaging of your hands).

Idk if anyone knows about World of Warcraft crafting and animations, but my animation ideas come from that (not the crafting system itself).

The cool thing would be if you where making a end game gun or crafting something big that would take a minute or two it would feel pretty good operating the lathe or drilling holes with the mill for a time to craft this epic item weapon compared to standing there looking at a timer.

Also with cooking Idk if anyone has Sea of Thieves but they added a new cooking system to there game i really really like. (Look it up on you tube if you haven’t seen it) They have stove tops and pans on tripods over fires you can cook fish and meat on, but when you cook it you place the food on top the stove and you can see it cooking with satisfying frying and popping noises. I would love to see that implemented into U2. Would feel very survivally to build a fire and put a pan over with your venison you just hunted and watch it cook over the fire instead of getting lvl 1 cooking and clicking craft.

Also later on maybe you could make a large flat iron stove. And could lay multiple meats on the stove and cook them all at once. Flipping burgies.

What you guys think, I would love to see these added, to me it would make the game feel rewarding and add to the survival aspect.

6 Likes

I like the idea, but the crafting time is not very good.

That would be a bit boring in my opinion though, I like the idea of a fixed time (regardless of the amount of items), for example, if I build a nail, I spend 2 seconds, if I build 20 nails I spend 2 seconds (assuming the animation of the character interacting with the anvil is 2 seconds), this would be to have a chance to cancel the construction of the item I accidentally set to do.

Now the idea of crafting animations, specifically, I like a lot.
It would be quite satisfying to see the character interacting with the building benches.

As for food, I prefer a simpler way like in minecraft, where we put the item to be cooked in the bonfire inventory and in a few seconds it will be ready, it might be interesting if it stays a long time in the bonfire that it burns and disappear (?).

2 Likes

.>be me
.>play unturned
.>hungry
.>legoyodadeathsound.mp3
.>nelson updates cooking
.>you now have to place food on top
.>drop a raw fish
.>it drops on the ground
.>nolsonfixnow.jpg
.>realize I have to climb onto the stove to place it
.>jump on top of fire
.>burn to death immediately
.>mfw

4 Likes

Brilliant idea, but it does have to be refined a bit so people don’t stand on a fire or heat source to cook something and burn themselves.

However, everything else sounds amazing for Unturned II. This would work in a group. Though I do enjoy the relaxing task of fishing.

“Realism for the sake of realism is never good”. I’m ok with a system that Breath of the Wild has for cooking, where you can wait and watch the animation or skip it. But waiting for minutes for food to cook or for a crafting recipe to finish is just tedious and annoying

4 Likes

starbound has this, but there is no reason at all for it. In that game it’s just annoying

1 Like

Really, I’ve already spent so much of my life waiting for my bandages to be ready! :rage:

Just to clear everything up, I never wanted people to have to stand on the fire lol. I thought it was implied when I brought it up you would hit like F or something to interact with fire/stove/pan and be able to drag the uncooked food into it. I did not want people to have to hop on top of a red hot stove to cook some beef.

1 Like

I mean to cook a chunk of meat would take like 30 secs to a minute, I did not mean like 4 mins. I was talking about if you had to build like 500 nails. 30 secs to long?

never played that game but rust has the same concept and I like it.

Rust is different, for crafting you have to be near the station in order to craft high-tier items so it makes sense, i’m thinking things would be a lot different if rust didn’t have the crafting system it had

that’s what I am saying, being near stations (lathes and mills) to craft things you can not craft with your hands, you can not craft nails with your hands. Building a spear could be done anywhere with a little 4 second craft animation, Even in rust you gotta wait for a minute for your spear to craft in the inventory, to me that is not tedious and annoying, it is just the pace and balance of the game. Even to build low tier things you still need a table (nail gun and pipe shotgun). If you want to make gun powder you need a lvl 1 workbench and each one takes like 2 seconds, so if you wanna make 500 you will have to sit a wait. I usually do it at night in my base cause it is to dark outside anyway.

Fuck no
As what syero said earlier, Starbound had this mechanic and it was widely hated in the community.

I’m fine with animations for crafting. Would be pretty cool to see my character smack metal with Hammer

Ok nails take longer to create because you have to cast the shape of the nail, melt down metal, pour the metal in and finnaly wait for it to cool. So no 3 three seconds. But then again it is a videogame.

This Would be the shitiest night since you’re swinging from 10pm to 2am because of how long it takes

So I have never seen star-bound or heard of it and decided to search it up. I might be watching old videos of game maybe there has been some updates but the cooking time is like 1 second for some beef. I did see some forums of people being upset about the update they added to crafting times. Correct me if I am wrong I don’t know a lot about the game. I do not think they went about the crafting times right in that game. But look at Rust I think it has a very good crafting time and cook time. Also I brought up sea of thieves with there cook time and that community loved it. I mean to make something like a Maplestrike it should take at least a minute, if you do not have the patience for a minute to make a end game gun then you have an issue.

Your over thinking it and blowing it way out of proportion. Think in Unturned 3 how many nails you need for things. Say you have to build 10? That would take 30 secs each one for 3 seconds and Nelson could make it make 5 or 10 nails per craft. Same in Rust, you need 50 Low grade fuel to make a furnace. Each low grade fuel craft takes 3 seconds and produces like 3 or 5 low grade fuel. It sets the pace of the game. I do that every night in rust and adds to the survival factor of the game. It is a survival game after all.

Also how could they be crafting animations if all the crafting is instant?

If it’s a animation that doesn’t loop 100 times and isn’t long then it’s practically instant.
Especially if crafting 100 of one item makes the animation stay the same length instead of looping 100 times

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.