Devlog Frequency

I’ve been really hyped for Unturned II, and have been checking the blog, the trello, and this form very frequently. I agree with Nelson’s approach of making the fundamentals of this game as good as possible and I’m totally fine with waiting for longer if that means a better and more polished game. I’ve programmed recreationally for a few years now and played around with unity for a bit and can see how hard making a game, especially on your own, can be and I don’t know how Nelson can pull it off. Though I don’t think a large achievement every week could be possible and would be too rushed, it would be nice to be in the know of what Nelson is working on. Maybe every Friday he could post a mini-Devlog. There doesn’t have to be anything big, just a simple progress report, like: “Finishing up the new clothes for the redesigned player model” and maybe a screenshot or two. It’s always nice to know that progress is being made, and those screenshots and videos really get me hyped for II.

TL;DR - It would be nice if Nelson could post a mini-Devlog once a week or so, just to have the reassurance that progress is being made. Just a simple statement of what he’s working on, and if we’re lucky a screenshot too.

Edit: Apparently Nelson Considered this already. Here’s a later reply I made talking about it if you don’t want to read through the replies: Devlog Frequency

7 Likes

The frequency of Devlogs so far has been for the most part 1-2 a month, so it’s safe to say #14 will be out by the end of August. It would be nice to see occasional mini-Devlogs though.

2 Likes

Yeah, the problem is that they aren’t that consistent, which is fine for the normal devlogs because he posts them whenever there have been a lot of changes, but with these mini-Devlogs they could be consistent, even if there isn’t much new. That way we can know that there is constant progress.

1 Like

Maybe in these moo devlogs, he could announce WIP things. And in the normal devlogs it shows the more polished thing of that.

Nelson doing weekly status updates would likely force him into a position where everyone expects something major to be done every week.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it - his current pace is good.

3 Likes

I believe if he makes it a different type of devlog like a mini-Devlog, or even just says what he’s working on his twitter there probably wouldn’t be high expectations, unlike the actual dev logs. Plus even some of the dev logs are mainly technical which though show improvements the majority of people don’t really care about them.

I’d rather have a slow-paced quality Devlog rather than the small hasty ones.

3 Likes

You right.
I’m just here waitin, I used to have Regular status but tbh Im losing drive to hop onto the forums.

The best thing Ive heard this month was the EULA suggestion. Made my month.

1 Like

Yeah if only the cause for suggesting it was legit enough.

Getting off tracks here.

This isn’t to replace the normal devlogs, just to be in contact with what’s going on with development in a more regular and scheduled format, there doesn’t have to be anything new, I’m only asking a simple progress report to know what’s going on.

I know what you mean, you want “mini-devlog” and regular devlog.

But people don’t really like to hear something like “Hey, today I fixed the grass’s mixing texture.” or “Hey, today I added this dope feature, now if you’re hungry you have to EAT.” or “Hey, I’ve opened the Unreal engine, very cool.”

Chances are, it would just destroy the hype rather than making it. Sure, you’re probably fine with huge logs of “mini-devlogs” but others don’t. And making “mini-devlog” would be an everyday chores for Nelson anyways, not good for all of us except for few.

Just be patient, and you’ll get your “reward”.

2 Likes

I don’t think that anything should be rushed, or any faster. I agree that Nelson should take his time to make the game as polished as possible. It would be nice to have more communication, just to know what’s happening even if it isn’t much, knowing that Nelson is doing something can give more assurance to the progress. Though Loz_lusterclux brings up a good point, for some this may possibly kill hype

bro i wasn’t being serious i literally linked a clip from toy story 2

mainly replaying to Loz_lusterclux, but replied to newest message

I agree.
Even if it’s jus a simple status report or a “I’m gona do this and that” I would be happy to see it. Doesn’t even take that much time to do (5 to 10 minutes?) and it helps in keeping people interested.

1 Like

To be fair he already does this, but he just does it during the main devlogs, and not a week after the main devlog. If he knows what he’s focusing on, he’s usually already told us.

Right now, he’s working on character animation and weapon rigging. Once those are implemented (which I’d assume we’d see the newer animations or get the newer rig immediately after its completion), he’s going to work on reimplementing everything else. A small beta may release between those two things.

A Trello card was made for character animations and weapon rigging revamps. It hasn’t been completed yet, but is marked as the current focus. It is safe to assume that it’s not done, thus there’s nothing new (not even minor) to tell people, as that’s the only focus until after its completion.

Are more devlogs nice? Yeah.

Do I think he has something worth showing off, even for a “mini-Devlog?” Not really, no. He’s redoing stuff he told us he was going to do.

It’s not about having something to show off, instead it’s more about having a constant feedback with his community, a comunication channel with us that would also replace the old weekly updates thing we were used to and that many appreciated. It’s also one of those unique things that made this game what it is.

TL;TR: it doesn’t matter which content is showed, if any content at all. Important is to have a stable comunication with his community.

I don’t disagree with that though. However, Nelson interacts with the community all the time already. Not on a daily basis, but it’s still pretty frequent, so whenever posts like these come up I’m confused as to what they’re asking for.

He will probably be posting tomorrow on monday.