Discussing the Unturned 4.0 Player Model

The Unturned 3 player model is pretty bad. Not art wise, It has it’s charm, but geometrically wise, it’s terrible. I don’t think there’s any need for me to show how it deforms playing some animations.

4.0’s most recent model already looks much better, with better geometry and animation capability, but I think it can be even better.

The most important thing in low poly models (like the one in Unturned) is good topology. Many times in 3.0 the geometry overlaps, or creates unpleasant bends.

4.0 Is much better in that regard, but those problems still exist.

Here for example the shoulder got a little pushed in.

Long and Boring bits

Here’s the basic mesh I created

Front

Back

This triangle helps with shoulder deformation

At the back, a collapsed edge for the knee bending.

With the arm there was a problem when it was rotating up, a simple fix is to rig a bone that has the bad deforming part of the mesh attached to it, and a simple constraint pushing it out of that uncomfortable spot when the arm rotates. It can also be adjusted manually if something breaks.
7 - Basic bone setup for fixing bad bending

Here’s how the fix looks in action

Another problem, the forearm isn’t bending correctly
11 - Fix for Yaw bending isn't necessarry

A simmilar fix, will do the trick.

There’s another BIG problem tho. The legs are bending very poorly. There’s not enough geo to support these shapes.

This problem was the hardest one to fix, but I still got it to look good enough.

What I did here, is use a constraint that would react to the leg rotating in a certain direction. But because It’s rotating a linear constraint won’t work to well, so I had to use some really confusing Tangent stuff, which requires a lot of maths, which I couldn’t be bothered to look into so I just eyeballed it.
This tho, is the most important part. I had to separate the middle vertex into 3 vertecies that could then be attributed to their respective bones.

Then I repeated this fix for the other axis.

The Final mesh has really nice flexibility, and at the same time, (in my opinion) retains the Unturned style

22 - Fotm Back

(He’s NOT dabbing)

Here’s the shotgun example from earlier compared to my take (I’m to lazy to model a shotgun sorry)

And the most important part is that the model and animations can all be exported to the game engine. I don’t know how Unreal or Unity work, but I do know, that you can’t import the rig (Unless you can?) and the animations have to be baked on a deform rig, which is easily possible with this model!

It’s also not hard at all to add additional geometry for better bending (like the torso).

Here’s the final model

And here’s the .blend file

How to make this model yourself, because It's not hard at all

Be assured, I didn’t come up with this on my own. This is apparently how Industry people do this so I just applied it to the Unturned model.

In Blender, subdivide the default cube twice, and apply it.

Then, select this specific part of the created mesh
2 Select this part of the mesh 3 Symmetrically
And extrude it along normals (Alt+E) 4 Extrude along normals

It should look like this, after it’s done, delete the sphere in the middle
5 make it look like this 6 delete the sphere in the middle

Extrude a bunch of faces until you get this funky look, and then it gets easy.

Dissolve unnecessary edge loops, flatten zoom, enhance.
8 after a few tweeks, the desired result in less than 10 minutes
And we’re done in less than 10 minutes

30 Likes

Yo amazing work!

6 Likes

Thank you for including a lot of images.

14 Likes

Yeah… I may have overdone it a bit…

3 Likes

Overdoing it isn’t a bad thing really, it just means it’s more flexible and won’t have to be changed for possible future features that need a very flexible character model.

6 Likes

Here is the finished rig

IK and FK swtich for each limb (Click N and open up properties)

The head, torso and every FK bone has a hinge, that locks its rotation to World Space as opposed to Local Space.
Hinge

If I had knowledge of programming, I could make some fancy menu, with IK FK snapping, sadly tho, I suck at that.
I’ll add normal maps and do some animations tomorrow.

2 Likes

Nelson, you better be taking notes!

3 Likes

When the player does a better job than the developer :triumph:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Nelson’s been using Blender far longer than I have. I’m in no way better than him I mean, we still don’t have access do the Denizen rig which might have all the things I talked about! I just couldn’t wait to check it out so I swiftly made a scuffed one myself.

7 Likes

Didn’t mean in the sense that he doesn’t know what he’s doing, i just meant it in a way that giving the model a triangle at the joints is a smart idea, since there’s not exactly anything on the model itself that allows joints to function somewhat realistically, unless you change the topology like this. And also giving it more subdivisions for proper twisting. Nelson can definitely adopt this topology to better the character model’s functionality.

Also, you’re being humble. It’s not bad to own a little of your success!
Not that being humble is a bad thing.

3 Likes

Very nice work! I am certainly taking notes.

Your trick to prevent clipping on the back of the knee is clever. Will have to experiment with that.

At one point I tried something similar with the armpits, but felt it did not match the blocky character. In retrospect that might be dumb considering the character rarely sticks their arm out sideways like that, and ends up with triangular shapes in many poses anyways.

Using fixup joints to preserve volume at those bends is a good idea. If used in the game I would probably have some code for them in-engine rather than in the animation file, that way they would be consistently applied to all animations after blending.

The Unturned II rig does have IK / FK pose matching, but I am not sure how you would do that in Blender without scripts. It is something I intend to read up about.

Here is what the mesh density for the current model looks like. There are subdivisions that may seem unnecessary for posing, but I found they were essential for accurately transferring skin weights to the meshed clothing, and reducing clothing clipping in-game:

Again nice post and inspiring me to revisit the model. :slight_smile: Gameplay will be prioritized for the next few months, but I am confident that these sorts of improvements can be made to the existing rigs.

28 Likes

Damm gal that’s pretty epic

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, the best dev on planet earth.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read my incredibly messy post! @MrObi is absolutely correct

Also, I do have an idea on how you would simplify IK/FK snapping in Blender with just a few more bones.

Arrows point to the parents
I found this setup on youtube, and it works perfectly.

Important note: the IK control, and all 3 pole vector mechanical bones, have their bone roll set to 0. Otherwise they may get weird rotations

FK has pretty much the exact same setup with a few minor changes, that way it should copy over perfectly.

It is possible to do it entirely with code, but I think this will make it a bit easier.

Sorry if this feels very hand-holding, I just don’t know how familiar you are with Blender’s rigging tools since you had to switch to Maya for that. I hope this is useful!

6 Likes

This weekend I experimented with “shape keys” / “morph targets” as an alternative to fix up the elbow, knee and hip deformations and it seems promising. Using the bone angle to drive the shape key value if you want to try that out.

23 Likes

I didn’t know you could use shape keys in Unreal, that’s awesome! Some Ideas already sprung up, will hop onto it right now.

1 Like

This is my first reply on the forums so I’m not sure if I am allowed to ask here or through a private message another way but can I use the model that MrKoix created in a game that I am creating? Or would that be ripping Nelson off? Thanks for any replies!

6 Likes

You can use it if you want, but you might want to ask Nelson too.

Don’t see why asking Nelson would be necessary.
The model is just a simple low-poly model, there’s nothing unique here, per se.

You could say that the minecraft model is also simple and low poly, yet the two are quite distinguishable.

1 Like