Do you think UII will be on consoles?

Think with me. Unturned II has controller support on the works. Easily, this could evolve into UII being on consoles.

You know Fortnite? Yes, that one game everyone hates because 7yos keep talking about it? It’s on many devices and platforms currently. It’s for PC, Mobile, PS4, Xbox and the Switch.

What does both Fortnite and UII have in common? They’re both made on Unreal Engine 4.

But as a Switch owner myself, I gotta say that FN does not run smoothly on it, capped at 30fps. It’s possible that the same happens to UII if Nelson puts it on the Switch, for example, leading to fans asking for optimizations on the game’s port. Not to mention it would require heavier optimizations for mobile, which is pretty unlikely to get a port on.

However, it could be popular on the other platforms (aka xbox and ps4), without requiring as much optimization for said consoles.

But what do you all think? Keep in mind this is a serious post, so please don’t derail it (I got my eyes on you, pesky). Thanks for reading!

Edit: if worked out, crossplay could also be added into the game, imagine playing Athens on the Switch vs Xbox users :eyes:

4 Likes

I really doubt it. I think the game will be too complex overall for consoles and modding support would be pretty hard to do for consoles.

4 Likes

I think it would halve the playerbase, and because crossplay is impossible due to balance reasons (PC players just straight up have better aim because keyboard/mouse and lack of input lag compared to keyboard and mouse on PS4, but honestly I would be fine with crossplay as a pc player because it would mean more ezpz kills (but it probably wouldnt work out because it would be unfair to non-pc players)) it would end up with a seemingly non-net increase of players, because I doubt it would straight up double the playerbase. Also, It would probably be very difficult for nelson to keep up with both games without letting one lag behind update wise. Console play would come with lots of problems as well, I used to play R6S on the ps4 and in more “competitive” play everyone was just using a keyboard and mouse plugged in. This would happen in UII as well, with keyboard and mouse play station players scrubbing the floor with normal players, leading to a lot of complaints. (I’m not sure if you can somehow stop people from using keyboard/mouse but :man_shrugging:) Also as teh mentioned modding would be rough, I have no idea how that would be integrated, and it would hurt be annoying to modders in the long run if they had to work with two seperate mod uploading things.

At the end of the day I think it is pretty unnecessary and would just slow down dev time.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, yes, it would indeed be difficult for Nelson to keep up with all platforms at the same time (kinda my fault as I compared Nelson to Epic games, which is a crazy comparison)

Maybe that’s just me as I’m a Nintendo guy, but doesn’t Xbox and PS4 games have support for that? But I see your point.

No clue. Bethesda games had their modding thing but that was poorly implemented, and other than that I dont think there are any others

I can only say that it IS possible for a console port. However I would still say that it does not mean it should have a port simply because it’s possible.

Most common reasons people mention in their porting suggestion are:

• provides an alternative platform for those who have crap PCs or they are more confident on the console
  • expands community

But is it worth the effort or time investment? As said in a previous thread, it would be the last thing to be worked on

2 Likes

Let PC have some nice exclusive games, too

1 Like

Long term… I wouldn’t rule it out! But my personal development time will always be on PC, so it would be a publisher developing it. I have fond memories playing games splitscreen which is one of the reasons splitscreen+gamepad support is such a high priority. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

So thats that!

Now we can stop arguing about this.

Yo is that fuckin Tomoko I see

I think to be honest Nelson would most likely focus on PC .
Unturned II on console would be a good idea but it’s a lot of hard work and I don’t think Nelson alone will be able to keep up the 2 platforms updated .

cough cough

cough cough cough

However, it would for sure help Unturned growing immense

I’m not sure about that but mkay

maybe not immensely, but yeah, definitely a growth.

1 Like

Expanding to different platforms cant hurt. All Unturned can possibly get is more exposure. Limiting it so one platform only cuts the possible playerbase in half.

1 Like

move unturned to 64

1 Like

Unturned II, now available for Atari TOS and the TI-85.

3 Likes

I thought you were dead