Doors and locks

For more thoughts on this topic see Battering Ram and Lock Wooden Doors

id thing vault door has build in code lock and a ultra powerful deadbolt but also if a metal door with a lock is on a wooden doorframe make it still battering rammable mixing this with the battering ram idea

The strength of the battering ram that I described is that it would be able to break locks even if they’re on the other side of the door. The combination lock on the vault door is an integral part of the vault door. Breaking the vault door with a battering ram would be the same as breaking it with a sledgehammer.

i was mainly putting my idea in battering rams here for extra influence and exposure

If I put a lock on a door, and the key side was on the other side that I was on, in theory, I’d be able to open it? Wouldn’t that also be the same for a code lock?

All very cool ideas! Works well with all buildings spawning with doors in 4.

9 Likes

I don’t understand your question. I edited the post, so maybe the information your looking for is in there.

I see now. I like your suggestion very much. I also just want to see what it would be like to put 10+ deadbolts on a door and when someone wants to come in, they get to hear the sound of me unlocking each of them. Basically, great suggestion.

Would be good for barricaded buildings, you could find a locked door, use a battering ram, and find at least somewhat better loot than normal houses.

maybe this change the concept of group in unturned i like this!

The only problem I see is if I put 10 locks on a door, it would render the battering ram useless, which was meant to be a epic rarity item, due to it being able to bust through any wooden door. I’d only say that anything below a code lock can be broken through, no matter how many locks.

I already wrote the solution

Meaning each door has a set maximum number of locks. I think that number might vary from one type of door to another.

but ofc with 10(holy heck thats a lot) deadbolts itll take a LOT of swings with the incredibly slow battering ram

But you’re rendering an item useless with this. If the locks are easy to make then the battering ram will go under the ‘useless’ category.

No one said locks would be easy to make, although I imagine some of them would be, since they are going to be used for both storage, and buildables.
My idea for balancing the battering ram is different from the post I linked to. My take on the battering ram is that it would be a melee weapon, similar to the sledgehammer, that would damage all locks on a door, instead of merely damaging the door. It would be useful when a player comes across a door that is strong enough to keep them out, but is not fully outfitted with locks, or if the player wants to pass through a locked door, but also wants to be able to close the door behind themself. (Keep in mind that in 4.X buildings will already have built-in doors, and possibly locks.)

But then everyone would put on locks. It’s a matter of keeping everything balanced so that it’s useful.

Of course everyone will want to put locks on their doors. In 3.X everyone wants vault doors, but there’s a progression to loot. Not everything can be useful in all situations.

And then no one will want battering rams because everyone’s got 5 locks on their door.

Good locks would most likely be difficult to find or make, and would need to be distributed between doors, windows, storage, and possibly vehicles, even the best locks would have less health than some doors.

I’m just going to rephrase what you said.

It’s balanced because it’s rare.